Can't make or receive calls after 4.3 update.

Alsatianx2

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Hope someone can help me.

I updated to 4.3 and everything was fine and then the 1st minor tweak update came and I couldn't stay connected to wifi and mobile data was always disconnecting when the screen shut off. I reformatted the phone and it righted itself. Now I can hear the phone ring but can't hear anyone on the other end and also when I make calls I can't hear a ringing or anyone answering. So I searched the web and did some research, it seems a lot of people had this issue after the 4.2.2 update and somebody suggested starting the phone in safe mode so I did. I can now hear calls and make them in safe mode which leads me to believe it could be an app. I haven't downloaded any new apps in months so I have no idea which one could suddenly be doing this.

Is there any way to know which app is misbehaving and would it definitely be an app causing the problem or could it be because of the update seems it only happened after the minor tweak update after 4.3

The phone is stock, not rooted. My launcher is SPB Shell 3D

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Hope someone can help me.

I updated to 4.3 and everything was fine and then the 1st minor tweak update came and I couldn't stay connected to wifi and mobile data was always disconnecting when the screen shut off. I reformatted the phone and it righted itself. Now I can hear the phone ring but can't hear anyone on the other end and also when I make calls I can't hear a ringing or anyone answering. So I searched the web and did some research, it seems a lot of people had this issue after the 4.2.2 update and somebody suggested starting the phone in safe mode so I did. I can now hear calls and make them in safe mode which leads me to believe it could be an app. I haven't downloaded any new apps in months so I have no idea which one could suddenly be doing this.

Is there any way to know which app is misbehaving and would it definitely be an app causing the problem or could it be because of the update seems it only happened after the minor tweak update after 4.3

The phone is stock, not rooted. My launcher is SPB Shell 3D

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Id try wiping the data for both the phone and phone storage applications
Settings > Apps > all > phone/phone storage

I had a similar issue after the update, but once I wiped them. Its seemed to help.

Alsatianx2

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion.

I literally have just rebooted the phone from safe mode to normal mode and tested the phone by making and receiving a call at home and it seems I have sound back. This is most peculiar, this phone really does seem to have a mind of it's own.

I will try again in the morning where it can be tested properly with a proper phone call to someone outside of my house. It's currently 1am so off to zzzz land. Thanks again, I will make a note of your suggestion so if it decides to have a hissy fit again I will try it out.

I do love the fact that the Nexus 4 is 1st for updates but it seems it can be a double edged sword at times. Updates can sometimes cause more problems than you had before.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
while reading on other forums about people trying to add LTE capabilities it appears that a version or two of certain radios had problems with voice audio.
the problem you describe sounds like what they were talking about.
i think the latest radio is .84 Id double check that and if necessary hop on over to xda or do a google search for different radios for the nexus 4.