Best process for transitioning from Nexus 4 to Nexus 5?

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I realize this is more of a general android questions, but...

I currently have an N4 and hope to have an N5 in a week or so. I'd like the transition to N5 to be as seamless as possible.

Currently I have my app data backed up to Box via Helium. I've never needed to make use of the backup through. Conceivably can I simply restore the backup data onto the N5 once google loads all my apps? (I backup App Data Only).

Another decision would be regarding photos. I use stock camera and Camerazoom (saving to different places). I also have downloads/screenshots/etc. I'd just need to copy, via laptop, all the image files from the N4 to the N5 (into appropriate dirs), no?

What else would I need to do? (I don't really store music locally on the N4.)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I realize this is more of a general android questions, but...

I currently have an N4 and hope to have an N5 in a week or so. I'd like the transition to N5 to be as seamless as possible.

Currently I have my app data backed up to Box via Helium. I've never needed to make use of the backup through. Conceivably can I simply restore the backup data onto the N5 once google loads all my apps? (I backup App Data Only).

Another decision would be regarding photos. I use stock camera and Camerazoom (saving to different places). I also have downloads/screenshots/etc. I'd just need to copy, via laptop, all the image files from the N4 to the N5 (into appropriate dirs), no?

What else would I need to do? (I don't really store music locally on the N4.)
Connect the N4 to a computer and place all the files onto a desktop folder on the PC. This way, you can just connect the N5 and drag the files to their appropriate locations when you are ready to use the new device.

Regarding application data, use caution with restoring apps since some may not be compatible or could cause issues. This will mainly be due to the new OS. It's not likely, but could be possible, so keep that in mind. And remember, only /user data can be transferred over, not /system data.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith