*Updated* How to re-enable Tethering on KitKat. (New method on T-Mobile without root.)

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: TIPS: How to re-enable Tethering on KitKat.

My Nexus 7 is currently tethered to my colleague's N4 (running 4.4) on T-Mobile without issue.

I am not sure what the difference is, could it be he purchased his from Google directly as opposed to T-Mobile?

Thought I do know that others here on this forum and elsewhere are reporting tethering issues since the KitKat update if they have T-Mobile as their carrier.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

It depends on the T-Mobile plan you have. I have been told that the $30 plan has tethering disabled. Any plan that does include tethering should not have it disabled.

Obiwan#AC

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

If you want to use a free SQLite editor that accepts a direct SQL statement, you can use the following command after navigating to settings.db and global:

INSERT INTO global (name,value) VALUES ('tether_dun_required','0');

SubjectBeef

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site

I haven't read about anyone using AT&T services being affected by this, only T-Mo.
I can confirm that this affects AT&T as well. I don't have a tethering plan, but my hotspot worked fine in JB. After the Kit Kat upgrade, tethering no longer works. I hate Google for doing this. I'll be going back to JB.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

Which AT&T plan are you on? I'm on ST-AT&T. Does anyone know for sure if this is disabled for my plan? I just saw that the update finally hit my phone, but I don't want to update until I'm sure. Again, I don't tether to a computer (well, rarely), but mainly mobile devices like my tablet and my kids' iPod and N4.

I can confirm that this affects AT&T as well. I don't have a tethering plan, but my hotspot worked fine in JB. After the Kit Kat upgrade, tethering no longer works. I hate Google for doing this. I'll be going back to JB.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I am on at&t (Grandfathered Unlimited Plan) and tested tethering my N4 (running 4.4) to both my N7 (2013) and my laptop. Both devices connected without issue and each was able to surf the Web, etc.

I have no idea why some are having issues and others like myself are not, maybe it is an issue with KitKat?

Generally issues like this are tough to pinpoint as it seems there is no rhyme or reason for the issue to occur.

Dan

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site

It depends on the T-Mobile plan you have. I have been told that the $30 plan has tethering disabled. Any plan that does include tethering should not have it disabled.

Yea, I read the AC article that someone linked about the $30 plan now "appearing", but I still don't see it on TMo usage app, so not sure how/if I ever will get it enabled??

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site

As far as I understand things from my colleague, he is on an extremely old T-Mobile plan which includes Unlimited Data, but not any sort of tethering.

Dan

SubjectBeef

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site

Which AT&T plan are you on? I'm on ST-AT&T. Does anyone know for sure if this is disabled for my plan? I just saw that the update finally hit my phone, but I don't want to update until I'm sure. Again, I don't tether to a computer (well, rarely), but mainly mobile devices like my tablet and my kids' iPod and N4.
I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan w/o tethering provided by my work. Can't give you more details since I don't have access to the account.

All I know is that tethering worked fine in JB. After KitKat, no go. :(

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

No, the $30 plan allows tethering, though I'm not sure how much. I believe there was an AC article on it.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site

I wonder why some are having issues with various carriers and some are not.

I know that I configured the APN myself and left a bunch of stuff out like proxy servers.

Dan

thecavemankevin

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Well crap, i was getting ready to apply 4.4 via OTA to my N4. Now i'm not so sure. I have grandfather unlimited data on my AT&T plan and I use tether a ton (don't have tether on my plan). Usually its for little stuff, but I just had a road trip to and from disney earlier this month. Turned tether on the entire time we were in the car (about 13 hours). between the wife's iphone, kids kindles and ipad, i used almost 15gb (13.12 for tethering) :)

So, not sure that i'm going to jump on kitkat now... I'm nervous to apply this

Screenshot_2013-11-27-01-10-49.png

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

No, the $30 plan allows tethering, though I'm not sure how much. I believe there was an AC article on it.

I can't tether on any phone other than the Nexus 4 using the $30 100 minute 5GB data plan. On my iPhone, trying to tether on that plan would tell me to contact T-Mobile. When I used my $70 unlimited sim, tethering worked no matter what phone I used so no, tethering is not allowed on the $30 plan.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

I just contacted T-Mobile and they changed my plan to give me tethering at no additional charge.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

I just got the KK OTA, but I won't be installing it as long as it disables tethering on TMO's $30 plan.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

I had the unlimited $20 plan with no tethering. After it got disabled, I contacted them and they gave me the unlimited plan with 2.5g tethering for $20, so you should contact them CoMo and they will fix it for you.

SubjectBeef

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site

Well crap, i was getting ready to apply 4.4 via OTA to my N4. Now i'm not so sure. I have grandfather unlimited data on my AT&T plan and I use tether a ton (don't have tether on my plan). Usually its for little stuff, but I just had a road trip to and from disney earlier this month. Turned tether on the entire time we were in the car (about 13 hours). between the wife's iphone, kids kindles and ipad, i used almost 15gb (13.12 for tethering) :)

So, not sure that i'm going to jump on kitkat now... I'm nervous to apply this

View attachment 94129
DON"T DO IT! I wish to god I hadn't. KitKat isn't worth it. Dammit Google. If it isn't broke don't "fix" it.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

If TMO is willing to turn tethering back on for customers who request it, then it sounds as if KK gives operators more control over tethering. In other words, with 4.3 and earlier, N4 owners always had the option of using tethering, and it was up to the carrier to use network-side tools to detect tethering. With KK, N4 owners no longer have the option of using tethering unless their operator activates it.

Is that an accurate way of describing the situation? It's not a minor issue because it affects one of the N4's benefits: freedom from carrier-imposed firmware/software/OS limitations and bloatware.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

yes, that is accurate CoMo. The tethering is a default function of Android but most carriers did not allow vanilla ROMs to be installed on phones because they wanted more control. T-Mobile was one of the very few that allowed the N4 with the vanilla ROM, so there were no restrictions.

However, with KitKat, there is no additional bloatware involved to cause the restriction. When I turned on tethering and tried to access the internet with my tablet, I got a T-Mobile webpage telling me I had to enable tethering on my account. If you have ever accessed a wifi network at a coffee shop, you will understand that kind of second authentication.

Why would Google change the firmware to allow that restriction? Maybe it is to encourage carriers to use stock ROMs instead of their own crap so Google can push updates to more devices with fewer restrictions.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

I just chatted with TMO. Here's what they said:

Nemia M: Upon checking, you could do hotspot on your account but we would need to add a hotspot feature for $15 monthly.
Nemia M: The rate plan probably that they are talking about are under our postpaid. In which we provide a 500mb of data for free and capability to share it.

So I'm sticking with 4.3 indefinitely. I rarely use tethering, but I like the peace of mind knowing that it's there in a pinch. Losing that option is a deal breaker.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

However, with KitKat, there is no additional bloatware involved to cause the restriction.

Thanks. By bloatware, I meant UI overlays such as Sense and pre-loaded, uninstallable apps rather than feature locks. Bloatware on the original EVO was a major reason why I got the N4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC