Google drops the ball with slow kikat rollout

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
There are two main reasons why rollouts take so long

I wonder why Apple don't have those issues? When an iOS update is released it is released the same time to everybody and on all generations of hardware. Pity Google can't manage that because it is just a source of frustration.

ohyeahar

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I wonder why Apple don't have those issues? When an iOS update is released it is released the same time to everybody and on all generations of hardware. Pity Google can't manage that because it is just a source of frustration.

I'd say it's not really valid to compare the update process...

1. In terms of complexity between iOS vs Android, there?s no competition. Android wins by so much it?s not even fair. It?s this high level of complexity that satisfies a lot of Android users. But it?s the same complexity that has the potential for problems.

2. It?s not really true that Apple updates all their hardware to the latest OS version. Sure, the OS version numbers may be the same. But is iOS7 on the iPhone 5s, the same as on the iPhone 5, the same as on the iPhone 4s, the same as on the iPhone4, etc? The answer?s no. If that?s the case, then are they really updated to the same OS version?

3. Apple controls the software and hardware from top to bottom. Android is just software. And while Google does have some sort of control over the Nexus hardware, it?s still not made by them. The hardware may be designed or approved by Google. But in the end, it?s still 3rd party hardware.

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
[Insult removed by moderator] There are two reasons people generally end up in the Nexus camp - either they want to hack the crap out of their phone without the restrictions of manufacturer and carrier or they've been beyond frustrated with rollouts of Android updates in the past. Many people are in the same boat as me, got frustrated and pissed off at the carriers and manufacturers and their impossible update situation and got drawn in by Google's promises of immediate updates. Am I going to die or feel like a POW because I didn't get my update yet? No. But do I feel a little tiny bit of the same frustration I felt with my HTC Inspire and Moto Atrix 2? Yes, yes I do. I don't care if it's reasonable or not, and I frankly don't care if Google has good reasons for doing it. I want new versions of Android when they're released. Period.

I'm a Nexus owner, I'm a Nexus owner because I wanted immediate updates from Google, and I'm frustrated that I've been ignored by Google.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'd say it's not really valid to compare the update process...
3. Apple controls the software and hardware from top to bottom. Android is just software. And while Google does have some sort of control over the Nexus hardware, it’s still not made by them. The hardware may be designed or approved by Google. But in the end, it’s still 3rd party hardware.

This is, frankly, BS. Google runs the Nexus program as their hardware, for their purposes. It shouldn't matter who makes it, and they even tout it that way.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Seriously people?? I used to wait months for an upgrade thru my carrier. Now, with the Nexus, getting an upgrade within 2-3 weeks makes me ecstatic. Sorry, but I don't get all the whining and crying.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site

IOS is released as beta for months before it is released to the public. Its a little different.
That being said, where's my update Google?

Posted via Android Central App

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
For those of you waiting for the OTA -

I really encourage you to learn to flash the factory image with fastboot. This is not the last time an updated factory image is going to be available before the ota. Do you really want to wait the extra few weeks every time? Trust me - you cannot screw up a Nexus with fastboot. You can pretty much always do a complete wipe and flash a factory image if you get desperate. And then you will also be unlocking the world of custom roms for yourself if you ever decide to go that route (for example, the current Nexus 5 port actually seems better to me than the N4 4.4 factory image with home.apk).

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm a Nexus owner, I'm a Nexus owner because I wanted immediate updates from Google, and I'm frustrated that I've been ignored by Google.

See my previous post about flashnig the factory image - if you want immediate updates, you're almost always going to get the factory image before you get the ota. It's not hard to learn.

Secondly, are you really being "ignored" by google? The 4.4 ota would be out if there wasn't something keeping Google from releasing it. Google WANTS you to have their software. It is to their benefit. Certainly it seems like something screwy is going on in the Android division for this thing to be delayed, but it's not because they're ignoring Nexus 4 owners.

I really hope that didn't come off as insulting/aggressive. I'm just telling you, as an engineer who has experience rolling out software, Google WANTS that ota to be available even more than you do. Something else weird is going on and preventing it from happening. Putting the pieces together, it either has something to do with appeasing the carriers (notice that the otas are available for all the devices that don't have mobile data capabilities) or there is some weird timing issue with the launcher and it's availability on the play store.

DroidGuy1990

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I am just as upset as everybody that Google is taking there sweet time with rolling out Kitkat to nexus devices...But what you have to consider is this was the first time this has ever happened in android history...I have a nexus 5, nexus 10 & 7(2013)...I purchased these devices with the promise of Google releasing timely updates for at LEAST 18 months. But fact of the matter is Google & Android never really promised us updates next day. Yes it is assumed but never has it been guaranteed. We are so quick to get a mob formed and grab our pitch forks but this is Google and Android we are talking about...We are all on this site because we are Android Lovers, we love Android that we support there operating system every year buy purchasing a device with Android. This is first time in history Google has not released updates almost next day, we can not get up in arms. Being an Android Dev for 4 years it takes SO MUCH time and effort in creating and updating android. You can spend 3 months straight Coding android and not even scratch the surface..Google even did us all a favor by allowing GPE phones to be sold. They litteraly heard what android enthuasist wanted and deliver with the HTC One and S4 GPE phones. I can't be certain but I doubt Apple gives two craps what there customers are saying...my point is give google just a little slack.

Motogameruk

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I am just as upset as everybody that Google is taking there sweet time with rolling out Kitkat to nexus devices...But what you have to consider is this was the first time this has ever happened in android history...I have a nexus 5, nexus 10 & 7(2013)...I purchased these devices with the promise of Google releasing timely updates for at LEAST 18 months. But fact of the matter is Google & Android never really promised us updates next day. Yes it is assumed but never has it been guaranteed. We are so quick to get a mob formed and grab our pitch forks but this is Google and Android we are talking about...We are all on this site because we are Android Lovers, we love Android that we support there operating system every year buy purchasing a device with Android. This is first time in history Google has not released updates almost next day, we can not get up in arms. Being an Android Dev for 4 years it takes SO MUCH time and effort in creating and updating android. You can spend 3 months straight Coding android and not even scratch the surface..Google even did us all a favor by allowing GPE phones to be sold. They litteraly heard what android enthuasist wanted and deliver with the HTC One and S4 GPE phones. I can't be certain but I doubt Apple gives two craps what there customers are saying...my point is give google just a little slack.

I totally agree

posted via the power of Nexus 7!

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Seriously people?? I used to wait months for an upgrade thru my carrier. Now, with the Nexus, getting an upgrade within 2-3 weeks makes me ecstatic. Sorry, but I don't get all the whining and crying.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Neither do I, and that's exactly what it is. I think they should issue soothers and teething rings with the next update.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This is first time in history Google has not released updates almost next day, we can not get up in arms.

That's actually why people ARE up in arms. This is not the way the Nexus program works. Should work. Ever has worked, by your own admission. The excuse that I can flash the factory image is also not valid. It's not the same as an OTA, and it's not meant to be. AND the excuse that it's hard to code for and it takes time is not valid. Google makes the OS! If it's hard for them to code for, we're all screwed anyway. If I'm going to accept that they're having that much difficulty in getting this ready for a phone they designed and released for their own developer program, then I'm going to have to lose an awful lot of confidence in Google.

There's also the complete lack of communication. "A few weeks" and "soon" are meaningless. I think the main reason this causes so many of us to get upset is because we bought this phone because we trust and appreciate Google above and beyond the level of the average Android user. To think that Google is having so much of a hard time getting this ready that it's taken them weeks after the launch worries us. To think that they're possibly making these decisions (delayed launch, Nexus 5 exclusive components, etc) in an effort to sell more product worries us. And to think that Google is so incapable of communication that they've left their most loyal fans in the dark worries us.

It's not about the update, it's not about greed, it's not about being whiney or childish. It's about faith in a platform and a company and seeing that faith eroding away.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Something else weird is going on and preventing it from happening. Putting the pieces together, it either has something to do with appeasing the carriers (notice that the otas are available for all the devices that don't have mobile data capabilities) or there is some weird timing issue with the launcher and it's availability on the play store.

I don't buy that the carriers have anything to do with it. Motorola is rolling out 4.4 on Verizon's Moto X right now, for crying out loud. If Moto can do it, why not Google? They've never had issues rolling out Android to Nexus phones before (at least the unlocked ones, we won't talk about the Verizon GNex). I do agree that something weird is going on, but it seems intentional on Google's part. I'm not attributing malice to the delay, mind you, but it certainly feels like Google is purposefully holding the OTA back. It would be nice to know why, or at least an acknowledgement of issues as opposed to radio silence.

DroidGuy1990

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Just got off the phone with google... it is delayed for an unknown amount of time due to bugs...

The chances of a getting a rep on the phone that knows what the hell is really going on is about as slim as calling up LG and finding out why your update has been delayed...Infact Everytime I call I hear little kids running around in the background lol The fact of the matter is the update is not being pushed but I am sure it will be out within the next 2 weeks the absolute latest.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't buy that the carriers have anything to do with it. Motorola is rolling out 4.4 on Verizon's Moto X right now, for crying out loud. If Moto can do it, why not Google? They've never had issues rolling out Android to Nexus phones before (at least the unlocked ones, we won't talk about the Verizon GNex). I do agree that something weird is going on, but it seems intentional on Google's part. I'm not attributing malice to the delay, mind you, but it certainly feels like Google is purposefully holding the OTA back. It would be nice to know why, or at least an acknowledgement of issues as opposed to radio silence.

Yea, what the F is with THIS?!? How can the Moto X be the FIRST phone after the Nexus 5 to get KK 4.4?!? Makes no sense. Nexus phones should ALWAYS be first, then DE's, then whatever else is left. <SMH> FU Google!

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
There are two main reasons why rollouts take so long:
1. They don't want to bog down their servers.
2. If a critical bug is found, they can immediately stop rollout before many devices are affected.

There shouldn't be critical bugs to find! They should have tested their code. Also, the Nexus 10 couldn't bog down Google's servers even if everyone downloaded movies from Google Play at the same time. This thing didn't sell hardly at all.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
That's actually why people ARE up in arms. This is not the way the Nexus program works. Should work. Ever has worked, by your own admission. The excuse that I can flash the factory image is also not valid. It's not the same as an OTA, and it's not meant to be. AND the excuse that it's hard to code for and it takes time is not valid. Google makes the OS! If it's hard for them to code for, we're all screwed anyway. If I'm going to accept that they're having that much difficulty in getting this ready for a phone they designed and released for their own developer program, then I'm going to have to lose an awful lot of confidence in Google.

There's also the complete lack of communication. "A few weeks" and "soon" are meaningless. I think the main reason this causes so many of us to get upset is because we bought this phone because we trust and appreciate Google above and beyond the level of the average Android user. To think that Google is having so much of a hard time getting this ready that it's taken them weeks after the launch worries us. To think that they're possibly making these decisions (delayed launch, Nexus 5 exclusive components, etc) in an effort to sell more product worries us. And to think that Google is so incapable of communication that they've left their most loyal fans in the dark worries us.

It's not about the update, it's not about greed, it's not about being whiney or childish. It's about faith in a platform and a company and seeing that faith eroding away.

If it only takes a couple of weeks to erode your faith, I think your fortitude is a bigger problem.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1

Tuco Ramirez

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I think some of you people might want to ask Santa for a girlfriend for Christmas this year, so you can direct your energy elsewhere instead of getting all worked up over a mobile phone update.