1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How can I hide my IP address while browsing on Chrome for Android?

What's the best way to hide my IP on the N4 while browsing on Chrome?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: How to hide ip

Using a vpn app should mask your ip. Now, my question is, why would you need to hide your ip? Oh and for the app there's vpn one click which I like

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
    EWY

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

I use IPvanish on my notebook and it also works on phones.

ROM
    4.3 unlocked and rooted

I use HideMyAss Pro on all my devices and computers and it works very good.
    Living in Puerto Vallarta with my wife and our 5 Kids, Atrix 4G, N4, N5, N7, N10 and a recently adopted MK808B.
    www.romamexico.com

Will the net speed or internet data transfer speed to and fro my device fall if I start using any of this type of apps ?

Sent using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Somdk View Post
    Will the net speed or internet data transfer speed to and fro my device fall if I start using any of this type of apps ?

Probably not in any meaningful way.

However, you will attract the attention of the NSA who WILL be able to figure out who you are despite the masked IP address. As we all know, anyone who wants to mask his IP address must be up to no good.

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Probably not in any meaningful way.

However, you will attract the attention of the NSA who WILL be able to figure out who you are despite the masked IP address. As we all know, anyone who wants to mask his IP address must be up to no good.
    Okay thats was informative. :-). I am currently using a false VPN app to control all the apps that connect to the internet. The times when I use it, it's makes the device heat up. Is that natural ?

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I tried hidemyass , but it didn't work quite as well as expected. Any others?

Hidemyass is not good for anonymous stuff, they have no problems selling out their users.
    Vpns are good but you've got to trust the vpn, and the only trustable vpn's are the paid ones.
    Your best bet for anonymous browsing is Tor.
    There is Orbot and Orweb in the play store that do that job, but in order to make full use of the combination you'll need to root your device. (I believe you can make any browser that supports socks proxy to work without root, but transparent proxying requires root)

also accessing the play store and other google services over tor could get your account locked so be selective in the apps you choose if you go the transparent proxying method, don't just use the select all option.

The problem remains that your using a device which is designed to keep tabs on what your doing, and in light of recent developments in the news, probably has backdoors in it which could still be used to track what your doing. I love my android, but i would never trust it with anything when i needed true anonymity.

I use unblock-us.com and it works very well

ROM
    4.3 unlocked and rooted

I have found that when using HMA the transfer speeds and ping times are way down. They have to be as you are essentially forwarding all your requests and information through another computer and another set of routers. It depends what you are using it for of course, but I find it quite usable for watching movies while out of the country.
    Living in Puerto Vallarta with my wife and our 5 Kids, Atrix 4G, N4, N5, N7, N10 and a recently adopted MK808B.
    www.romamexico.com

Quote Originally Posted by valpd View Post
    I tried hidemyass , but it didn't work quite as well as expected. Any others?

This is by far the best IP hiding app it also has the best speed

Trust me I've tried out a lot of them

Good luck
    Samuel

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy_Collinsworth View Post
    Now, my question is, why would you need to hide your ip?
    I'm interested in what exactly a website's operator can find out about a visitor WITHOUT bringing in the cops or a private investigator. For example, there are plenty of free IP-lookup services that will tell the operator what your ISP is, but that's it, right? I'm curious because on some sites, the mods will threaten to publish a poster's IP address if he or she misbehaves.

And what other identity-related information does your computer or phone automatically share with the operator? For example, if you've named your N4 "John Smith's N4" or your MacBook "John Smith's MacBook," are those names shared with the operator?

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CoMoNexus View Post
    I'm interested in what exactly a website's operator can find out about a visitor WITHOUT bringing in the cops or a private investigator. For example, there are plenty of free IP-lookup services that will tell the operator what your ISP is, but that's it, right? I'm curious because on some sites, the mods will threaten to publish a poster's IP address if he or she misbehaves.

what other identity-related information does your computer or phone automatically share with the operator? For example, if you've named your N4 "John Smith's N4" or your MacBook "John Smith's MacBook," are those names shared with the operator?
    I also recommend using a VPN connection as it will replace your origin IP however, if you're looking to hide your IP address because you're up to no good, you can still easily be traced through interrogating the VPN server activity log, therefore it is very important to find reliable VPN provider with minimum logging policy.
    Thanked by:

Thanks. I'm not doing anything shady, so a VPN would be overkill. I'm just curious what exactly a website operator typically knows about a poster's identity from his or her IP address and whether they can see the name of that person's computer. Maybe one of the mods can chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by CoMoNexus View Post
    Thanks. I'm not doing anything shady, so a VPN would be overkill. I'm just curious what exactly a website operator typically knows about a poster's identity from his or her IP address and whether they can see the name of that person's computer. Maybe one of the mods can chime in.
    VPN is not overkill when operating on open wifi, ie McDonalds, etc.
    I use privateinternet access. Cheap & works good.