*Updated* How to re-enable Tethering on KitKat. (New method on T-Mobile without root.)

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: Defunct: How to re-enable Tethering on KitKat. (Working again for 4.4.2)

Someguy, who is your carrier?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Defunct: How to re-enable Tethering on KitKat. (Working again for 4.4.2 [T-Mobile])

I use PDANet+ to tether my phone to my laptop, and to tether the phone to my Nexus 7 tablet. All was well until the tablet upgraded to KitKat. Then it just stopped working. I know it's the upgrade on the Tablet side (Phone still at JB), because I can still tether to the PC from the JB phone. I sent a note to PDANet+ support and they said it's a known issue caused by a bug in the Android
4.4 system. It causes apps to fail to recognize the network connection even though it is there. Google has promised to fix this issue in future updates unfortunately we do not know when.

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Defunct: How to re-enable Tethering on KitKat. (Working again for 4.4.2 [T-Mobile])

I was getting ready to wipe my N4 - unlock bootloader, flash 4.4, reinstall everything, and apply the fix from this thread (that's editing settings.db). With that in mind I started meditating, stretching, dieting, flew to Nepal and back - whole nine yards. ;) And then comes the 4.4.2 update, and I read that tethering works. So I updated, turned hotspot on, and it works again like nothing happened! Lovely! :)

ymmy

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: TIPS: How to re-enable Tethering on KitKat. *updated*

Wireless tethering does not work on my no root 4,4,2 stock Nexus 4 and tmob $30 5gb plan. For some strange reason I can do Google search but when i click on searched results link in the browser or enter website Url into browser field - nothing works. It was Ok in JB prior upgrade to KK. Changing user agent in browser does not make any difference either.

PhoenixMike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

Strange. Tethering was working fine after I did the manual fix and just the other day it stopped.
I can't open web pages but can connect to the PlayStation Network just fine (something I couldn't do until tethering was fixed).
I'm basically unable to do anything but sign into PSN.
I'm on 4.4.2 and even tried the LTE radio with tethering fix.

UPDATE:
The "settings" file was corrupt. Had to redo it. Not sure what caused it to get corrupt in the first place but all is good now.

Last edited:

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Strange. Tethering was working fine after I did the manual fix and just the other day it stopped.
I can't open web pages but can connect to the PlayStation Network just fine (something I couldn't do until tethering was fixed).
I'm basically unable to do anything but sign into PSN.
I'm on 4.4.2 and even tried the LTE radio with tethering fix. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
Try this version [4.4.1-4.4.2][12/13][v1.31] Nexus 4 LTE and LTE tethering/hotspot fix - xda-developers

sandiegan79

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site

Wireless tethering does not work on my no root 4,4,2 stock Nexus 4 and tmob $30 5gb plan. For some strange reason I can do Google search but when i click on searched results link in the browser or enter website Url into browser field - nothing works. It was Ok in JB prior upgrade to KK. Changing user agent in browser does not make any difference either.

I have this exact same problem with TMO $30 plan and N4. T-Mobile = weak. I only show 2mb used of the 100mb tethering cap. I don't get why I cannot access any non-Google sites via the tether. I am also on 4.4.2.

Last edited:

ymmy

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

I have this exact same problem with TMO $30 plan and N4. T-Mobile = weak. I only show 2mb used of the 100mb tethering cap. I don't get why I cannot access any non-Google sites via the tether. I am also on 4.4.2.
I did some more testing and found that all secured https websites work and unsecured http do not. That will explain why google search would work.., because google search added encryption layer of SSL to protect their traffic. Same will be true for all other websites..,for instance https://yahoo.com will work and http://yahoo.com will not.

Christopher Clarry

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

I have both the 2012 and 2013 Nexus 7. I tether from my ZTE N850 ICS by Public Mobile to my PC Windows and to the tablets with no issues. The update to 4.4 killed all bluetooth and wifi tethering on my Nexus 7 Tablets from the ZTE N850. In the end I was able to root, ADB etc and apply the older ICS image on both the Nexus's and wifi and bluetooth was back to normal. So if someone is on public mobile and that has tried the 4.4.2 version and can connect again, please let me (us) know...

chris9000

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site

So what's the verdict? Do the opening post's fixes work? Noticed the thread title starting with "defunct."

cegarbage

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

I have been using the method suggested successfully for months (tether_dun_required), but today it stopped working. Anyone else have problems tethering today.?

supurman182

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

Hey guys I did the easy method and it worked but had to do a user agent extension to use on chrome because the tmo hotspot block page would pop up. So far so good but i cant seem to get my hotspot to work with my ps3. When i connect my ps3 to my nexus 5 hotspot i get a "internet connection failed" and if i bring up the web broswer on the ps3 it shows the stupid hotspot black page. Any advice

rwb0376

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I am on 4.4.2 rooted and I did every step and it still won't work. Wifi tether goes on, but none of my devices can see the network at all.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

I am able to tether with my N4 and I'm not rooted. I'm only tethering other mobile devices (tablet, iPod Touch) and haven't tried to tether on my netbook. I'm on ST-AT&T.

jose Kenobi

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

Hello on this option
. Make sure you use the correct APN. If you have T-Mobile US, use the "fast.t-mobile.com" APN with IPv4, since tether isn't working with IPv6 yet.
on my nexus 5 I wen to vpn options but I only see PPTP ,,L2TP/IPsec psk ...L2TP/IPsec RSA ,, IPSEC XAUTH PSK ,,, IPSEC XAUTH RSA IPsec HYBRID RSA witch do I choose? thanks

SkullFunker

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Sprint note 3 with kitkat. I seem to be having an issue when opening settings.db.... I get an error with SQLite saying "unable to open database file code 14".. has anyone else had this issue or know how to fix ?

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app

ss2pheonix

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I cannot get any method to work on my moto x unlocked GSM on tmobile $30 prepaid plan. I have tried adding dun to the apn, deleting the pcweb apn, and adding tether_dun_required = 0 to the global settings db and I cannot get a single one to work. does anyone else have this problem? or know what I am doing wrong?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney