Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jlav78
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google experience update

If you have gotten the newest Google now update you can get the Google experience launcher apk to work properly on your device including the Google now at the left, new app drawer and 'OK Google' voice command. This works on any jelly bean device with the Google now update, not just kit kat devices. The link is here: GoogleHome

I have it running on my nexus 4, 4.3.1 CyanogenMod and it works great so far

Posted via Android Central App on my nexus 4
    Thanked by:
    John-Smith likes this.

Default Re: Google experience update

No transparent bars until you get KitKat

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

Just installed this on my phone running official KitKat and it works flawlessly. Love the new icon sizes and layout of the launcher.

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

anyone else not liking how the music and power widgets are displayed on the new launcher?

Google experience update-2013-11-16-02.59.10.png

Will we get this launcher in the 4.4 update?

Posted via Android Central App on Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by mastrK13 View Post
    anyone else not liking how the music and power widgets are displayed on the new launcher?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-11-16 02.59.10.png 
Views:	150 
Size:	572.0 KB 
ID:	92115
    I noticed the power bar thing. I placed a 1x1 battery widget from HD Widgets next to it. I am hoping that it's a small bug with 4.3 using the 4.4 launcher and with official Kit Kat the power widget will work with the widened space/icon grid.

On the launcher:
    - I like that i can now add/remove home screens.
    - I'm not a fan of the very white background when you expand a folder on the home screen. It feels out of place not being very transparent. Perhaps I am too partial to holo. I also am unsure how I'll like the white signal bars at the tom. Seeing gray turn to blue lets me know when a new wifi signal is working and it's noticeable.
    - I like the bigger icons. It seems to use the space better
    - It's hard to get used to hitting 'home' and it bringing me to the far left. I was so used to being thrown to the middle of my home screens that it can be annoying having to scroll 3 or more pages to the right to get to things that used to be 2 to the right before. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually
    - sometimes when exiting an app it'll dump me back to the stock launcher even after i've set the GeL as my default launcher. I never used other launchers on a nexus device so maybe its a usual thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jlav78 View Post
    If you have gotten the newest Google now update you can get the Google experience launcher apk to work properly on your device including the Google now at the left, new app drawer and 'OK Google' voice command. This works on any jelly bean device with the Google now update, not just kit kat devices. The link is here: GoogleHome

I have it running on my nexus 4, 4.3.1 CyanogenMod and it works great so far

Hey where can we get the lock screen launcher because I really like the new one

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by 1210saad View Post
    Will we get this launcher in the 4.4 update?

Posted via Android Central App on Nexus 4
    No, the new Google search update will enable it though if you download the apk. on any jelly bean or kit kat device or if Google upload this to the play store

The lock screen and other icons can be emulated by using the android kit Kat CyanogenMod/theme chooser theme, it changes all icons to kit Kat style. My device looks like it's kit kat and has almost everything in kit Kat without even being on it yet

Last edited by Jlav78; 11-16-2013 at 03:06 AM.

ROM
    CM 9.1

Thank you, I was wondering why everything looked exactly the same when I updated from 4.3 to 4.4..

One thing that doesn't work anymore is trying to swipe up the home button to launch Google now when the phone is locked.

Quote Originally Posted by ysbg View Post
    One thing that doesn't work anymore is trying to swipe up the home button to launch Google now when the phone is locked.
    Works for me on 4.4.

Quote Originally Posted by bulletmark View Post
    Works for me on 4.4.
    OK thanks, I'm still on 4.3, waiting for OTA

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.4.4

Works great on a stock 4.3 N4...

I'm liking the icons, font, and widget-resize options a lot!

I'm not liking the Google Now off to the left of Home... it replicates an annoying iPhone functionality; it makes it so you have to swipe past multiple pages to the right to get to your stuff, since you have 'search' to the immediate left. I dunno about you guys, but sliding Home - Up wasn't that hard, and it allowed the left and right panes free for my 2nd-most used apps/widgets...

Hmmm....
    Last edited by Sicily1918; 11-22-2013 at 12:51 AM.
    Nexus4 - Stock 4.4.4
    Nexus7 - Stock 4.4.4

I've only installed files I got from the play store but want the full GEL. My question is, what steps do you have to take to install the launcher once you've downloaded it. Haven't done before and don't want to screw up my N7 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ray View Post
    I've only installed files I got from the play store but want the full GEL. My question is, what steps do you have to take to install the launcher once you've downloaded it. Haven't done before and don't want to screw up my N7 2013

You just install the .apk by tapping on it after you download it.

You can get it here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/58vqy92a06...GoogleHome.apk

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by: