Will KitKat extend Nexus 4's life by an extra year?

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm not just looking at LTE though. Look at the whole package. How long will you folks downplay LTE, 1080p screen, and better camera performance? That's what the N5 brings over the N4 and I think its a large enough improvement for one with a N4 to pull the trigger. I might.

Posted via Android Central App

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm not just looking at LTE though. Look at the whole package. How long will you folks downplay LTE, 1080p screen, and better camera performance? That's what the N5 brings over the N4 and I think its a large enough improvement for one with a N4 to pull the trigger. I might.

Well, in my market LTE (at least VZ's LTE) isn't as good as HSPA+. 1080p screen is nice, but tbh highly overstated in terms of impact on a small screen device. Better camera performance... well to be candid, it wouldn't take much to improve on the N4's performance... but we haven't seen what the N5 will do yet.

As of yet, not much to downplay. Not to say I won't succumb to my inner geek and upgrade anyway.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, in my market LTE (at least VZ's LTE) isn't as good as HSPA+. 1080p screen is nice, but tbh highly overstated in terms of impact on a small screen device. Better camera performance... well to be candid, it wouldn't take much to improve on the N4's performance... but we haven't seen what the N5 will do yet.

As of yet, not much to downplay. Not to say I won't succumb to my inner geek and upgrade anyway.

Understood. I look at the screen of the GS4 in comparison to my Nexus 4 and I'm still in awe. It really looks THAT much better. If the N5 screen is even remotely close to that level, its worth it IMO. N4 screen is great too, but then when you factor in LTE and a hopefully better camera, why not.

Not to mention dat price, if true. I may just upgrade yearly if its that cheap.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Understood. I look at the screen of the GS4 in comparison to my Nexus 4 and I'm still in awe. It really looks THAT much better. If the N5 screen is even remotely close to that level, its worth it IMO. N4 screen is great too, but then when you factor in LTE and a hopefully better camera, why not.

When comparing the two screens, is it more the size difference, resolution, or appearance (black level, color accuracy/saturation, etc) that you prefer on the GS4? If the latter, you may be a little disappointed with the N5, as I'd expect that the N5 will have an IPS screen like the N4 (where the GS4 has SAMOLED). When it comes to these two technologies, it's chocolate vs vanilla - a matter of personal preference.

And yeah, with the prices where they are, I think I'm just budgeting a new one every year too.

Tuco Ramirez

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
"extend life by an extra year"? I don't even know what that means. Sounds like if you don't have the kit-kat build your phone will automatically stop functioning or something. LOL.

life4eva

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
About 3 weeks ago I upgraded to the new LG G2 and T-Mobile, I couldn't be happier.........

My main issue with the Nexus 4 was the average battery life, poor camera with very slow focus and snap shot and honestly the capped Straight Talk service (not really Nexus fault). I must reiterate I truly dislike Straight Talk service, yes it is cheap but capped speeds low monthly limits and just horrible customer service.

I pay about $90 bucks a month for T-Mobile now which is a lot more than I use too, but the service is light years better and the internet speeds simply blow it out of the water. I can upgrade my phone now every 6 months (finance) have at least 9GBs a month of 4G speeds and an Amazing phone (LG G2) that imo is the best Android Phone ever released.

The main advantages of the new Nexus 5 is the price, $350 for a good unlocked phone is really nice. If I come back to Nexus as a second phone I will be using the service with T-Mobile or comparable major carrier. MetroPCS, Straight Talk, etc. are very poor service in comparison to the Major Ones.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
When comparing the two screens, is it more the size difference, resolution, or appearance (black level, color accuracy/saturation, etc) that you prefer on the GS4? If the latter, you may be a little disappointed with the N5, as I'd expect that the N5 will have an IPS screen like the N4 (where the GS4 has SAMOLED). When it comes to these two technologies, it's chocolate vs vanilla - a matter of personal preference.

And yeah, with the prices where they are, I think I'm just budgeting a new one every year too.

Okay well in terms of the screen, compare it to the HTC One then. 1080p on that is still a noticeable improvement from the N4. Or more directly, the G2 vs the N4. I haven't seen the G2 in person but everyone praises the screen particularly so at 1080, I expect something like that to be a huge difference from the N4.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

life4eva

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Okay well in terms of the screen, compare it to the HTC One then. 1080p on that is still a noticeable improvement from the N4. Or more directly, the G2 vs the N4. I haven't seen the G2 in person but everyone praises the screen particularly so at 1080, I expect something like that to be a huge difference from the N4.

LG G2 is a BIG difference from the Nexus 4. The camera is also much much better. I walked into the T-Mobile store earlier this month and told the salesman to show me every single new phone as I was leaving with one today...... No phone in that store compared to the LG G2, not the iPhone, S4, Note etc.... Heck the HTC One isn't even close.....

LG might not have the best marketing but I will tell you this, it is the Best cellphone I have used in a very long time. 13 megapixel camera is really nice and the Screen Display is beautiful. I bought the G2 and bought an iPhone 5s for the wife, I couldn't be happier. On the flip side though the Nexus 5 is only $350 compared to a $600-$700 phone and while I feel the G2 is much better than anything out the smart conservative person inside me says that the Nexus 5 will be a huge success. $350 for an unlocked phone is the best deal for any phone right now. In 6 months when newer phones come out maybe not but as of now the Nexus 5 looks great.

LG G2 is imo the best phone on a contract right now, but being in a contract or finance plan sucks, so I still give the edge to the Nexus 5 with it's awesome price of $350.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it is, but not quite 4G fast.

I have hspa+ from the mobile, my wife has Verizon and her phone blows mine away in speed.

In the NYC/Philly/DC area I get faster HSPA+ than I did Verizon LTE (sans the Tbolt days when it wasn't oversaturated). I get great LTE speeds w/ zero caveats using a hybrid radio on my N4. I've had as high as 50mbs down. Way more than needed, that's for sure! Love my N4, just as I did my S and GNex, but can't wait to get my hands on the N5!! The N4 has been my favorite device of the many I've owned thus far. Definitely don't need to upgrade, at all. Since I've been saving about $75 a month on Tmobile vs. Verizon...my Nexus 5 has already paid for itself a few times over. Booyah!
ltespeed.jpg

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

You probably wouldn't believe how good the Nexus 4's screen can look once properly calibrated..well exactly how YOU like it...using a custom kernel and and app (highly recommend franco kernel and his FKU app). The real beauty of owning a Nexus is the unmatched dev community. That's why it's always my daily driver. You could make it look exactly like the GS4's AMOLED if you so desire.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
LG G2 is a BIG difference from the Nexus 4. The camera is also much much better. I walked into the T-Mobile store earlier this month and told the salesman to show me every single new phone as I was leaving with one today...... No phone in that store compared to the LG G2, not the iPhone, S4, Note etc.... Heck the HTC One isn't even close.....

LG might not have the best marketing but I will tell you this, it is the Best cellphone I have used in a very long time. 13 megapixel camera is really nice and the Screen Display is beautiful. I bought the G2 and bought an iPhone 5s for the wife, I couldn't be happier. On the flip side though the Nexus 5 is only $350 compared to a $600-$700 phone and while I feel the G2 is much better than anything out the smart conservative person inside me says that the Nexus 5 will be a huge success. $350 for an unlocked phone is the best deal for any phone right now. In 6 months when newer phones come out maybe not but as of now the Nexus 5 looks great.

LG G2 is imo the best phone on a contract right now, but being in a contract or finance plan sucks, so I still give the edge to the Nexus 5 with it's awesome price of $350.

Just as the Nexus 4 was to the Opitmus G, the Nexus 5 will share all of the G2's important hardware specs albeit having much better software, price, longevity, and dev community. The 13mp on the Optimus G was worse than the 8mp on the Nexus 4 in many reviewer's opinion. So one can reasonably expect the 8mp shooter with OIS to be comparable to the SPECTACULAR camera on the G2. If it's 3/4 as good I'll be thrilled. I've managed to take some great pictures even on the lousy ol' Gnex camera. OIS is really what helps the average Joe photographer (like me). The S800 barely flinches with LG's heavy skin or even Touchwiz (I've been able to get the G2 and GN3 to lag) so it will be an absolute beast running vanilla Android. Kitkat 4.4 is supposed to bring a lot of optimizations so I wouldn't be surprised if the N5 running 4.4 w/ a 2300mah battery gets better battery life than the G2 running a skinned 4.2.2 with a 3000mah battery. Even 4.3 brought a very noticable battery life improvement to my Nexus 4. Last but not least, the Nexus 5 will be smaller than the Nexus 4 with a slightly larger screen AND have the buttons in the proper placement. Impressive! Of course, this post is full of opinions and they are like a$$holes:D Oh, definitely don't mean to rain on your parade. The G2 is a great device! Enjoy it!

Last edited:

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

G2 is great hardware. Replace it with stock software and I'd be sold. LG has hands down the worst skin.

You probably wouldn't believe how good the Nexus 4's screen can look once properly calibrated..well exactly how YOU like it...using a custom kernel and and app (highly recommend franco kernel and his FKU app). The real beauty of owning a Nexus is the unmatched dev community. That's why it's always my daily driver. You could make it look exactly like the GS4's AMOLED if you so desire.

I'm running Franco kernel with a custom color profile. Helps a ton but still, 1080p would be a welcome change.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't think anyone is downplaying the improvements to the N5, its more if they are necessary. I don't miss LTE at all. I don't use my phones camera except for casual pictures. My N4 does everything I need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34