Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Straight Talk now has LTE

Just out of the blue I was playing with speedtest this morning and I have never got 7 Mbps download on my phone (3 Mbps tops with 4.3, 1 Mbps tops before that). Now this doesn't make sense since I have 4.3 with the latest radio, which does not have LTE support, so I don't know if this is just a coincidence or some side effect of the announcement today (Maybe this is improving the other speeds as well?):

LTE Now Available With Straight Talk AT&T SIMs | Prepaid Phone News
    Last edited by pjc123; 09-13-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Default Re: Straight Talk now has LTE

Install the free app, Network Signal Info https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...android.telnet

Run it and see what it says about your cellular connection details.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Install the free app, Network Signal Info https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...android.telnet

Run it and see what it says about your cellular connection details.
    Actually it is already installed. I wasn't sure it would report LTE without LTE being enabled on the phone. In any event, the phone shows what it has always showed, toggling between HSPA and HPSA+. Speedtest also confirms the same type of signal, so I guess it was a once in a million good speed result.
    Last edited by pjc123; 09-13-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Global Posts
    1,114 Global Posts
    ROM
    Purity with Hells-Core

The Nexus 4 doesn't support the LTE (even with mods) that AT&T uses in most markets anyway... you would have to get very lucky and have LTE enabled radios flashed in, the stock ones have LTE disabled. The Nexus 4 supports only Band 4/1700Mhz (that T-Mobile uses), AT&T uses mostly Band 17 in the 700Mhz spectrum but in a few markets they have Band 4/1700Mhz with limited coverage, including Phoenix, Raleigh, San Juan, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Chicago, and Charlotte.
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 w/LTE on Cricket/Aio (Purity ROM with hells-Core Kernel)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (AICP 6.0 ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

I think Straight Talk is now being allowed to take full advantage of HSPA+ speeds where as before they were only allowed to utilize HSPA speeds.

My colleague uses ST and commented to me just the other day that speed tests were much improved from a week earlier bragging that they were as fast as my at&t line now.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by dan1431 View Post
    I think Straight Talk is now being allowed to take full advantage of HSPA+ speeds where as before they were only allowed to utilize HSPA speeds.

My colleague uses ST and commented to me just the other day that speed tests were much improved from a week earlier bragging that they were as fast as my at&t line now.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App
    I am also suspecting that speeds have improved because of something along these lines.