overcharging nexus 4

hte spageti

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I was probably half asleep and didn't notice my phone was still charging now. I woke up 4am and left my phone charging for 4-6 hours and freaked out. So now my phone drains really damn fast. I downloaded Battery bot, it said 29 minutes ago I was on 94% now it's on 83%, is that even normal? I really hope I didn't damage the battery because I do use this phone A LOT and it would suck if it would die on me when I'm not home. Has anybody left there phone charger overnight?

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Leave on charger every night. No worries, new batteries stop charging when full and have for some time.
Left my old droid x on charger for over a month and ut still works just fine.
Sent from my GT-P6210 using AC Forums mobile app

Andy Bell

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I leave mine on charge overnight every night. The phone detects when it is fully charged and stops the charging process itself so no overcharging occurs.

I would have though that the battery drain you are experiencing is down to apps/services or settings you have enabled.

Andy.

gusar2000

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
But I read this part where Google says charging it for over 2 hours kills the battery..?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
Could you refer to it?
Almost everyone charges devices at night and no one wakes up to disconnect them:D. It's OK.
The ONLY issue with battery degradation could happen to a laptop, which is CONSTANTLY plugged in and always stays at 100% charge. This degrades battery. Some laptops have special app to keep battery at 80% of max charge to prevent it.
So, you probably have software or settings issue as mentioned above.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
But I read this part where Google says charging it for over 2 hours kills the battery..?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

I don't know where you read this but it's bs, I can't imagine how much hassle you've had to put up with cause of this piece of misinformation!

Negative delta v, yo!

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
mine takes over two hours to charge anyway, even longer on usb.
The thought of watching a modern phone for 2 hours then ripping the plug out disturbs me a little.