YouTube drop tests. I HATE CASES!

rexbaumgartner

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I purchase the Nexus 4 and love the look and design of the phone. Now after watching every drop test video on YouTube and seeing the phone shatter like a cheap glass at the restaurant, what is the point of the beautiful back glass if it will not sustain a simple drop?

I want so much to carry this phone with out a case, I could have picked up I used android if I didnt mind cases, but why is it that LG made this thing so fragile? I even called a local phone repair place and learned they don't have the replacement parts in stock.

How many of you are carrying this phone in its beautiful natural state and not experiencing scratches or breaks?

:confused:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

mr_wendal

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm careful with my phone, and most of the time if I'm using it I'm at a desk or on a couch. I'm a pretty clumsy person, but I don't think I've dropped a phone since my iPhone 4 drop when it first came out, and even that only scuffed a corner. So I guess I have a slightly lower risk of dropping and damaging it, but I haven't had any scares with the Nexus. I don't trust the glass to not get scratched, though, so I keep a screen protector on both sides.

I do have a bumper because I know that the day I take it off I'll drop it, but I don't believe in full size cases. Android phones are already pretty big, and cases collect dirt/dust.

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have an xtremeguard protector onbothe the front and back to protect from scratches. No case. Haven't dropped it, no plans to test the durability by dropping it.

amcity32

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Also, you may have already seen it, there is a case called Rearth Ringke Fusion which has a clear back so you can see the back of the phone.

Posted via Android Central App using my Nexus 4

Edit: I didn't read properly and see you really don't like cases. Sorry about that.

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I ordered mine on launch day back in November, got it in the first wave of shipments, no scratches or blemishes on front or back. I have a case but only use it to set the phone down in my car. Otherwise it remains naked.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Have been using Ringke Slim case and just ordered a dbrand skin and am going to rock it naked. If I drop it I hope the nexus 5 will be out and not sold out.

Posted via Android Central App

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Had mine since December, a couple of minor drops and one from about 6 feet (183cm) when it was on a shelf playing music and just... Threw itself, onto a tiled concrete floor! No cracks or scratches! (Think I got lucky with that last one!)

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I have never dropped any of my other device but for some reason this thing is the most slippery device I have owned lol. I have never actually dropped it it has just fallen off things let's see

Fell off the arm of the couch onto hardwood floor, fell off my entertainment unit (5' high) onto hardwood AMD it fell of the towel rack in my bathroom onto tile no scratches cracks dents anything there is no visual damage anywhere and I am case free. On one occasion the bathroom spill the top plastic separated from the chrom bezel I just snapped it back in and good as new.

rexbaumgartner

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
It is refreshing to hear some of you comment that you haven't experienced a broken phone from a drop; the threads posted by those that have, combined with the YouTube vids have me worried.

While reading over the replies, I began thinking and I don't recall the last time I dropped a phone. I have had every iPhone ever produced as well as numerous android devices (none of which as good as the N4). I am really digging this phone!

I think I will give it a go and carry it as I would like to.... NAKED. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
cased and screen saved since day one. In addition to protecting the phone for better resale, i like how it just looks like another phone to any prospective mugger/robber/thief . Function before fashion

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling that some of these stories about drops from 6 inches caused their phone to break into a million pieces, are a crock. They probably take the actual distance they dropped the phone, and divide by 3, before posting what it here.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I've seen several pictures where the battery has bulged and actually caused to back to flex without breaking or even cracking, some pics up to 1/8". It makes me wonder how a two foot drop onto carpet can shatter the back.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

harsh.jn

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I hate cases. But for this one I had to buy one as due to business I move around a lot and so there is a margin of dropping the phone accidentally. However at home I use it naked.

Sent from my Nexus 4