Last year's Nexus 4 launch

bro1999

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
How many of you tried to order a Nexus 4 on the first day of release via the play store? What time did they officially go on sale? What was your experience like? I am planning on purchasing a Nexus 5 (or whatever it's called) when it is released, due to surprisingly being able to sell my current 8gb N4 for just $20 less than what I bought it for back in March ($280!).

I'm wondering if I'm in for a bunch of headaches trying to log into the play store when the Nexus 5 goes live.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
According to my Google Wallet log, my order was placed on November 13th at 11:35 AM. My recollection is that the announced "go live" time was 12:00 noon (eastern time) but I was monitoring the web site constantly and it actually went live at 11:30 AM. My order was placed within minutes.

However, if you look back at the earliest messages in this forum, you will find that within 30 minutes of actual go live at 11:30, people were having all sorts of problems and by early afternoon people were already being shut out due to lack of sufficient inventory, credit card processing, and/or other issues.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
According to my Google Wallet log, my order was placed on November 13th at 11:35 AM. My recollection is that the announced "go live" time was 12:00 noon (eastern time) but I was monitoring the web site constantly and it actually went live at 11:30 AM. My order was placed within minutes.

However, if you look back at the earliest messages in this forum, you will find that within 30 minutes of actual go live at 11:30, people were having all sorts of problems and by early afternoon people were already being shut out due to lack of sufficient inventory, credit card processing, and/or other issues.

I agree with what N4Newbie is saying. There was ton of issue when N4 was launched but with N7 2013 there was no issues with credit card processing,lack of inventory or site delays, In fact it never went down and the inventory was always 1-2 business days. I think Google learned their lesson.

I predict N5 will be smooth

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Also remember that the second generation Nexus 7 had a much bigger online retailer and brick and mortar presence than any previous Nexus device. It stands to reason that this will continue. Google doesn't want to be the primary source for customer fulfillment.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk now Free

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Again, I would point to the more recent and smoother N7.2 release that was much smoother.

I am cautiously optimistic for the release of this year's Nexus phone. I would expect Google and LG to learn from the Nexus 4's launch and not make the same mistakes.

Do you think this year's demand will be greater than last year's? Perhaps even more people will start placing orders on launch day and overwhelm the system again.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Possibly. I think with more online and traditional retail options, more folks may opt for non-PlayStore. I know I might.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Possibly. I think with more online and traditional retail options, more folks may opt for non-PlayStore. I know I might.

Well, they did sell the Nexus 4 in T-Mobile stores in the US, but the price was more expensive than the one in the Play store. Hopefully this year you can simply walk into a T-Mobile store and pick up a Nexus phone without paying much more.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, they did sell the Nexus 4 in T-Mobile stores in the US, but the price was more expensive than the one in the Play store. Hopefully this year you can simply walk into a T-Mobile store and pick up a Nexus phone without paying much more.

Yes, but not initially. If I recall correctly, it was several weeks after Play Store release of the Nexus 4 before it could be found in T-Mobile stores (or T-Mobile online).

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Forget about the N4 launch. It was broken. The N7.2 launch was much improved and there were a bunch more ways to get one. Heck, Google even lowered the ridiculous shipping cost.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Forget about the N4 launch. It was broken. The N7.2 launch was much improved and there were a bunch more ways to get one. Heck, Google even lowered the ridiculous shipping cost.

The improved launch of the 2013 Nexus 7 may be a result of Asus' efforts. We presume that the next Nexus phone will be from LG, and they may not be as smooth as Asus in launching their products. However, I do hope that you are ultimately correct. I would love to see another smooth Nexus launch.

DroidDavi

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully it will go smoother and they make enough . With all the leaks I'm sure productions is ramped up a

Posted via Android Central App

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
How many of you tried to order a Nexus 4 on the first day of release via the play store? What time did they officially go on sale? What was your experience like?
Well, to answer this in order, at the time this first became available, I tried to order one because I had some money available. There was mass confusion about the store's state (that is, "Available Soon" vs. "Available Now") because Google's Play retail division (and how far up the chain this went I'm not sure, but I guess "pretty far" would be a good guess) was nothing but a bunch of incompetent idiots who clearly had no clue about operating a successful retail operation. The whole thing was a really, horribly botched affair, further compromised by instances of people wanting 1 product but ordering 10, others trying to order 1 only to find out that between the time they chose 1 and went to pay for it, it had gotten sold out from under them, people being multiple-billed, and so forth and so on.

In other words, the experience was a total fustercluck.

I am planning on purchasing a Nexus 5 (or whatever it's called) when it is released <snip> I'm wondering if I'm in for a bunch of headaches trying to log into the play store when the Nexus 5 goes live.
That entirely depends on whether Google's pulled their head out of their *** or not by now. The future remains unwritten, so how about you go for it and tell us how well it worked, or how badly it failed?

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I checked multiple times.
Opened 10 minutes into my physics exam and sold out in 10. Australia wasn't restocked till late jan

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

Karrott9

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

But the Nexus 2013 was available in stores at launch. People were going to Best Buy/Staples/Office Max/Office Depot/Wal-Mart a couple days before launch and finding them already on the shelf and buying them that way. So we didn't hear problems about the Play Store. Unlike the Nexus 4 that was only available online. And then available from T-Mobile a few weeks later.

Posted via Android Central App

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Unlike the Nexus 4 that was only available online. And then available from T-Mobile a few weeks later.

I feel that T-Mobile missed an opportunity during the Nexus 4 launch. They could have held a big advertising campaign for both the Nexus 4 and the launch of their LTE network. Unfortunately, the Nexus 4 doesn't officially support LTE. (You need to flash the radio.) Perhaps they'll do something different the next time around.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad