Battery life

paul2206

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Can anybody shed light on battery life, I have 2 n4s 1 is a work and the other personal. My work phone as you can imagine is heavily used on calls email etc and is current at 50% battery life. My other n4 been off charge same amount of time and hardly used is current at 20% left. Both set up the same. Can anyone shed any light on why the difference. Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! This guide might be of some help: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...19-guide-battery-saving-tips.html#post3086121

Are both phones in the same location at all times? If not, perhaps there is a difference in cell signal. Where the signal is worse, more battery might be used since the radio is straining to find a signal.

It's also possible that since you're constantly using your work phone, there are a different set of apps active in system RAM, compared with your personal phone. Maybe the apps you use commonly on the work phone tend to use less CPU, and there might be an app resident in your personal phone's RAM that is being overactive or malfunctioning.

paul2206

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Both phones are together all day in the same place etc, really bugging me as love the phone. How can I find out if there is something running in the ram

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Settings/Apps/Running, but this is a pretty basic list. You can install an app like GSam Battery Monitor to give you a better breakdown.

Has it always been like this? There's always the possibility that one of the phones is defective.

paul2206

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
No not always been like this. But have also been advised to calibrate the battery will see how we go.

Posted via Android Central App

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Are they on the same cellular network? Do they both have equal signal strength? Does one live in your pocket, desk drawer, etc. while the other sits on your desktop?

As noted above, if one of them has to struggle to maintain an adequate cell signal, it will chew through more battery than the other.

Other differences to check are status of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

SeanJamesWright

May 8, 2013
Visit site
For some reason my battery has been draining a lot lately and I did the 4.3 update just days after it rolled out and was fine then.

Sent from my Nexus 4 via Android Central App

paul2206

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

An update, Have checked Wakelock, nothing unusual going on.

Phone has been unplugged from charged since 0630 this morning (now 12.45) and has used 25% of battery, quite light use, cople of calls and messages, my other N4 (work one) has only used 18% but has been used more.

Am i being to picky ie my personal N4 using 7% more etc is 25% a reasonable drain.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if you can swap N4's for a day--see what happens if you use your personal one for work and vice-versa. Can you just swap the SIMs?

paul2206

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Would love to, lol but not so simple as work one runs microsoft exchange etc for work email, dont get me wrong can set it up but its a lot of agg as need to get our IT guys involved.
Whats all the chat about battery calibration would that have anything to do with it ?

jaredsutter

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Battery calibration is unnecessary. I use GSam Battery Monitor to keep all my apps in check, see which is using the most battery. Facebook and Currents can be common culprits for background processes that kill your phone. Also, you might want to install CPU Spy to make sure the processor is going into deep sleep. Sometimes an app will try to keep the phone awake all the time, which will kill the battery. Install, then let the phone sit screen off unplugged for a minute, then refresh the app. Make sure that Deep Sleep shows up in the list of processor states.

The other thing I would recommend is just a restart if you haven't tried it. If nothing seems to be out of the ordinary and you are still getting poorer battery life, I would call Google and try to get a replacement, there could be something wrong with your device.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Something is up with my N4 as well, just started late last week. My battery is running down and I'm mainly on wi-fi most of the day. I charge it overnight and can usually make it about 10-12 hours on my phone, but not now. It seems that Android OS, Google Services and Screen are biggest users. I'm not a heavy phone user, so I'm not sure what is going on with my phone. I've rebooted it twice to see if that would clear up the problem, but it has not. I'll have to look up what the key combo is for a hard reset (battery pull) and see if that changes anything.

paul2206

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I have been advised that if I fully discharge and then fully charge the battery a few times that this will increase the battery performance, is this true, or can anyone shed any light oin the matter.

paul2206

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Have read through it, it is now in learning mode, most of the reviews seem promising. Will post back the outcome. If it does what it says on the tin then the best phone has just got better.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I have been advised that if I fully discharge and then fully charge the battery a few times that this will increase the battery performance, is this true, or can anyone shed any light oin the matter.

You have been advised incorrectly. Draining this type of battery is BAD for it!