Google drops the ball with slow kikat rollout

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

Google4Lifee

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I doubt longer than a week... maybe a few days. week at most.

Remember GPE HTC one (phone) is getting kitkat on the 15th.
You think google would want an htc phone to get it before a nexus 4?

Last edited:

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like the Nexus 4 won't be updated for another week, maybe longer.
Do you have specific info regarding the timeline? To me the "soon" mentioned by Google can mean anything, from a few hours to a few weeks. I guess I'm just hoping we're talking about hours or days, not weeks..

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
No. They don't do staggered roll outs.

Some people weren't able to get the update for a couple of days. I couldn't get it on my iPad until the day after. Might not be "staggered" but not everyone was able to get it at the time if release

Posted via Android Central App

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
So the wait continues for the Nexus 4 Update. Really kind of surprising that the 2012 Nexus 7 is getting updated before the Nexus 4. Sounds like the Nexus 4 won't be updated for another week, maybe longer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Probably something to do with the fact that the N4 has mobile data; the devices getting the update now are all Wi-Fi only and the devices getting the update "soon" all have mobile data capabilites.

Some people weren't able to get the update for a couple of days. I couldn't get it on my iPad until the day after. Might not be "staggered" but not everyone was able to get it at the time if release

So I guess staggered, but less gradual than with Android.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

Perhaps servers getting slammed. But I don't class that as staggered. First day of a new iOS is gonna slam the servers hard. 1 day is still better then a few weeks though.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps servers getting slammed. But I don't class that as staggered. First day of a new iOS is gonna slam the servers hard. 1 day is still better then a few weeks though.
I'd still rather wait a few weeks for an Android update then one day for an iOS update. I did the update on my iPad and so far it hasn't been much better than iOS 6 aside from the control centre. Lags a lot on the iPad 2

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

There are probably pros and cons to each. Also, in all fairness, I don't think it's ever been "a few weeks" for the updates to completely roll out. Seems like it's usually more like a week to 10 days...tops. (and as I and others have mentioned, it's quite easy to either grab the OTA or factory image and install manually within the first 24 hours...so it's really about the same).

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
There are probably pros and cons to each. Also, in all fairness, I don't think it's ever been "a few weeks" for the updates to completely roll out. Seems like it's usually more like a week to 10 days...tops. (and as I and others have mentioned, it's quite easy to either grab the OTA or factory image and install manually within the first 24 hours...so it's really about the same).

My experiences are not the same. I waited 2 weeks for 4.3

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Me too, I can't imagine a more traumatic experience than having to wait a couple weeks for an update. The POW capture and interrogation training I had to do when I was in recon was easier than waiting for nexus updates! 14...DAYS?? That's cra-cra! Hopefully Google streamlines this down to at least 0.00374 nanoseconds or I'm likely to have a massive OCD meltdown.

I had to see the doctor yesterday because not only did I keep pushing check for updates every 10 seconds for an entire day, but in between each push, I punched myself in the face in a fit of rage. Now I have a broken finger AND face.

I'm going to switch to an iPhone so I can fit in better at Starbuck's, and enjoy a simpler smartphone experience. Advanced functionality is for lamers. As long as I have a cool logo to take instagram pics of my latte and some candy crush, I'm good.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Me too, I can't imagine a more traumatic experience than having to wait a couple weeks for an update. The POW capture and interrogation training I had to do when I was in recon was easier than waiting for nexus updates! 14...DAYS?? That's cra-cra! Hopefully Google streamlines this down to at least 0.00374 nanoseconds or I'm likely to have a massive OCD meltdown.

I had to see the doctor yesterday because not only did I keep pushing check for updates every 10 seconds for an entire day, but in between each push, I punched myself in the face in a fit of rage. Now I have a broken finger AND face

We must develope a treatment center for phone users who suffered from PTSD and OCD due to slow updates or lack of updates at all. All those poor souls who use non-Nexus devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781