Highly recommend enabling ART.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
For those who already upgraded their Nexus 4 to KitKat, ART is a killer feature. As you may already know it is the new runtime that will replace Dalvik. I can notice the interface being much smoother and apps launching slightly faster, it felt like a CPU upgrade. This improvement alone might save me $350 from wanting to upgrade to the Nexus 5.

This can be enabled in the "Developer options" menu under 'Select runtime'. Two things to note, since its very new some apps won't be compatible. Also you need to run an odexed rom and odexed gapps (which is what stock Android is) before enabling it, otherwize the phone will crash and factory reset might required. You can also avoid forced closes by enabling it after a factory reset.

Some people say its just placebo, but I see a clear improvement in the overall smoothness of the OS. And don't use benchmarks as confirmation, Antutu doesn't even work correctly with KitKat yet, let alone this.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking, who is Art and why should I enable him? :p

All joking aside, thanks for the heads up, and a brief how to.

dubyasux

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Don't try this, after turning it on I kept getting errors.

Posted via Android Central App

Not all apps will run with ART enabled. If an app that you find indispensable has not yet been upgraded for KitKat, you can easily change the Android runtime back to Dalvik by selecting Settings --> Developer options --> Select runtime --> Use Dalvik and allowing your Nexus to reboot and rebuild the dalvik cache. It will take a little time (approximately 5 minutes) to rebuild the cache and boot to your home screen.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I honestly haven't ran into a single force closed since enabling ART, but I don't use a ton of apps. I know Titanium Backup 6.1.3 is supposed to not be compatible, but I prefer Helium. As I mentioned, you should be using an odexed rom.

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I just enabled it. I haven't run into any force closes on my most important apps yet. But I'm also not sure I notice a huge speed difference. I'll have to use it for a little while before I can decide that. I wish I had two N4's side by side so I could try one with Dalvik and one with ART. By the time I enable one, reboot, build the cache, and get the phone back up and running, it's hard to notice if it was any faster/slower beforehand.

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
After about a half day of use, I can say that the phone feels snappier. No FC's at all either. With this and the lte mod, it's starting to feel like i upgraded my phone this year. I swear, this n4 is the phone that just keeps on giving.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
After about a half day of use, I can say that the phone feels snappier. No FC's at all either. With this and the lte mod, it's starting to feel like i upgraded my phone this year. I swear, this n4 is the phone that just keeps on giving.

The giving tree/phone

Sent from my HTC Xperia S4

dsl4life

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone here enabled ART on the Nexus 7 2013? The delivery just showed up with me new Nexus 7 with LTE... and I'm thinking about switching to ART right away. My Nexus 4 i running ART... works great. Just want to know your experience with it on the tablet.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Adobe Flash isn't compatible with ART.... for those of us who use it with Dolphin, Boat or other compatible browser.

sibeans

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Just played around with a friend's n7 (2012) and he is noticing there are instances of lag worth the new update, I recommended switching to ART caching but it wasn't available.... Any recommendations?

Posted from my "CrackDroid" Nexus 4 via the Android Central App

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Just played around with a friend's n7 (2012) and he is noticing there are instances of lag worth the new update, I recommended switching to ART caching but it wasn't available.... Any recommendations?

Posted from my "CrackDroid" Nexus 4 via the Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams