Google drops the ball with slow kikat rollout

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Google has arguably done a lot better by its users in a number of respects than Apple has. So, while I'm excited about 4.4, I also know I'm rocking better stuff than a lot of people out there who have the fruit phone.

Incidentally, does anyone know if there's the backdoors in Android that there evidently are in iOS, Mac OS X, and Windows with respect to the NSA, etc.? I mean, that's kind of a big deal to me, and think it should be to everyone else as well.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Me too, I can't imagine a more traumatic experience than having to wait a couple weeks for an update. The POW capture and interrogation training I had to do when I was in recon was easier than waiting for nexus updates! 14...DAYS?? That's cra-cra! Hopefully Google streamlines this down to at least 0.00374 nanoseconds or I'm likely to have a massive OCD meltdown.

I had to see the doctor yesterday because not only did I keep pushing check for updates every 10 seconds for an entire day, but in between each push, I punched myself in the face in a fit of rage. Now I have a broken finger AND face.

I'm going to switch to an iPhone so I can fit in better at Starbuck's, and enjoy a simpler smartphone experience. Advanced functionality is for lamers. As long as I have a cool logo to take instagram pics of my latte and some candy crush, I'm good.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Excuse me? What's this meant to mean? I don't have an iPhone fyi.

- - - Updated - - -

Google has arguably done a lot better by its users in a number of respects than Apple has. So, while I'm excited about 4.4, I also know I'm rocking better stuff than a lot of people out there who have the fruit phone.

Incidentally, does anyone know if there's the backdoors in Android that there evidently are in iOS, Mac OS X, and Windows with respect to the NSA, etc.? I mean, that's kind of a big deal to me, and think it should be to everyone else as well.

Ha. Disagree about the superior thing.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I believe you.. But that seems longer than usual

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

It is. 4.2.2 was much quicker but of course comparatively it was a smaller update soooo.

- - - Updated - - -

You disagree that it lags? That's not an opinion...

Posted via Android Central App

"I'd still rather wait a few weeks for an Android update then one day for an iOS update" That's what I said I disagree on.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

At this point I just assume anything I do online is leaving breadcrumbs that somewhere, someone has swept up into some massive database. While I haven't heard direct evidence that the NSA or any other government agency has a backdoor into Android, it honestly would not surprise me.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
The f'd up part is that im within 45 minutes of Google and i always seem like the last to get updates.

4ringsa6

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Are all you guys with 4.4 sideloading? OTA hasn't roles out yet has it? If so I need to start clearing GFW. Worked for me last time with 4.3

mrvco

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site

Nope, rest easy, there are absolutely no backdoors in the single most popular smart phone OS in the world.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm assuming it's a little bit less likely with Android than with, obviously, Blackberry, or iOS and such, simply because the bulk of the OS is F/OSS. However, it only takes the tiniest little bit of code to create a backdoor into an otherwise secure OS, so...

And unlike Richard Stallman, I really can't get along without a cell phone, particularly a smart phone. Since I don't maintain a landline, in order to be at all contactable I must have a cell phone.

Kamin

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Wait. You mean they're not releasing 4.4.2 first?

lol well what I mean is that KitKat is buggy with some stuff particularly for those of us who sync Exchange accounts. So one might regret being so anxious to be a beta tester for 4.4. But yeah, where is 4.5 already! =P

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
At this point I just assume anything I do online is leaving breadcrumbs that somewhere, someone has swept up into some massive database. While I haven't heard direct evidence that the NSA or any other government agency has a backdoor into Android, it honestly would not surprise me.

Let's just say if you do IT stuff you understand it's technologically possible. They can push OTA updates to your device, get your exact location, all the smart Google Now features, so why not something more?

If you pay attention when you type the search even in Firefox's Google search bar, information is being sent as you type (for search suggestion), they not only know what you sent but every single letters you typed as well.

People doesn't realize that Apple is probably is a worse offender, the fact that they never talk about it and they have a close source system gives them less scrutinization, but you can just take a look at patents they filed related to information gathering, particularly biometric gathering, and I'm not just talking about fingerprints.

I use Cerberus which have the ability to hide in the phone, exist through factory resets, I can remotely gather location, record sounds, take photo, sim card and phone information. It's no where compared to what Google and Apple can do.

It's not really Google that you should be concerned about, but the backbone of the network and where it goes which we don't really have control over. At least with Android you gets choices, if you don't want to use Google services you can use AOSP, although still tied to some proprietary aspects is still going to give you better battery life and less data usage.

sent from tapatalk app

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
With regard to the responses by both Citizen Coyote and someguy01234:

My post, which the two of you have now responded to, was intended as a tongue-in-cheek jab at the U.S. Government spying scandal (of which the NSA is a part), as much as it is also a tongue-in-cheek jab at the semi-proprietary nature of Android. You both have made some excellent points, and in particular someguy01234's comment about the backbone is painfully to the point and relevant.

The only thing that comes close to equaling my anger and frustration with the actions of my own government is the utter inaction and indifference of the people to what is going on. I really don't understand why so many people seem to think it is acceptable or that nothing can possibly be done about it (so why try?) even though they are being violated. Sorry if this post seems more political than it should be, but the truth is everything we're doing here either directly or indirectly contributes to the problem, or at the minimum just kind of ignores the problem.

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Let?s see?

iOS 7 was announced on 10 Jun 2013. It was released on 18 Sep 2013. That's 100 days in between.

The N5 and Kit-Kat were announced on 31 Oct 2013. That?s 11 days ago. Relax.

Incorrect logic there buddy. KitKat was announced in September I believe if you want to get technical. As soon as Google had a shipping product with Kit Kat by all means the OTA should have been rolling. Especially with the Galaxy Nexus dropping support the rollout shouldn't have lasted longer than 48 hours. Listen to the last Android Central Podcast.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Incorrect logic there buddy. KitKat was announced in September I believe if you want to get technical. As soon as Google had a shipping product with Kit Kat by all means the OTA should have been rolling. Especially with the Galaxy Nexus dropping support the rollout shouldn't have lasted longer than 48 hours. Listen to the last Android Central Podcast.

There are two main reasons why rollouts take so long:
1. They don't want to bog down their servers.
2. If a critical bug is found, they can immediately stop rollout before many devices are affected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay