Nexus 4 - Ram question

Snothy

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I just bought my nexus 4 like 4 days ago, my last phone was Samsung Galaxy Ace. So Nexus 4 has 2 GB ram, but when i do heavy multitasking, then i close the apps it went from 500ram used to 700, next day to 900 and next day to 1.3gb ram used without any apps running. I rebooted it and now its barely using 400 with facebook and skype running. Why does this happen?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Right, that's more akin to closing a window than to force stopping a process.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I will say this again. "Unused RAM is wasted RAM." used ram will never degrade performance or use battery.

In-fact it improves performance and save battery a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think closing apps in mutlitasking pane works the same way as task killers do.
Am I wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI4ZEhlsX-Y

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I can swipe away an app from the recent menus and then go check in my Watchdog app and memory is still allocated to the app I swiped away. I have to forcefully stop it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

seriously i wouldn't use task manager. that's the worst you can install on a Nexus with lot of negative side effects.
if you are rooted use Greenify. best app ever..

back to your point. like mentioned in the video some app clear it from the memory after closing from recent list
but some app(service apps) will have some footprint even after closing apps (Task killer will have a big negative effects on these kind of apps.)

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok, this article makes sense. I have noticed different behavior with different apps. Notably, some apps do close out, while others remain in the background and some switch to services.

http://www.howtogeek.com/169549/wha...ipe-an-android-app-from-the-recent-apps-list/

The video appears to explain it the same. Not all apps are completely closed. And he mentions the switching to services. I notice some apps just stay in the background. Also, at the end of the video he states swiping them "pretty much" frees all memory. From what I see, it is less than what he implies, but I'm sure this would be dependent on what type of apps one typically runs.

Last edited:

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
seriously i wouldn't use task manager. that's the worst you can install on a Nexus with lot of negative side effects.
if you are rooted use Greenify. best app ever..

back to your point. like mentioned in the video some app clear it from the memory after closing from recent list
but some app(service apps) will have some footprint even after closing apps (Task killer will have a big negative effects on these kind of apps.)

Watchdog is not a typical task manager. It monitors for misbehaving apps and alerts me when one is misbehaving so I can forcefully close it. It rarely happens, but it does happen.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I notice battery improvement when I swipe away recently used apps. Not using N4, but with my two other phones right now. I've been doing that for a month or so and it does seem to help.

Sent from my C5170 via Tapatalk 2