Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Will1524
  • 1 Post By codejinchu
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What exactly will we be getting in the 4.4 update?

So like many of you I was thrilled to see the new nexus 5 release. Not because I myself was going to purchase the phone, but because I was excited to see what new features would soon be coming to my phone through android 4.4. After reading through a few articles I've come to the conclusion that I do not even want the 4.4 update anymore. Apparently we don't get the new GE launcher that features transparent bars, nor do we get the home screen Google now feature where we swipe to the left. We also don't get the hands free "OK Google" command when sitting on any home screen. So what exactly is left?

To my knowledge the only big improvement would be the new people app which pulls data from the web to help with caller ID. Which to some is useful, while to others isn't much of a big deal.

We also get the new hangouts app that FORCES you to integrate SMS with your Google conversations. There will be no more stock SMS texting app. What the hell....? The worst thing about this is that there is no way to link Google contacts with standard on phone contacts. For example, you'll be forced to have two threads from the same exact person. One being from text messages and one being from Google convos. That just seems pointless.

Google is finally getting to the point where they are going to really try to push their newer nexus in the form of not supporting features with the older version.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    Krolt likes this.

Default Re: What exactly will we be getting in the 4.4 update?

Yeh I am concerned about that. I working on moving entirely over to Android, but with that Google Plays nice. I had an iPhone that didn't get siri, that wasn't nice, but that's apple, they play hard ball for sales. With iOS 7 we got everything in the 4s except airdrop, so maybe Apple is changing in more ways. I hope Google change for the worse,

Tapatalking on the N7....

ROM
    Bobz JB

When I flashed the factory image, I was given the option to use hangouts or messaging for handling SMS.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieWT View Post
    When I flashed the factory image, I was given the option to use hangouts or messaging for handling SMS.
    Correct. As am I. Nobody is forced to use Hangouts for SMS. Also, anybody that wants the new launcher can install it. It just doesn't come already integrated. With 4.4 I'm also getting a smoother experience and faster WiFi. Well worth the update. I'm just not liking the aosp browser not functioning well on 4.4, but at least Chrome is running better. I'm sure it is just a matter of time before a dev gives us a good working aosp browser.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I can't see any reason anything except maybe the "okay Google" is missing other than to get non rooters to upgrade the phone, I figured Google put the phones in cheap to make money of play etc and get more Android market share.
    Guess I was wrong.

Just sideload the Nexus 5 GE launcher? It works perfectly and then you have everything seen on the Nexus 5.

Quote Originally Posted by ottscay View Post
    Just sideload the Nexus 5 GE launcher? It works perfectly and then you have everything seen on the Nexus 5.
    Ya I'm going to do that if they ever release the update. I have the apk saved.

Posted via Android Central App on Nexus 4

I have installed 4.4 on my N4 and sideloaded the GEL. It looks fantastic, same as my N5. On the N4 you can select whether you want SMS to be integrated into the Hangouts app, or kept separate in the Messaging app. You don't get this choice on the N5, it's integrated into Hangouts and that is it(!).

Yeah with the N5 launcher installed you get everything, including transparent nav bars and hot word search on the Horne screen (OK, Google) if you've got your language as US. I used it for a few hours then switched back to Nova, it takes away more convenience than it adds.

Posted via Android Central App

Man I wish they release the update already, I'm checking for updates every 5 min lol

Quote Originally Posted by 1210saad View Post
    Man I wish they release the update already, I'm checking for updates every 5 min lol

So they haven't released OTA for n4? The n7 section is quite disappointment. Not many people have got the OTA.

Quote Originally Posted by 4ringsa6 View Post
    So they haven't released OTA for n4? The n7 section is quite disappointment. Not many people have got the OTA.

No they haven't release the update yet. They haven't said anything about it on Google+ either. On the bottom of
    http://www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4/
    It says kitkat is only available for the nexus 5.

It says items marked with * are for n5 only. Not all of kitkat. Look at the there's a * at say "ok google" paragraph

It will come soon just gotta be patient. Though if you want to take it your own hands just update it manually by installing the factory image of KitKat krt160 from Google. Not to hard if you go to the forums or look at YouTube.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    TomRubin likes this.

here is a detailed version of what KitKat brings to Nexus. Its for developers but its easy for noobs too

Android KitKat | Android Developers
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by 4ringsa6 View Post
    It says items marked with * are for n5 only. Not all of kitkat. Look at the there's a * at say "ok google" paragraph

O okay nvm then, my bad lol. But still they haven't released it . I mean I'm checking for updates every 5 min lol and it says its up to date. I tried clearing the framework data but nothing here yet. Maybe because I'm in Canada.

[Quote/] Maybe because I'm in Canada.

Posted via Android Central App on Nexus 4[/QUOTE]

Has nothing to do with location, it just hasn't been released as an OTA yet.

Quote Originally Posted by frenziedfemale View Post
    [Quote/] Maybe because I'm in Canada.

Has nothing to do with location, it just hasn't been released as an OTA yet.
    Yeah no OTA for N4 yet, but you can upgrade using the factory image with no data loss if you know what you're doing (or enjoy blind experimentation lol).

However, I still don't have the OTA on N7(2012) yet in the UK, so location may (or may not) be a factor.

Please refer to this in the future: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androi...PI_level_19.29
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,871 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Not sure why all of this has gone mostly uncorrected, but 4.4 will bring the transparent notification and navigation bars IF you use the GEL or another launcher that supports it (Nova Launcher does). The update is available here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images (instructions are on the same page). "Ok Google" does work from the Home Screen or in Google Now, with the screen on. Thanks for the couple of people putting good information out there.

Its started..