Nexus 4 vs ChinaPhone and where do I buy an off-contract nexus 4 in the US

doctorwho55

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

My iphone 4 is dying so I am looking for a replacement phone. I own a nexus 7, which I love. Thus I would like my next phone to be an Android Device.

I have seen some mixed reviews about dozens of cheaper Chinese Smartphones with 5" screens at 1080p for about 200$. On the other hand, the community for those devices is small and limited updates are available (let alone the fact that quality control is low).

So, given the recent price drop, the nexus 4 also seems a viable candidate. Which will offer me more long term support than unbranded chinese phones

Yet, if I buy a nexus 4, where I live, the cost is about 500$ (!) .

I have to go to the US this month , (California and Phoenix) , so I was wondering if I could get an unlocked nexus 4 somewhere at an affordable price?

Thank you in advance,

Last edited by a moderator:

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Most of the Chinese devices do not support HSPA+ on AT&T's network or AWS on TMobiles network, for the Chinese ones you need to make sure they support 3G in 850/1900 MHz (few do) so in general the best you will get is 2G speeds. I don't recommend these unless you really know what you are doing and what you are getting.

As far as a Nexus 4, I think I would wait now that everything is sold out on Google Play, people are selling the 8GB version for $350-$450 and the 16GB version for $400-$500 on eBay and Amazon. Honestly, if you need a phone ASAP, I would buy a used AT&T or T-Mobile locked GSM phone on swappa or something, for example the HTC Aria can be had for around $50, or if you can wait a month a so, just grab the Nexus 5 when it drops.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
For a chinese phone with a name try looking at Xiaomi, I hear they are doing great things! (Their board consists of old top staff from apple, microsft and google)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane