Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree21Likes

Default Re: Android 4.4 kit kat on nexus 4

The only thing I'm a fanboy of is liberty and freedom. Google has done an excellent job of providing serious and credible competition to Apple. They don't deliberately prevent their OSs from running on older hardware, unlike Apple. Apple's business model, with respect to both iOS and Mac OS X, includes deliberately restricting the deployment of their OS to only hardware they want, even when that hardware is their own.

It absolutely *does* stick it in their face when the market embraces a company which produces the same sort of product (i.e. a smartphone platform) without the restriction more than they do a company which limits their freedom.

To the extent that there is understanding and knowledge out there among the public, which is driving this particular turn of events, I am very proud of my fellow human beings as participants in the marketplace for doing this. Good on ya, y'all...
    Erick Newman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    The only thing I'm a fanboy of is liberty and freedom. Google has done an excellent job of providing serious and credible competition to Apple. They don't deliberately prevent their OSs from running on older hardware, unlike Apple. Apple's business model, with respect to both iOS and Mac OS X, includes deliberately restricting the deployment of their OS to only hardware they want, even when that hardware is their own.

It absolutely *does* stick it in their face when the market embraces a company which produces the same sort of product (i.e. a smartphone platform) without the restriction more than they do a company which limits their freedom.

To the extent that there is understanding and knowledge out there among the public, which is driving this particular turn of events, I am very proud of my fellow human beings as participants in the marketplace for doing this. Good on ya, y'all...
    The iPhone 3GS CANNOT run iOS 7. IOS 7 barely runs on the iPhone 4. Oh and you ask why no support for 2006 Macs? They were Power PC chip sets. No artificial limits I see mate.

Posted via Android Central App

I'm not going to sit here and argue this with you since you obviously don't know or want to know about Apple's history in this regard.

I'm not going to sit here and argue this with you since you obviously don't know or want to know about Apple's history in this regard.
    Yup. Just make assumptions about me. I'm done as well.

Would you care explaining then?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar likes this.

Jesus Christ calm down people. We are all here to discuss a common interest. Ease up on the throttle a little.

Apple has inserted arbitrary hardware requirement restrictions in their OS products. In other words, while of course there's hardware that legitimately lacks the ability to run the thing, there's other hardware that can, but they have chosen not to allow it to happen. Mac OS X 10.5, for example, cannot officially be installed on anything other than a G5, or a G4 system of something like 600 or 700MHz, if I recall correctly, and also has a certain minimum RAM requirement. However, it's actually capable of running on ANY G4 system (as long as you have at least 256MB of RAM, though 512MB is better).

There have been previous instances of this with Mac OS X, and instances with Classic Mac OS as well.

This is all in addition to not being able to install a legally-purchased copy of Mac OS X on whatever supportable hardware you feel like. (Yes, I know you can with Hackintosh-type stuff, but you can't do it out of the box).

Apple has inserted arbitrary hardware requirement restrictions in their OS products. In other words, while of course there's hardware that legitimately lacks the ability to run the thing, there's other hardware that can, but they have chosen not to allow it to happen. Mac OS X 10.5, for example, cannot officially be installed on anything other than a G5, or a G4 system of something like 600 or 700MHz, if I recall correctly, and also has a certain minimum RAM requirement. However, it's actually capable of running on ANY G4 system (as long as you have at least 256MB of RAM, though 512MB is better).

There have been previous instances of this with Mac OS X, and instances with Classic Mac OS as well.

This is all in addition to not being able to install a legally-purchased copy of Mac OS X on whatever supportable hardware you feel like. (Yes, I know you can with Hackintosh-type stuff, but you can't do it out of the box).
    Hardware business. They would want to make sure they get to keep OSX for themselves. That's the past. Now Apple doesn't give functionality to devices because they legitimately can't run it. Eg iPad 2 lacks a WiFi direct chip set.

They don't deliberately prevent their OSs from running on older hardware, unlike Apple.
    After reading about the fact that some features of the new 4.4 launcher will be exclusive to the Nexus 5 I think this point does no longer hold. Very disappointing from Google.

Also being for liberty and freedom is all good, but that also means that people should be free to choose to get an iPhone if it is the right choice for them without them being labelled as iSheeps or whatnot. If you think that objectively the iPhone can't be the better choice for anyone then we are witnessing a giant market failure.
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar and TechAddict like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ysbg View Post
    After reading about the fact that some features of the new 4.4 launcher will be exclusive to the Nexus 5 I think this point does no longer hold. Very disappointing from Google.

Also being for liberty and freedom is all good, but that also means that people should be free to choose to get an iPhone if it is the right choice for them without them being labelled as iSheeps or whatnot. If you think that objectively the iPhone can't be the better choice for anyone then we are witnessing a giant market failure.
    Don't forget not supporting the Galaxy Nexus.

Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    Don't forget not supporting the Galaxy Nexus.

Agreed, although I guess this point is up for debate by some given the 18 months and TI processor things.

Quote Originally Posted by ysbg View Post
    Agreed, although I guess this point is up for debate by some given the 18 months and TI processor things.
    18 months isn't an excuse. the iPhone 4 is 36 months old. Before anyone says the 4 doesn't get all the new features, you would be damn right. The thing is the iPhone 4 still gets all the new API's.

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    18 months isn't an excuse. the iPhone 4 is 36 months old. Before anyone says the 4 doesn't get all the new features, you would be damn right. The thing is the iPhone 4 still gets all the new API's.
    While I agree that the GNex not getting 4.4 is a raw deal for those who own it, the GNex's 18 month update life fits in perfectly with Google's prior attempts to get manufacturers to support their Android phones for at least that long. Besides, I don't recall Google ever promising a particular length of support for any Nexus phone. We all just assumed the GNex would get updated because the others had been supported for two years.

I think Google is done with trying to get updates passed through Verizon. I don't remember if it was Android central or Android police that said that ti was easier to program for than just about anything else. So I think they didn't want to split the gnex by releasing for the gsm model only. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Any one noticed that in the last 24 hours or so a lot of their google apps are updating in bundles? COuld this be the calm before the N4 OTA?
    The "infraction"

Yup my n4 has been getting a lot of updates

sent from Nexus 4 Posted via Android Central App

Galaxy nexus still will receive the latest API's through Google play services

I'm going to wait for KKK. Seriously, not that anxious, just want it to work when it comes. But then I remember updating Windows & having many incompatibilities & problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by boparunsxc View Post
    Do we know when KK will be available?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123