Android 4.4 kit kat on nexus 4

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
They said that about 4.3. I did that and still not one problem. Screwing the account is more a myth than the work around

Posted using Nexus 4 via Android Central App

Did it with my Galaxy Nexus and it screwed my account synching.

Didn't try it on my N4.

I'll wait. Last update took ten days for me to get it after it was announced it was pushing to the N4.

Posted via Android Central App

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Given that Nexus devices seem to be in line ahead of GPE devices and GPEs were slated for a two week upgrade timeframe, I'd imagine this time next week 4.4 will start trickling out via OTA to N4 and then N7 2013, N10, N 7 2012.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Given that Nexus devices seem to be in line ahead of GPE devices and GPEs were slated for a two week upgrade timeframe, I'd imagine this time next week 4.4 will start trickling out via OTA to N4 and then N7 2013, N10, N 7 2012.

Hopefully this too will be leaked soon or someone will post up that they got 4.4 and where theyre located.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Whenever I have gotten a whole release update of Android (not just little incidental updates) I always wipe my phone first to prevent problems. With the exception of a straight Debian upgrade, there isn't a single OS on any kind of hardware that I don't do a clean install first before doing an OS upgrade.

It occurs to me that, when 4.3 came out, I took several piles of flaming dog excrement from people here over suggesting they go about it in that fashion, so this time I'm only going to say that's the procedure I am going to use. The rest of you folks... you can do whatever you want.

boss.king

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I think you got flak not for what you were saying buy for the sheer number of times you said it, often in places where is was somewhat irrelevant advice. To your credit it's never a bad idea to do a clean install but once we've all heard it 5 or 6 times it can get old.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm not buying an N5, either, so 4.4 on an N4 is much more important to me personally. That doesn't mean I don't care about the N5, or the N5 getting 4.4. That's really awesome. It's also really awesome that the GNS and lots of other older hardware will also eventually get 4.4, as this just sticks it in Apple's face all the more.

Why bring Apple up in a remotely unrelated topic?

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I think it was brought it as android was criticised by them for not updating old flagships etc and fragmenting updates

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

richhoops

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I love the N5, I have one at work I've played with (and had to hand back) and it seems fantastic but I still think I'm going to sit it out for now and see what 4.4 is like on my N4, what it does to battery life etc

Often an OS update is enough to shake away my urges for a new device so I'm hoping that will be the case with KitKat. I want to keep the N4 for a while yet, frankly it does everything I need it to exceptionally well so I have no reason to change or need to spend the cash. I could put that money towards a chromebook 11 when they're out and have change.

That doesn't stop the N5 calling at me in the back of my mind though!

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Why bring Apple up in a remotely unrelated topic?
and...
I think it was brought it as android was criticised by them for not updating old flagships etc and fragmenting updates.

I'm sorry, Chetan, did someone die and make you king, whereupon you outlawed everything you do not like?

Fairclough brings up a fair point, even though it wasn't foremost in my mind at the time. Apple has been able to make that happen in a sense through forcing carriers into becoming relegated to the status of Network-layer service providers. To the extent that Google, Mozilla, RIM, and yes, even Microsoft, can do that, it will be a boon to us users.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
and...

I'm sorry, Chetan, did someone die and make you king, whereupon you outlawed everything you do not like?

Fairclough brings up a fair point, even though it wasn't foremost in my mind at the time. Apple has been able to make that happen in a sense through forcing carriers into becoming relegated to the status of Network-layer service providers. To the extent that Google, Mozilla, RIM, and yes, even Microsoft, can do that, it will be a boon to us users.

Sure it will. But saying "this just sticks it in Apple's face all the more" reeks of fanboyism. You simply did not need to say that, oh and I'm giving my opinion and you can't stop me can you?

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I'm a fanboy of is liberty and freedom. Google has done an excellent job of providing serious and credible competition to Apple. They don't deliberately prevent their OSs from running on older hardware, unlike Apple. Apple's business model, with respect to both iOS and Mac OS X, includes deliberately restricting the deployment of their OS to only hardware they want, even when that hardware is their own.

It absolutely *does* stick it in their face when the market embraces a company which produces the same sort of product (i.e. a smartphone platform) without the restriction more than they do a company which limits their freedom.

To the extent that there is understanding and knowledge out there among the public, which is driving this particular turn of events, I am very proud of my fellow human beings as participants in the marketplace for doing this. Good on ya, y'all...

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I'm a fanboy of is liberty and freedom. Google has done an excellent job of providing serious and credible competition to Apple. They don't deliberately prevent their OSs from running on older hardware, unlike Apple. Apple's business model, with respect to both iOS and Mac OS X, includes deliberately restricting the deployment of their OS to only hardware they want, even when that hardware is their own.

It absolutely *does* stick it in their face when the market embraces a company which produces the same sort of product (i.e. a smartphone platform) without the restriction more than they do a company which limits their freedom.

To the extent that there is understanding and knowledge out there among the public, which is driving this particular turn of events, I am very proud of my fellow human beings as participants in the marketplace for doing this. Good on ya, y'all...

The iPhone 3GS CANNOT run iOS 7. IOS 7 barely runs on the iPhone 4. Oh and you ask why no support for 2006 Macs? They were Power PC chip sets. No artificial limits I see mate.

jimrebello

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Jesus Christ calm down people. We are all here to discuss a common interest. Ease up on the throttle a little.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Apple has inserted arbitrary hardware requirement restrictions in their OS products. In other words, while of course there's hardware that legitimately lacks the ability to run the thing, there's other hardware that can, but they have chosen not to allow it to happen. Mac OS X 10.5, for example, cannot officially be installed on anything other than a G5, or a G4 system of something like 600 or 700MHz, if I recall correctly, and also has a certain minimum RAM requirement. However, it's actually capable of running on ANY G4 system (as long as you have at least 256MB of RAM, though 512MB is better).

There have been previous instances of this with Mac OS X, and instances with Classic Mac OS as well.

This is all in addition to not being able to install a legally-purchased copy of Mac OS X on whatever supportable hardware you feel like. (Yes, I know you can with Hackintosh-type stuff, but you can't do it out of the box).

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Apple has inserted arbitrary hardware requirement restrictions in their OS products. In other words, while of course there's hardware that legitimately lacks the ability to run the thing, there's other hardware that can, but they have chosen not to allow it to happen. Mac OS X 10.5, for example, cannot officially be installed on anything other than a G5, or a G4 system of something like 600 or 700MHz, if I recall correctly, and also has a certain minimum RAM requirement. However, it's actually capable of running on ANY G4 system (as long as you have at least 256MB of RAM, though 512MB is better).

There have been previous instances of this with Mac OS X, and instances with Classic Mac OS as well.

This is all in addition to not being able to install a legally-purchased copy of Mac OS X on whatever supportable hardware you feel like. (Yes, I know you can with Hackintosh-type stuff, but you can't do it out of the box).

Hardware business. They would want to make sure they get to keep OSX for themselves. That's the past. Now Apple doesn't give functionality to devices because they legitimately can't run it. Eg iPad 2 lacks a WiFi direct chip set.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
They don't deliberately prevent their OSs from running on older hardware, unlike Apple.

After reading about the fact that some features of the new 4.4 launcher will be exclusive to the Nexus 5 I think this point does no longer hold. Very disappointing from Google.

Also being for liberty and freedom is all good, but that also means that people should be free to choose to get an iPhone if it is the right choice for them without them being labelled as iSheeps or whatnot. If you think that objectively the iPhone can't be the better choice for anyone then we are witnessing a giant market failure.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
After reading about the fact that some features of the new 4.4 launcher will be exclusive to the Nexus 5 I think this point does no longer hold. Very disappointing from Google.

Also being for liberty and freedom is all good, but that also means that people should be free to choose to get an iPhone if it is the right choice for them without them being labelled as iSheeps or whatnot. If you think that objectively the iPhone can't be the better choice for anyone then we are witnessing a giant market failure.

Don't forget not supporting the Galaxy Nexus.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca