Looking for some advisement in buying a phone

sammuja

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking to buy a new phone, I waited for Nexus 5 and I really like it, but I'm afraid it's going to be a little expensive since I'm a college student. I've always liked Nexus 4,but never had one, right now it's 100 euros($135 dollars) less expensive. I think I should be okay with 8gb, since I dont really clogg my phone with games and videos. I guess I'm between two devices right now, N4 and Xperia V. I'm a little concerned about the glass back of N4, since I dont want a case for it, Xperia V is stronger with a couple of cool things like water resistance. Also has better camera allegedly. Downsides are that the screen is smaller, no stock android and less processing power. They are both priced the same. Which one would be a smarter choice.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like you really want the Nexus 4, and the only thing holding you back is the glass back? That's a legitimate concern. If you are careful you'll not have to worry about breaking/cracking the back. If you want to be extra cautious, buy a case (thin one) and use that to protect the device. You might not want to have a case right now, but sometimes having one provides a little peace of mind.

Let us know what you decide.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Out of the two the nexus 4, my back is fine after a year, if you're relatively careful it shouldn't be a problem {though luck is of course a factor). if you want close to stock and price is a big factor it could be worth considering a Moto G. Hard to beat for the cash.

Posted via Android Central App

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
If my n4 died I would be looking at a replacement used n4 or a moto g. The price of the moto g is just too good.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
If you leave the screen saver on the back of the phone and use a case theres no real worry about the back of the phone. Go with a 16g b/c with the OS on there you end up with little storage. YMMV

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Never go cheap on the hardware; you will regret it. I've known people who hate what they think is the Android platform because they're using a phone that is either underpowered or has hardware issues. A former coworker comes to mind. He said he hated his phone and couldn't understand why so many people thought Android was so awesome when it ran like such crap. So I pulled out my N4 and had him play around with it, and he was completely floored at the difference.

So, just be cautious about what hardware you're buying.

sammuja

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I've bought a crappy smartphone before, no chance of that happening again, I think I'm gonna go with N4, provided I still get one, I checked the carrier's website, there arent any left in the city where I live, but maybe they will send one. Online stock is empty also. I'll know better tomorrow.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I was phone/plan shopping just a month ago and was considering the Sony phone due to water resistance and the supposedly better camera. I bought a used n4 and went with T-Mobile and couldn't be happier. Most manufacturers that skin Android with their custom launcher and bloatware take way too long to get updates pushed out. If Samsung and HTC take more than 6 months to roll out updates, how long will it take Sony (assuming that they'll even bother with an update)? I hate cases and covers on my phone (I like my phones like I like my women, naked!). I have not had any issues with the glass back at all. I did see a recent article on AC about a wood back replacement option that looks pretty cool. So, there are options. My opinion is that vanilla Android is far better than any of the manufacturer's skinned versions. Sony is not a big enough player in the smart phone market for me to put up big money on a device with unknown support and longevity.

Posted via Android Central App

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
If you don't have a lot to spend, Nexus is the perfect choice. Sony doesn't have very good update records (take it from an Xperia Play owner). Nexus devices are the only full proof method of getting good updates (and now Motorola too it seems). The Nexus 4 is a year old, but it will receive update for about another year, and there are lots of developers that can port newer version to the device once Google stopped updating it as well. The Nexus 4 with KitKat runs very fast so you don't have to worry about performance either. Just one important thing is if you buy it, make you have a return period or absolutely sure its fully functional. It seems the Nexus 4 can have its share of niggling issues.

As for durability, it doesn't matter what phone you have now, any large touchscreen devices today, if you drop them they will break so I would buy protection regardless. I use this XtremeGuard screen protector with a bumper, which is adequate to protect it from normal drops. Ringke Fusion case is popular option too while keeping the glitter back look. If you want real good protection you have to use a case with front tempered glass screen protector, but that's probably more expensive than you intended.

You can also take a look at the Moto G which have very good specs and very affordable, however its camera is not so good.

Last edited:

sammuja

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Moto G is available in January, at best, we didnt even get Moto X, so it may not come at all. I went for Nexus 4 today, they told me only white is available at another store, asked them to figure out if they could order a black one or transfer it from another city and call me if they know. After that I went to another place to take a look at white Nexus, which didn't look as good as black but I was still about to buy it, then got the call that I would get a black one in a couple of days. So in conclusion I went with N4 8gb, and should get it within a few days. I'm not gonna put a case on it tho, I just like the bare look of a sleek and elegant cellphone too much. Thank you all for your input.