Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Default Re: Solved - Nexus 4 Won't Turn On or Charge

I have tried everything you said to do for my Nexus 4 and it still won't turn on, please somebody help me!!! I let the phone charge for 24 hours, tried different chargers,tried different outlets but to no avail my phone still won't turn on just black screen. The phone battery drained all the way yesterday and when I got home to charge it it wouldn't charge anymore or turn on. Went to T-Mobile and told them about it they said they will ship a new phone on Friday but I will lose all my pictures and videos if I didn't back them up and of course I didn't back up so I'm really upset about that. Does anybody else have any advice I can use thank you.

thank you so muchhh (:

how can I remove the case?

Quote Originally Posted by justmady View Post
    I have tried everything you said to do for my Nexus 4 and it still won't turn on, please somebody help me!!! I let the phone charge for 24 hours, tried different chargers,tried different outlets but to no avail my phone still won't turn on just black screen. The phone battery drained all the way yesterday and when I got home to charge it it wouldn't charge anymore or turn on. Went to T-Mobile and told them about it they said they will ship a new phone on Friday but I will lose all my pictures and videos if I didn't back them up and of course I didn't back up so I'm really upset about that. Does anybody else have any advice I can use thank you.
    I was convinced it wouldn't work for me either. Had run the battery out completely, got the blinking red light, then nothing at all. We had plugged it into the car USB port. After reading in forums, we made sure to get a proper charger with 5v/1.2 a and left plugged in over night. Kept taking charger out, holding down volume down and power keys for a LONG time (1 min. Sometimes) in various orders and combinations. Nothing. Kept trying. About 24 hours of charging uninterrupted we tried various combos again...FINALLY got the solid red light. Let it charge another half hour and then tried unplugging and replugging and holding down the volume down and power. FINALLY got the bootlog or whayever menu and selected POWER OFF with volume keys and hit the power button. FINALLY the white charging icon. Left it to charge for an hour. Now, I'm charging and typing this. I thought for sure the phone was bricked, but I just keep charging uninterrupted for 24 hours and hitting buttons and disconnecting the power cord and finally the glitch lifted and my phone is back. Make sure you have a proper 5v/1.2a charger plugged directly into the wall and don't give up. I had solid red, flashing red, and no led. But here I am typing on my nexus 4 right now. Good luck!!!
    Scott7217 likes this.

Scott7217,Did everything as you wrote. Green robot appeared on the screen, I pressed start, but once the phone is turned off and turned red The LEDs. Battery icon appears for a few seconds and the phone reboots, and so always

Thumbs up Re: Solved - Nexus 4 Won't Turn On or Charge

My phone died then when I tried to charge it, it wouldn't turn on I was like oh no then I took of the case off and pushed the power button and the lowering button on the volume for 16 sec then i plugged in the charger and waited until I seen something pop out on my phone. and a LED red light appeared and didn't blink it just stayed red then my phone turn back on and then showed me the picture of the battery charging.

Thank you VERY MUCH for this useful info!!! You saved my life!!! I almost gave up!

Thanks for this you are life saver. I was stumped before i saw this post. I replaced a broken screen but the phone wouldn't power back up after. I realized the battery must have been flat but after an hour or so of charging and it still wouldn't turn on I was wondering what was wrong.The red led flashed and the battery charge was showing, gave me confidence I had put the phone back together correctly. So I Googled, saw this post and bingo!

The same thing happened to me on my 3 days old nexus 5 . Worked great as well.
    Do you know why it happened?

I have had the red light solid and flashing/random switch offs/randomly not powering back on while being on stock 4.3, paranoid android lots of versions inc rc2 and stock 4.4. Its making me crazy. I can confirm solid red is not bricked neither flashing.
    I have found plugging in to mains power and leaving it has mixed effects. Sometimes powers on and often not with combinations of red lights.

CALL ME CRAZY but I have very good results in banging the back of the phone just above the lg logo with my palm. Sometimes it's hurts that's how hard but often the red light dissapears and charge icon comes on.

When the phone actually turns off abruptly I am mostly opening an app like messaging or anything really can even be during boot up. Phone will say gully charged then 60ish percent then all over the place. I have changed the battery. Worked for a week then same again. Have changed to various ROMs with no effect.
    Dont trust car chargers.
    I would say there are lots of temporary fixes but there is a major fault with these lg phones. Does anyone else have same problems

Thumbs up Re: Solved - Nexus 4 Won't Turn On or Charge

Thank you so much for this simple procedure! I bought my Nexus 4 two months ago and what anxious that it was already broken. It was working yesterday evening and this morning it was completely dead and didn't want to turn on!

Talking Re: Solved - Nexus 4 Won't Turn On or Charge

THANKS THANKS THANKS,
    life savior, searched the whole internet, no fix, finally tried this and im back, thanks again

Thanks for sharing, this worked for me too. Got the red LED flashing, I disconnected the charger and connected it again and it started charging normally.

Thanks so much.. this worked for my N4

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    My Nexus 4 wouldn't turn on or charge today, but I was able to figure out the problem after doing a few quick Google searches. I'm posting this information in case someone else has a similar problem.

Apparently my Nexus 4 was running low on power, so it went into a deep hibernation mode. I thought I could simply charge it, but instead of seeing a charging icon, my screen was completely blank and unresponsive. Pressing the power button didn't do anything, and I was worried that I bricked my phone somehow. I then performed the following actions:

1. Remove the case off the Nexus 4.
    2. Hold down the power and volume down buttons.
    3. Insert the USB charging cable into the Nexus 4 while continuing to hold down the power and volume down buttons.

After a few seconds, the screen displayed a green android and a menu of options. Using the volume up and down buttons, I selected the option to Start, then I pressed the power button to confirm my selection. My Nexus 4 then displayed my home screen. I was then able to charge it normally.

By the way, I originally tried this procedure with the case on my Nexus 4, but somehow the case was preventing the buttons from waking up my phone. Removing the case made it easier to press and hold down the buttons to wake up my Nexus 4.

Thanks a lot. It fixed my problem as well.

thank u very much , its working ...Greatz

My won't charging is completely over and by the time I reach home, my Nexus died. I tried charging it for the whole night and thought my OS got corrupted and cursed my self for the stupid thing. Today I thought of taking it to LG service center and gave a last try searching it on Google and found your solution. I worked like a charm. Thank you,Thank you,Thank you sooooo much Scott.

Regards,

Swetha,

All Reviews

Wow, Thank you!!! It worked. I had been worrying all day. So glad you shared

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    My Nexus 4 wouldn't turn on or charge today, but I was able to figure out the problem after doing a few quick Google searches. I'm posting this information in case someone else has a similar problem.

Apparently my Nexus 4 was running low on power, so it went into a deep hibernation mode. I thought I could simply charge it, but instead of seeing a charging icon, my screen was completely blank and unresponsive. Pressing the power button didn't do anything, and I was worried that I bricked my phone somehow. I then performed the following actions:

1. Remove the case off the Nexus 4.
    2. Hold down the power and volume down buttons.
    3. Insert the USB charging cable into the Nexus 4 while continuing to hold down the power and volume down buttons.

After a few seconds, the screen displayed a green android and a menu of options. Using the volume up and down buttons, I selected the option to Start, then I pressed the power button to confirm my selection. My Nexus 4 then displayed my home screen. I was then able to charge it normally.

By the way, I originally tried this procedure with the case on my Nexus 4, but somehow the case was preventing the buttons from waking up my phone. Removing the case made it easier to press and hold down the buttons to wake up my Nexus 4.
    Thank you for posting this, I think you saved my Nexus 4. I'll write about my experience because my visual cues were a bit different and it might help some others.

I used my phone right up until it shut off (never again!). As usual, I plugged it into a laptop USB port to charge. 2-3 hours later I picked up the phone and tried to turn it on only to see a large white battery icon (2/3 of the screen) on a black background. I unplugged it and plugged it back in again, and got a lightning bolt to show in the middle of the battery icon, but then it went back to a white battery icon with no lightning bolt, which seems to indicate that it was not charging. I got out the wall plug and had exactly the same experience so I came online and found this post (thank you again!)

However, when I held down the volume down and power buttons, I got only a blinking red LED. There was no android start menu, and when I let go it returned to the large white battery with a lightning bolt, and then without the lightning bolt as before. I believe the red blinking LED indicated the battery was charging, so then I repeated the process (unplugging, hold down the volume down and power and plugging it back in, got the red LED) but this time held down the volume down and power buttons while I read all four pages in this post (about 9-10 minutes). My finger then slipped and the dreaded blank battery icon appeared. On my third attempt, I did briefly get an android start screen, but it blinked off almost immediately (before I could read anything) an went back to a blinking red light. I held it for another ~5 minutes and then did the steps a fourth time and got an android start screen with a green arrow pointing at the power button, which I pressed. The phone booted up and now seems to be behaving as normal when I plug it in (my locked screen shows, tiny charging battery icon in the top right corner, blue blinking LED at the bottom).

So, in addition to the excellent advice by Scott7217, I'll add the following:

1) If you don't get the android start screen upon performing the steps, but do get a blinking red LED, don't yet panic.
    2) If you get the blinking red LED again, try holding down the buttons as long as you can (presumably to get enough charge into the phone to allow other functions to work). This may mean 20 minutes holding down the buttons.
    3) Large white battery icons with no lightning bolt seem to mean the phone has no battery power AND is NOT charging. Further, if you get a large white battery icon WITH a charging lightning bolt in it, check it again in 30 seconds, because it continually reverted (for me) back to a large white battery icon with no lightning bolt.
    4) If you can get enough charge into the battery (It took several tries and maybe 15-20 mins of holding the buttons down for me with the red LED blinking), then the phone will eventually have enough power to get to the android booting screen, at which point you can push the Power button again and the phone will likely work as normal again.

Good luck, and thanks for all the advice everyone shared here!
    Scott7217 likes this.

Last year about this time, my sister's nexus 4 broke, she dropped it and shattered the screen and it won't take any input from the screen. It was left there until I decided to fix it with a digitizer I ordered from ebay. So after a year, i changed the digitizer and followed the instructions to the letter. Everything seemed alright, however, it won't power on. Whenever I plug in the power, it would show a red light and quick disappear.

Until I came to this thread, I held down vol down + power keys and then plugged in the power, I would be taken to the fastboot screen. However, if i let go then, it would show white Google logo and turn off. I kept hold it, sometimes it would show a blinking red light while I kept on holding those two buttons, while other times it would take me to fastboot screen, however this time it won't restart. I used the vol controls to go to 'start' option, but every time i do so, it would show the white google logo and turn off. If I selected recovering, it would do the same. I am running out of options, is it battery? Remember it was unused for like a year, and I charged all night even though it showed no led indicator.

I need help

Here is a video of the problem:

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #72  

Quote Originally Posted by Rock1m1 View Post
    I am running out of options, is it battery? Remember it was unused for like a year, and I charged all night even though it showed no led indicator.
    My guess is that your battery is having difficulty retaining a charge. If you have your Nexus 4 plugged in and you don't see an LED turn on or a flashing white battery icon in the middle of your screen, then nothing is really happening. So you could have it plugged in for an entire week, but the battery will remain at 0% charge.

I would try repeating the procedure multiple times in one sitting. Keep trying to get that white Google logo to show up on your screen. If the phone shuts off, try it again and again. I remember going through this procedure at least 5 times in a row, but my battery was only dead for about a day. Yours has been dead for a year, and that probably makes a difference.

It's also possible that your battery is defective. You may need to get a replacement battery from eBay. I don't know how hard it is to replace the battery, but at least you have some experience disassembling your Nexus 4 since you replaced the digitizer.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You saved me and my Xmas and holiday travels.

This worked for me too. Many thanks

Phone just discharged, went off, when tried to put it charging red light started blinking.
    Tried all the possible, immaginable button combos, tried charging it with wall charger and from a pc. left it on the powercord, and blinking, for 24h. nothing.
    Final fix for Nexus 4 red light of death - xda-developers
    as suggested here i opened the phone.
    I managed to control my battery power output and its 3,9v. So i placed it charging, with no results.
    Than i see that if i disconnect the battery, and i try to charge the phone (with no battery), for an instant the phone turns on. So i flip out battery put on charger, in a split second put battery on and phone is responsive. so the charging icon pops out and apparently it startes charging. Screen goes dark, no red blinking, powercord on, i leave it like that for 8h, and try to turn it on again. bang red light as nothing happend. currently im trying to give it more time like 24h charge, still i suspect that even though it shows charging icon it does not charge.

my other options are trying with a wireless charger, some say it workes.
    and oredering a new battery.
    The minute i fix this phone im selling it fast, never again LG.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast