Gmail privacy protection on Android/Nexus 4

nexusphile73

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Please help with the following queries:
1.Can I sign in to my google account on the nexus4 without being logged in on gmail / gtalk on the phone?!
2. If I have to necessarily remain signed on to gmail (which I believe is a limitation with Android), is there a password protection that I can employ on my screen so that my gmail is not accessible to everybody who manages to lifts my phone!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Please help with the following queries:
1.Can I sign in to my google account on the nexus4 without being logged in on gmail / gtalk on the phone?!
2. If I have to necessarily remain signed on to gmail (which I believe is a limitation with Android), is there a password protection that I can employ on my screen so that my gmail is not accessible to everybody who manages to lifts my phone!
How likely is it that your phone will be stolen? Just a question, as you might be in a position where that's a common occurrence. Ya kinda need an account that's active to, you know, actually do stuff. You could always log out of the apps, but that won't do much for you.
  1. Like the other guys said, go to Settings -> Security (see pic below)
    • Where it says "Screen Lock" you'll get a whole bunch of options (from "None" to "Password"). Choose one you feel comfortable with.
    • Choose "Automatically Lock" and choose a time to lock the phone, from "Immediately" to "30 Minutes".
    • Choose whether or not the power button instantly locks the device.
    • If you're extra paranoid, you can also "Encrypt Phone".
  2. Make sure "Android Device Manager" is set up as Device Administrator (farther below on the same security screen).

Screenshot_2013-09-24-17-45-16.png