Phone restarting after gmail app update

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I am running 4.3 in nexus 4. This morning I updated the Gmail app update available on google play store. Just after the update, I opened gmail and I was asked to auto sync my account for email updates. I clicked yes. And just after that, my phone rebooted. And since then the phone has been rebooting like crazy. It's been 2 hours already and it's still rebooting.

Can somebody please help me how to solve this issue..

Thanks in advance.

PRATIK_AGR

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I am facing the same problem since yesterdays update of gmail and auto sync option.
Plus i dont have a backup of my recent important contacts.
Running a samsung galaxy s3 4.1.2

laboom69

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
i am having the same issue, some people are reporting the same issue with different devices @google and @gmail over twitter... Waiting for @gmail to acknowledge :mad::mad::mad:

Amit Dunsky

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Try uninstalling the latest gmail update.

I've just updated gmail app in my HTC one with no problems. Thank god...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My contacts were backed up through Gmail... Anyway I didn't have a choice at all and neither am I sure right now about Google releasing some update.....

All the best

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk now Free

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
U wiped ur phone. I'll better wait bro. I cant afford to loose the non-backed up contacts.
There are no "Phone contacts" in the Nexus 4 (there is no option for that in mine at all, stock), all of your contacts are backed up to Google. If that is your only concern you can safely factory default.

On another note, I took the update to Gmail last night, I was not prompted to change or sync anything, and it has worked flawlessly... Probably opened Gmail 20+ times since then with no issues, phone hasn't been rebooted in weeks.

Bazsty

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Same happened here. I'm non-rooted and resetting the phone is not an option for me, I have some important things on there that I haven't yet got round to backing up. What do I do?

My phone is stuck in a constant loop whilst getting extremely hot on the back at the same time. ATM I have an unusable phone which is just not acceptable. I need it tomorrow but it looks like I'm going to be without a phone. Gonna call Google (with my work's phone) as soon as I can to see what they have to say.

I'm getting fed up with this phone now. It's been my first Android experience and it's not been a good one at all. :(
I wanted to give myself a reason to stay away from iPhones, but I think I've got no choice but to go back and get a 5S. I thought I preferred the features of Android and the large screen size, however, after sinking my teeth into Android, I think I prefer the quickness and reliability of iOS. I'm terrible at making decisions!

markg28

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem this afternoon. I was finally able to stop my phone to keep restarting over and over. Here's how to do it:

1: From the home screen, go the Settings by tapping the menu button.
2: Scroll down to reach Account & Sync.
3: At the top of that page, turn off the Auto Sync.

The above steps have to be done very quicky, before the phone restarts again. Your phone might restart one last time but will stay on after reboot. After the problem was resolved, I tried turning the Auto Sync back on. My phone turned off right away and the restarting issue started again. I hope this helps!!

axierjhtjz

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
It happened the same for me. I solved it this way:

1) When rebooted, try to disable the sync option as fast as you can, in my case I had a shorcut on the notification bar. Even thought you disabled it this will reboot your device too.
2) After this reboot, remove the batery and leave it about 1 or 2 min without it.
3) Put the battery again and start the device. This worked for me.

Note that you will enter the reboot loop again if you check the sync option in my case from the notification bar or the gmail app.

Hope it helps someone.

Vikram N

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Can you tell me how to do this for nexus S? How do I turn off the account sync feature in nexus S as I am facing the same problem after doing the Gmail update and selecting the sync up option?

Matthew Williams6

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
the following will work on all devices, but the path may differ for non-nexus devices:

Try
Disable sync on your phone,
settings -> data usage -> options -> auto-sync data off

And then
Removing all the google accounts you have.
settings -> accounts -> google -> remove each google account

Then restart your phone and re-enable sync. you should be able to safely re-add your google accounts.

Hope this helps.
Matthew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21