N4 battery dies overnight

Planins

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
So this is driving me crazy... my three month old Nexus 4 has died two nights in a row from a 80-50% battery to 14% and today 2%. It will not turn on again until I plug it in. It is not plugged in when it dies, I don't charge at night. I have disabled Currents, GPS and everything I can and I have read all the threads about the problem but I haven't found an answer. I am on stock everything, the phone is not rooted and I get around 3 and a half hours on-screen time, so the battery is OK too. This has never happened during the day, as I sometimes don't use it for a couple of hours but there is no drainage - this happens only during nightime.

P.S. I am starting work soon so it is very important for me that the phone is ON in the morning. I know I can always leave it plugged in but why would I have to when I have 80% - that's what I am used to doing, coming from an iPhone 4S. It was a phone I could trust to wake me up and last through the day :)

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So this is driving me crazy... my three month old Nexus 4 has died two nights in a row from a 80-50% battery to 14% and today 2%. It will not turn on again until I plug it in. It is not plugged in when it dies, I don't charge at night. I have disabled Currents, GPS and everything I can and I have read all the threads about the problem but I haven't found an answer. I am on stock everything, the phone is not rooted and I get around 3 and a half hours on-screen time, so the battery is OK too. This has never happened during the day, as I sometimes don't use it for a couple of hours but there is no drainage - this happens only during nightime.

P.S. I am starting work soon so it is very important for me that the phone is ON in the morning. I know I can always leave it plugged in but why would I have to when I have 80% - that's what I am used to doing, coming from an iPhone 4S. It was a phone I could trust to wake me up and last through the day :)

Why don't you just plug it in and leave it on? A normal usage pattern should be something like: plug in at night, use during the day, wash, rinse, repeat.

The only way you'll be able to get your phone to (near) zero idle is to disable all syncing. Which, at that point, you might as well just turn it off.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

I am assuming you tried a hard reset after the update.

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Your one of the few that does not want a full charge for the next day.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 running Android 4.3

Planins

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I am assuming you tried a hard reset after the update.

I have restored the whole phone to its original state but it didn't work.

And to everyone else, I am currently staying home a lot and I charge my phone to 100% during the day so to have a normal pattern of charging I don't plug it back in in the evening when I have 80%, but instead use it until it has around 10% and then I plug it in. Also, I think that is irrelevant and does not concern you, any phone should't just die when left for 7-8 hours :)

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Where you keep the phone at night, does it have a weak or no signal? Is it just outside of wifi range? The only think I can think of is something keeps going in and out of range.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

And to everyone else, I am currently staying home a lot and I charge my phone to 100% during the day so to have a normal pattern of charging I don't plug it back in in the evening when I have 80%, but instead use it until it has around 10% and then I plug it in. Also, I think that is irrelevant and does not concern you, any phone should't just die when left for 7-8 hours :)

So I don't understand, why don't you plug it in at night like everyone else does, so it will have a full charge in the morning, unless of course, you stay up all night.?

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
the answer never changes... figure out what's keeping your phone awake, and deal with that specific problem.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

jaredsutter

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

You are correct, everyone's advice to plug it in at night is irrelevant. It should not be losing that much battery overnight on standby. This weekend my N4 lasted 37 hours on a charge with 4 hours screen time. Since the 4.3 update, standby battery usage has been very small, maybe 5-10% overnight.

My N4 is on stock 4.3 with only Currents disabled. I would recommend installing an app like Better Battery Stats or GSam Battery Monitor to get a better idea of what is draining your battery, because it should not be draining that quickly when idling. Something is keeping it awake unnecessarily.

You could also download CPU Spy, which will tell you how much time the processor is spending in each state. It should be spending the majority of its time in Deep Sleep.