No Wifi Calling With TMobile

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Just got an email today from TMobile saying how easy it is to use wifi calling........and (listen to the trumpet fanfare) --they are the only carrier who offers free wifi calling.

Everything sure looked easy so I decided to give it a try. My phone is always set for our home wifi so no problem having it on. Then I see, on Tmobile's website that wifi calling is not available for this device. We've only had these phones for about 10 weeks now and we are paying for extra data, too. Is it that these phones are not popular enough or what??

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Just got an email today from TMobile saying how easy it is to use wifi calling........and (listen to the trumpet fanfare) --they are the only carrier who offers free wifi calling.

Everything sure looked easy so I decided to give it a try. My phone is always set for our home wifi so no problem having it on. Then I see, on Tmobile's website that wifi calling is not available for this device. We've only had these phones for about 10 weeks now and we are paying for extra data, too. Is it that these phones are not popular enough or what??

It is just not a feature that is available on the Nexus 4. I've seen references that there is a bounty (whatever that means) over on XDA developers for somebody who figures out how to enable it on the Nexus 4. Not all of T-mobiles phones have the free wifi calling feature baked into their OS but most of their newer devices have it. It is kind of a moot point because now all of T-mobile's offered plans are unlimited calling -- the one exception being the $30 100 minutes and 5GB data plan -- but the word "free" in "free wifi calling" is not free minutes but referring to the service, functionality, or feature being "free." Your plan's allotted minutes still get deducted which nowadays only matters on the $30 100 minute plan and I suppose possibly on anybody who pays by the minute. You can try a 3rd Party app like GrooveIP which basically offers the same service.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
It's not a moot point, the wifi calling feature is invaluable for people who spend a lot of time in areas where T-Mobile's signal is weak or flaky.
I believe those people are known as "T-Mobile customers" :)

Unlike most VOIP apps, the T-Mobile WiFi calling lets you seamlessly move back and forth from phone to wifi using your own number, and without all the convoluted tricks you need to make a VOIP connection work.

It's not available on the Nexus 4, because it's not a feature of vanilla Android but rather something baked into T-Mobile's ROM like all the other bloatware.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
It's not a moot point, the wifi calling feature is invaluable for people who spend a lot of time in areas where T-Mobile's signal is weak or flaky.
I believe those people are known as "T-Mobile customers" :)

Unlike most VOIP apps, the T-Mobile WiFi calling lets you seamlessly move back and forth from phone to wifi using your own number, and without all the convoluted tricks you need to make a VOIP connection work.

It's not available on the Nexus 4, because it's not a feature of vanilla Android but rather something baked into T-Mobile's ROM like all the other bloatware.

+1. No doubt wifi calling on T-mobile is invaluable. I was saying it is a moot point that wifi calling minutes are still deducted from your plan's talk minutes if you have an unlimited calling plan.

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
We have been places where we had no bars with our cell phones. We had ATT. We could not use it in Fallon, NV but the motel had wifi. I think that a 3rd party app would work fine, but as noted, you have to do more things to use it rather than if TMobile had it for N4's.

Update:

I discovered that there's a way to setup wifi calling with Google voice. So now when I make a call, a popup comes on asking if I want to make the call with Google Voice or TMobile. I'm assuming that this could be annoying to some folks, but it's ok for me. I think that having wifi capability with your cell phone is great! I wish I would have had it on our cruises since the wifi cost on the ship was 75 cents a minute and it took forever to connect to the web. There were always free wifi cafes by the dock so we could have made free calls if we would have had smartphones back then.

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Making a call with google voice is does not use the Wifi/data side of the phone.
It merely uses the cellular minutes and calls a number to google servers then directs the call to the destination number using the caller ID of your google voice number.
I use google voice for a lot of texting and from time to time use it for calls, it still needs to connect to the voice side of the network to make / recieve calls.

snatale42

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Only way to get WiFi calling on that phone is to flash a custom ROM that supports T-Mo WiFi calling. You can't add it via an APK. WiFi calling is very hacked into the OS. I got it working on an AT&T S3 once but I think that may have been easier as TMO actually has S3's with WiFi calling so the ROM was comaptible enough with the phone. I'm not sure what ROM you could pull that off with for a N4. I'll let the pro's handle that. Samsung's are near impossible to brick other phones....not always.

Runner97229

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling DOES NOT WORK. For 9 months now, the only way I have been able to make a Wi-Fi call with T-Mobile is to remove the battery and sim card after each call. More than 75 calls to T-Mobile support has yielded 7 replacement phones (T-Mobile) says it is faulty Galaxy S4 phones - not their issue. Yeah right...........They won't let me out of my contract and now replacement phone #8 is on the way. I used to have 4 lines with them and have bought my way out of 3 contracts. As soon as I can get out of this contrat I AM DONE WITH T-MOBILE forever. T-Mobile SUCKS!

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Ill follow your T-Mobile Sucks with my T-Mobile Rocks. :)
I have no issues using WiFi calling on my Note 2, Note 3, HTC One devices. Oh wait i forgot my original HTC One S.

Tonio G

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello there!
I have a Note 2 and it works ok.
Download the app: "MagicTalk".
I bought my wife the BLU 6.0 HD and had that problem. And solved it using this app when at home; using my Comcast wifi since T-Mobile signal does not work where I live.
:D

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
To follow up to an old thready.
It seems T-Mobile has been working on its WiFi calling issues. Over the past month the Note 3, HTC One M8, HTC One M7, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5 and a few others i think have all had small updates to address WiFi calling. It appears TMO has been doing some major updates to their software and hardware to make this a more reliable feature.

I also got my T-Mobile CellSpot Router and set it up on my apt. That thing works great. I didnt have any issues prior to the updates but i did read many threads with complaints. However it looks like all of that is a thing of the past. UnCarrier 7.0 focuses on WiFi Calling.

mallsop86

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
t-mobile galaxy s5 wifi calling option not available
So I just bought a galaxy s5. I went into settings )) network connections )) more networks )) The only options available under this is "default messaging app," "Mobile networks," and VPN. but there is no option here for Wi-Fi Calling option. Is there a known solution for this? because after a factory reset, and a hard reset... It is still not showing as an option. I figure i'll just have to wait for 4.4.4 to come out, but I don't know why this would happen.

Last edited:

ecfritts

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I am currently an AT&T customer who is taking advantage of T Mobile's Test Drive. They sent me an iPhone 5s to use free for 7 days. I am pretty happy with AT&T (as happy as one can be with a wireless provider) but my wife's iPhone 5s doesn't get a great signal in our house. I read about T Mobile having WiFi calling and decided to give it a try. Just got the phone yesterday so...
We tried WiFi calling this morning and it worked flawlessly. It seems T Mobile is working hard to upgrade their network. A co worker also has T Mobile and told me their service (where we live) is horrible along with WiFi calling. I have 6 more days to use their phone to see if it will work for me and my family...so far so good.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac