Losing signal when mobile data is on

Rick Lim

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had the Nexus 4 for about a month now and i haven't had a problem until this yesterday. When i turn on my mobile data, i lose my signal. It just stops working. My phone then just becomes useless. The Wi-Fi still works fine and is the only way i can connect to the internet on my phone. Anyone know what to do to fix this? I'm on Andriod 4.3. Tried reboots and airplane mode. Nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated

bayoe04

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 4 Signal HELP

u can edit build.prop
find " telephony.ltecdmadevice=1 " change = 0
find santences about "cdma" and remove it

Sent from my XT907 using AC Forums mobile app

Rick Lim

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

u can edit build.prop
find " telephony.ltecdmadevice=1 " change = 0
find santences about "cdma" and remove it

Sent from my XT907 using AC Forums mobile app

My phone isnt rooted, and from what i saw using build prop editor, that CDMA thing was already on 0 :(

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Go to Settings -> More... -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names. What is listed there? Tap on the T-Mobile entry; what are the current settings?

Mobile data will not work without a valid APN configuration.

Rick Lim

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

Go to Settings -> More... -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names. What is listed there? Tap on the T-Mobile entry; what are the current settings?

Mobile data will not work without a valid APN configuration.
The Tmobile bubble is highlighted and the settings are:
Name: T-mobile US
APN: epc.tmobile.com
Proxy: not set
Port: not set
Usename: Not set
Password: not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS Proxy: Not set
MMS port: Not set
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Authetication type: not set
APN type: Default, suppl, mms
APN Protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enabled
Bearer: unspecified
MVNO type: none
MVNO value: not set

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

The Tmobile bubble is highlighted and the settings are:
APN type: Default, suppl, mms

The only thing which catches my eye (and it is probably just a typo here) is that there should not be any spaces in the line above. "default,suppl,mms" - no spaces, no caps, and of course, no quotes.

If you do make any changes, be sure to save the APN (menu -> Save) and then reboot the phone.

Rick Lim

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

The only thing which catches my eye (and it is probably just a typo here) is that there should not be any spaces in the line above. "default,suppl,mms" - no spaces, no caps, and of course, no quotes.

If you do make any changes, be sure to save the APN (menu -> Save) and then reboot the phone.
I reset everything to default and it still doesnt work :'(

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

The "Default" APN settings are not necessarily the correct settings. Your settings as you listed them above were correct for T-Mobile with the exception of the improper spaces as I already mentioned.

Having said that, I don't think the problem is with your phone but with T-Mobile. Where are you located? Are you sure you actually have a data plan with your T-Mobile account? What is your data limit? Is it possible you have gone over the limit for the current billing period?

Rick Lim

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

The "Default" APN settings are not necessarily the correct settings. Your settings as you listed them above were correct for T-Mobile with the exception of the improper spaces as I already mentioned.

Having said that, I don't think the problem is with your phone but with T-Mobile. Where are you located? Are you sure you actually have a data plan with your T-Mobile account? What is your data limit? Is it possible you have gone over the limit for the current billing period?
yaahh, i just had a typo. Without spaces is whats actually on the phone.
Im in NYC and yeah i have a data plan with T-Mobile. Its that unlimited data for like 200 mb till it crawls.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

Go to Settings>About phone and see if you have anything under Baseband version. Next tap Status and see if you have an IMEI number listed and if it shows your phone number under My phone number.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

PS: Don't post your IMEI number; just tell us if it is there. Should be 15 digits, I believe.

You can also view the IMEI number by opening the phone app and dialing *#06#.

Rick Lim

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

So when my brother called T-Mobile and he asked why my phone couldnt go on the internet, they said they "cut" my internet off because i was using "too much". Which makes no sense since i have unlimited data. I think they were just too lazy to check the problem and just made up an excuse. They then convenanitely asked me to increase the amunt of high speed data I have but we declined. I think the problem is the phone itself. I'm on Android 4.3 and i think maybe i should downgrade to 4.2.2. Anyway i can do that without losing all the stuff on my phone? or should i just wait until Android 4.4?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

What they probably meant was that you used your allotment of full-speed data (did you say 200mb?) and you are now limited to Edge speeds for the remainder of your billing period. Edge speed is, for all intents and purposes, as close to zero as you can get without actually hitting zero. In other words, slow. Caterpillar slow. Snail slow. So slow, a single simple webpage may take many minutes to download.

Rick Lim

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

What they probably meant was that you used your allotment of full-speed data (did you say 200mb?) and you are now limited to Edge speeds for the remainder of your billing period. Edge speed is, for all intents and purposes, as close to zero as you can get without actually hitting zero. In other words, slow. Caterpillar slow. Snail slow. So slow, a single simple webpage may take many minutes to download.
Yeah I know that, they said they "cut" off my internet. I've been using the plan for a while now, the internet speed doesnt bother me that much. Now i cant go on at all. They take a few seconds but i juustu gotta wait. Yeah 200 MB, got an answer for the should i wait for 4.3 or downgrade.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance