?Google Play services, which some of your applications rely on, is not supported by your device.?

fam617

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
My family member has a Nexus 4 (not rooted) and is seeing weird errors. Cannot access Google Play store, the date and time is messed up. Does anyone know 1) why this happens? 2) what this is and how to fix!?!
IMG_20130930_215240.JPG
IMG_20130930_215310.JPG
IMG_20130930_215330.JPG

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What build of Android is the N4 running???

There were significant updates to Play when the Y build was released...

Make sure it is up-to-date or flash the Factory Image.

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Probably due to the date being 1970...

1. Go to Settings -> Storage
    • Clear the Cache (select the item and hit OK to clear it), then:
  2. Go to Settings -> Date & Time
    • Check the first 2 options -- if they're selected already, uncheck and re-select them; see if the time fixes itself.
    • If it works, reboot the device and see if the time sticks. If not:
  3. Power off the device, pull out the SIM and re-insert it, then power on the device.
    • Repeat Step 2.
    • If that doesn't work:
  4. Try a different SIM (preferably on a different carrier).
  5. Lastly, try to manually set the date to within a few minutes of the actual time, then see if it survives a reboot.

If all of that fails, I would suggest booting into recovery (while device is off, hold Power + Volume Down until you the the 'laying down android' screen) and doing a factory reset (back up your data first).

Finally, I have heard of this happening every now and then and I know at least some devices have a small battery backup for the clock (much like a computer) that could have died -- although even if that were true, the device's time should have updated itself once it had booted up and gotten data access (carrier or WiFi).

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Also, go to Settings -> Apps -> All (tab at top of screen) -> Google Play Services and make certain someone hasn't disabled it.

fam617

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
go here and push install it to your device https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.google.android.gms&token=WmJPZDiz

make sure u have internet. your wifi and the signal bar is white which is weird.

UPDATE: This was exactly it! He needed to update this. Weird that when he searched for it in the Play Store is wasn't found. Same with me...I do see it in my Apps list though. Is this something that updates on its own? His phone is always dying so I am thinking it died during update sometime in the past.

Thanks again for all the responses. Always find answers in this forum...love it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: This was exactly it! He needed to update this. Weird that when he searched for it in the Play Store is wasn't found. Same with me...I do see it in my Apps list though. Is this something that updates on its own? His phone is always dying so I am thinking it died during update sometime in the past.

Thanks again for all the responses. Always find answers in this forum...love it.

glad the issue is fixed. yes, "play store service" is a service which you wont find by searching in the playstore. its hidden and you need the link.
and it auto update and as u mentioned the update might have failed

Roger Munday

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I agree it is due to the date issue. Google will not play nicely if the date and time are incorrect.

Solved the issue for me. Checked date/time and found both were way out, the phone (Samsung S2) had suddenly lost both since installing Google+. Reset date and time and suddenly everything is working again. Thanks to all who flagged this up.

abhishek dubey

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,
Even I faced the same issue, but in my case the date and time hasn't messed up, but the google play services are unavailable :( . Moreover to add to it my volume button doesn't work at home screen. Any help in these two regards will be highly solicited.

Bryan Joshua

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I update my Google Play Service but i received "package file was not signed correctly" ?? My Phone is SGY with custom rom Nemesis 2.5 Hybrid Holo Edition

shebajd1

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I have an Emerson EM543 4.3" tablet running 4.1.n (can't remember). It doesn't come with Google Play. I installed 1Mobile Market appstore, then found and downloaded Google Play Services. I then downloaded Google Hangouts & Google Drive. When I go to open both of these apps, I get this same message. Is that because I don't have Google Play on this device? Is there a way to get it installed to make these apps work? Hangouts was one reason I bought this tablet. It's small & cheap, but it was what I was looking for. Thanks.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have an Emerson EM543 4.3" tablet running 4.1.n (can't remember). It doesn't come with Google Play. I installed 1Mobile Market appstore, then found and downloaded Google Play Services. I then downloaded Google Hangouts & Google Drive. When I go to open both of these apps, I get this same message. Is that because I don't have Google Play on this device? Is there a way to get it installed to make these apps work? Hangouts was one reason I bought this tablet. It's small & cheap, but it was what I was looking for. Thanks.

you have to install gapps rather than just the service.. google it to find the gapps for your device

James West2

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site

I clicked the link and installed but it gave "Unable to install - incompatible with other appss on this device device. ?