Nexus 4 stopped getting any mobile service

Marcin Sliwa

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey,

I have a problem. My google nexus 4 worked perfectly until last week when it suddenly stopped geting mobile service. It just says "No service" and I can't do any phone calls, send messages or use data. Otherwise the device works perfectly fine. It seems to see the sim card, but then it does not get any mobile service. I tested three sim cards from three provider and nothing. One of them is protected by a pin code and it did ask me to provide pin but when I put the card in, but then it would just ask again, even though I am sure I entered the right number... After around 5-10 attempts it would just log me in but there is no cellular service. Perhaps it is because I used a micro sim card that I cut myself at home?

I was talking to google and they said they don't know what is going on and I can replace it, but right now I am living in Europe and I would need to ship it back to where I bought it originally (Canada) and then get someone to ship it back to me... So I'm not sure if its worth it especially given the recent price drop (I love nexus and would definitely get a new one). Would have preferred to fix it here though. Any tips?

Thanks in advance for your help

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
You could try to reflash radio software for your device. Google "Nexus 4 radio" and find the file with a step by step process. If latest radios don't help, I'm afraid it's hardware and you should get a replacement.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Would you be willing to say where you purchased the phone? Legitimate vendor, eBay seller, guy selling phones from the back of his truck?

There is another thread here from several days ago - guy bought the phone in Thailand if I recall correctly, returned to his native England, and soon after began having the same "No Service" problem even after swapping in a known-good sim card. Frankly, I am wondering if the phone was reported stolen and has been deactivated by Google as I only just learned they are able to do.

Marcin Sliwa

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Scott Kenyon: What do you mean by radio? I have no skills or experience doing any manual upgrades to phones... I tried to google it but the stuff was either irrelevant or too complex for me. Can you just give me one link that would help? I would really appreciate it.

N4Newbie: I got it directly from Google when I was in Canada. Everything worked well for around 2 months, then I got the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995