Nexus 4 won't turn on, solid green notification light

Michael Clarke1

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
i'm a new poster so sorry if this has been answered before but i couldn't find it anywhere. My Nexus 4 is 3 months old, and has been working fine since i got it. Today i was surfing the web on it, and i noticed the notification light was solid green. I don't have any apps installed to change the light colour so i thought that was pretty odd. i turned it off, and the green light stayed on. Now it won't turn back on, even with holding power or power and down for 60 seconds... Can anyone help?
Thanks
Mike

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey Michael, Welcome - I am not a cricket fan but your name is the same as a famous player.
Sorry to hear about your frustration, now there are some apps which make the phone appear to be off - it could be those. I know this sounds stupid, but try plugging it in the wall for awhile. After maybe 30 minutes when it has some charge, press your power button once to see if its responsive, other wise 'hold it down like a boss' for about 20 seconds than press it once to see if it turns on. If it stay's dead it would probably be best to give Google Play a call and would most be likely to issue you with a RMA.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Are you rooted? Running a custom rom?

I agree with the other poster: connect the charger for at least 10 minutes and then try pressing/holding the power button. If it still won't turn on, then most likely a hardware problem.

michel_666

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus also didn't want to turn on, but with red light. Charging using charger didn't help, but charging via USB did. Try that also.

Wysłane z mojego Nexus 4 przy użyciu Tapatalk 4

Ed Stockman

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to chime in on this; as my wife's Nexus 4 just had the same issue happen today.

In her case, the phone might have gotten some water exposure (was in a damp pocket for a bit). It seemed to be running fine today, but apparently when she went to charge it the phoned turn itself off.

Now the phone won't boot, and has a continuous green LED on. The LED will turn off if I hold power and volume down, as if going to the boot loader, but the phone doesn't boot and or have anything else happen. This phone is not rooted, no custom ROMS, or anything other than play store apps on it (and no apps that customize the LED notification, like LightFlow.

I was curious if the OP had his issue resolved. For the time being I'm leaving the wife's phone in a rice bag, in case of water damage.

Ed Stockman

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Blerg, I'm gonna check her warranty dates first to see if I can just have it replaced/repaired (wife hasn't even had it for 30 days). I suppose if I'm stuck I'll go through the hassle of opening it this weekend and see if that does it.

Ed Stockman

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, warranty was voided due to the water exposure ;-) So I opened it up and unhooked the battery for ~10-15 minutes today; then reassembled the thing.

Unfortunately, no effect, except now when I plug it in it will blink with the red LED. Oddly enough the green one stays on afterwords (though blinks off if I hold power for at least 10 seconds). Still, I believe the red LED blinking on like that means the battery is toast?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Disassemble again and submerge the parts in dry rice - or better yet silica gel - sealed in a Tupperware container and wait at least 48 hours.

Ed Stockman

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, just hit the 48 hr mark on the disassembled rice soak. Still no dice on the phone, just the red LED blink when it gets plugged in.

Looks like the wife will be picking up a new phone this week; hopefully with a LOT more care on this one. I'll likely just use the bricked one for parts in case mine has issues in the future.

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, just hit the 48 hr mark on the disassembled rice soak. Still no dice on the phone, just the red LED blink when it gets plugged in.

Looks like the wife will be picking up a new phone this week; hopefully with a LOT more care on this one. I'll likely just use the bricked one for parts in case mine has issues in the future.
The red LED is supposed to indicate a super-low battery. Plug it into the wall charger that it came with and wait at least an hour before trying to turn it on; that should get you going again.

arpit1102

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Did The rice bag work???
i am having a similar problem, i guess there was some moisture contact and then the phone just got switched off. when i plug it in it shows the charging sign. and when i remove it the green led is on. when i push down the power and volume down key nothing happens, just the green led gets turned off.

How was ur issue resolved?/

thedogesoft

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Did The rice bag work???
i am having a similar problem, i guess there was some moisture contact and then the phone just got switched off. when i plug it in it shows the charging sign. and when i remove it the green led is on. when i push down the power and volume down key nothing happens, just the green led gets turned off.

How was ur issue resolved?/
I held the power for like 5 mins and it worked. Have to do this a lot for some reason though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12