Solution for incorrect T-Mobile US Prepaid "upsell tethering" error?

bruindroid

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a problem with T-Mobile incorrectly flagging my phone for "against the rules" tethering. I'm pretty sure I know exactly why it is happening: I'm running Chrome configured with a desktop-like User Agent and whatever connection snooping Tmo does is accidentally flagging all that traffic as tether. Please take it as a given that my usage patterns require my current methods (chrome + desktop UA, etc). I'm wondering if there are any other clever ways to fix this problem (meaning prevent Tmo from giving me redirects to their Upsell Tether page for just about everything except Google.com)?

Here's a screenshot of what's happening when I try to load a page by clicking on a Google Search result:
2013-09-13 19.20.33.png

I'm on the new(ish) T-Mobile prepaid monthly plan for unlimited 4G data and 100 min @ $30/mo (yes, I'm aware they throttle after 5gigs and that's fine by me). My Nexus 4 is running stable cm10.1.2 right now.

I've escalated this issue within Tmo to the point where what I believe is a Tier 3 support manager claims he's going to conference call me with a local engineer. The support guy asked for my home zip and address so he could make sure he got a local guy, however, I'm quite sure that's crap since I've traveled and seen the same issue in many places. This clearly has nothing to do with specific Tmo towers and has everything to do with Tmo's network snooping.

Creative ideas are very welcome here!!

Thanks-

P.s. for all the googlebots out there, the exact url and text are:
T-Mobile Smartphone Mobile HotSpot

T-Mobile
Smartphone Mobile HotSpot

Turn your smartphone into a mobile hotspot!

Share your smartphone's high-speed internet connection with your laptop, ipad, ipod, or any other wi-fi enabled device.

You have reached this page because you do not have Smartphone Mobile HotSpot service or have exceeded your included service allotment.

Click here to learn how to add the Smartphone Mobile HotSpot service to your account.

To learn more abut smartphone mobile hotspot service visit to FAQ.

If you feel you reached this page in error, or have questions about Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (Tethering) service, please call T-Mobile Customer Care, 1-800-937-8997.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
A colleague had a similar issue with his Nexus 4/Chrome and T-Mobile incorrectly identifying his setup as tethering.

Sadly, even after speaking with Corporate in Washington State and them (T-Mobile Corporate) conferring with their Engineers, no solution was able to be reached.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I think you would have to connect through a vpn or another encrypted connection to prevent them spotting your user agent.

costsegregation

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
my solution was to use another browser in my android device, my was firefox that got block in both android and windows.
now i switched to chrome or opera which become unblocked in my android device. but on my windows, it is still shown as blocked in firefox, so i install user-agent switcher for chrome and use it as android browser and it works fine.

btw, i'm only using 3.5 gig of my 5 gig paid $30/mo walmart plan to get be flagged for upsell error, i have called t-mobile, and they were able to extend 2 days of my down time and $10 credit into my account for the error, but which to me is pointless in their effect, because the upsell overwrite requires $15/mo plan in their services, in which is $5 sort of solving this problem. i'm bringing this error to FCC see what they're willing to do about it.

Last edited: