[Solved] Nexus 4 won't turn on or charge

dejan

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
My Nexus is dead - does not charge.
- After holding power + vol down, I pluged the phone , the bootloader appeared, I "START" immediately, the phone showed a google logo for few seconds, shut off and started blinking again IF I HOLD power bott.
NO blinking pattern, just endless fast blinks and the bootloader menu does not appear again

ON the second try after the bootloader appeared, I did "START" immediately, and RELEASED the power ****. the phone showed a google logo for few seconds, shut off and started blinking again.

I left the phone to charge in boot menu screen for 12 hours overnight, and then the START - but no luck, a google logo for few seconds, shut off

I tried this many many times...

UPDATE: I plugged in the phone using many chargers ...in wall into the computer...electrical...usb...etc..

A few minutes ago, I pressed power and the screen was on!! Well it was charging since there was a sign in the right corner that the battery is charging....I left it for a few minutes...and than I had an idea to speed up charging I wanted to turn off wireless since I had message that cannot login on the wireless network..I had also message that the date was wrong...As I was trying to turn off the wireless while the phone was plugged in, the screen went black with one blink of red light after that ....So it is not working again...:(

UPDATE 2:
- After holding power + vol down, I pluged the phone , the bootloader appeared, I "START" immediately, and the phone was on...After 15 min I managed to turn off the wireless but the battery was showing 0% and charging and the date was Jan 1, ....I left it on charger for a while, but when i tried to activate it... nothing....screen is black and i cannot get to the phone...

Last edited:

s95136

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
To cone56,

I had the same problem after opening the phone up to change the display and battery. Some googling bring me to this place, Big Thanks to the OP. I can get to the fastboot mode, up and down the option but pressing power button does not do anything. It turns out the contact springs on the power button PCB were flattened and not making contact with the main board edge connectors.
I open the phone, take out the power button PCB, rework/raise the contact springs and reassemble it back. Power it up and it is as good as new.

kmoshea

May 6, 2016
Visit site
You arer a god send!!!! Thanks so much. I was running behind for a big sales meeting and my google pixel c was doing the same thing. I would have never figured that one it in time!!! I appreciate you posting this information!!!

Stav48

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Just posting to say thanks, may have had something to do with the screen being very hot last night? I got rid of a flashlight app a few months ago because of the same thing, screen hot. Once again thanks.

MaheshG

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Re: Solved - Nexus 4 Won't Turn On or Charge

Thank you so much for this tip of holding the buttons down for 15 seconds and THEN inserting the charger in to the phone. I tried it the other way (charger first) and got no results. This made my day!

Morgenstern72

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much :)
I tried everything and then had my Nexus 4 for 6 months in a drawer, forgetting always to give it to recycling. Now it get's a new life as a gift for a poor family :)

bwestfall1983

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I know this is a 2 year old post, but I did some research and found that if this is a problem for you then simply hold power button for a minute to one and a half. It worked for me.

Helder Silva10

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
I did everything in here, even taking out the battery, nevertheless nothing worked. I hold on the on and volume down buttons and insert the charger on the nexus 4 at the same time, however it appeared the start boot, pressed on again but the phone dies once the google image appears.

Anyone knows what this could be? Probably it is the battery that it is not working? The thing is that when I insert the charger the red light (after taking the battery out only) blinks once but the phone never seem to charge.

Help please!

smoggy70

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem, and it was frustrating as I couldn't use my Square device to take credit cards at a Craft Fair. I was so upset but my husband found this post and we tried the fix; holding down the volume and on buttons together and then plugging in the charger to the wall. The light had been flashing a white light, now was flashing a red light. After 45 seconds I held the on button on for 10 seconds the the home screen came on, I then disconnected the charger, checked the power, and then put cell phone back on the charger to charge to 100% power. Now the phone seems fine. Glad it's back. When I first was at the Craft Fair I opened my device which had 57% power, and pulled up the Square Register and all seemed fine. But when I looked at my phone again it was black and there was not one thing I could do, it wouldn't even charge. So glad for this post

MordFustang

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I did everything in here, even taking out the battery, nevertheless nothing worked. I hold on the on and volume down buttons and insert the charger on the nexus 4 at the same time, however it appeared the start boot, pressed on again but the phone dies once the google image appears.

Anyone knows what this could be? Probably it is the battery that it is not working? The thing is that when I insert the charger the red light (after taking the battery out only) blinks once but the phone never seem to charge.

Help please!

I'm having the same issue. It's happened to me before on this phone, but after a few tries of trying a few things like holding buttons etc etc, it eventually kicked back up.

Edit: I got it working again, I don't know what happened, but after letting it charge for a bit and then trying some more it eventually worked. Weird.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty