Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NexusGirlX
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default If it ain't broke...

Hey friends,
    So, I got that 4.4 notice in my N4, System update downloaded... Touch to install. Then I headed for the forums, this one and the Android community in G+. I've been trying to learn what the KitKat benefits are, and what the hangups are.

It's like this, I'm not one who likes to talk to his phone, and I do like to write and tap. Do I really have to update the OS in the N4? I love the phone and it works very well with OS 4.3. Let's hear. Thanks!

Default Re: If it ain't broke...

No, of course, you don't have to update...it's YOUR phone...

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts

Yeah, you don't have to update it. Do what you want.

The only benefits of the 4.4 update is that the phone will run smoother and faster and it will update to the new Smart Dialer. Other than that....nothing much - not even new wallpapers.

You do get new wallpapers

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by KTKareen View Post
    You do get new wallpapers
    Only if you sideload it or install GEL.

I don't think it's worth it yet. Flash isn't working like it did with 4.3 and it disables tethering for many carrier plans if they do not include tethering. I was reading over the bugs thread and I don't really want to deal with those problems right now.

There is nothing wrong with ignoring the update. I don't like that it automatically downloads but at least it takes only 230MB of space or so.
    CoMoNexus likes this.

Global Posts
    22,194 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by NexusGirlX View Post
    I don't think it's worth it yet. Flash isn't working like it did with 4.3 and it disables tethering for many carrier plans if they do not include tethering. I was reading over the bugs thread and I don't really want to deal with those problems right now.

There is nothing wrong with ignoring the update. I don't like that it automatically downloads but at least it takes only 230MB of space or so.
    I think 4.4 totally abandons flash.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

ROM
    Lollipop 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_47 View Post
    Hey friends,
    So, I got that 4.4 notice in my N4, System update downloaded... Touch to install. Then I headed for the forums, this one and the Android community in G+. I've been trying to learn what the KitKat benefits are, and what the hangups are.

It's like this, I'm not one who likes to talk to his phone, and I do like to write and tap. Do I really have to update the OS in the N4? I love the phone and it works very well with OS 4.3. Let's hear. Thanks!
    Like others have said you do not need to update. If you want to get rid of the notification, long press on it, select App Info, and uncheck show notifications. It should vanish and trouble you no more. If you decide you want to update later, you can always go into your about phone settings and check for an update.
    Thanked by:

I found kit Kat to be underwhelming to be honest. Wasn't worth all the hype. I especially don't like the new icons. They cheapen the look of the phone. IMHO.

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Tuco Ramirez View Post
    I found kit Kat to be underwhelming to be honest. Wasn't worth all the hype. I especially don't like the new icons. They cheapen the look of the phone. IMHO.
    Yeah, I agree. I actually removed the GEL and went back to the N4 launcher...

The under-the-hood stuff seems to be OK so far, and my N72012 is running much smoother than with 4.3 (don't see much difference on the N4)... also, I actually like the new system sounds, but I have to admit to missing Holo blue...
    Nexus4 - Stock 5.0.1
    Nexus7 - Stock 5.0.1
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
    Like others have said you do not need to update. If you want to get rid of the notification, long press on it, select App Info, and uncheck show notifications. It should vanish and trouble you no more. If you decide you want to update later, you can always go into your about phone settings and check for an update.
    Thanks for your input. I'm taking my time with the KitKat update. How do I get rid of the OS update in the notification bar? I tried a long press, and nothing happened. Thanks...

ROM
    Lollipop 5.0

Thanks for your input. I'm taking my time with the KitKat update. How do I get rid of the OS update in the notification bar? I tried a long press, and nothing happened. Thanks...
    When you pull the notification shade down and long press on it, does it not pop up with a little "app info" option? I can't check this myself as I've already updated both my devices, but I could have sworn it did.

I got rid of the notification by long pressing on the kitkat update in the notification bar. When you long press, select get info. When the window opens, uncheck the notifications box. Ignore the warning, app notifications will still work.
    Thanked by 2:

Can you downgrade back to 4.3 from Kitkat? How? Would that restore ability to tether which i currently enjoy?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

You can also get rid of it by going to Settings/apps/all/Google Services Framework and unchecking the Show Notifications box.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Lollipop 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Valente View Post
    Can you downgrade back to 4.3 from Kitkat? How? Would that restore ability to tether which i currently enjoy?

Posted via Android Central App
    Yes. Just follow this guide: [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Factory Image Restore

When you pull the notification shade down and long press on it, does it not pop up with a little "app info" option? I can't check this myself as I've already updated both my devices, but I could have sworn it did.
    Yes it does.

I might downgrade. I'm underwhelmed and loathe how the stock apps are so white. I also lost the old version of Google maps which they f***ked up months ago by removing the zoom buttons. I had disabled auto update of apps at that point and was manually updating around Google maps to hold onto the old version. Sigh, should have thought before i installed kitkat.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Lollipop 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by dobiegillis View Post
    Yes it does.

I might downgrade. I'm underwhelmed and loathe how the stock apps are so white. I also lost the old version of Google maps which they f***ked up months ago by removing the zoom buttons. I had disabled auto update of apps at that point and was manually updating around Google maps to hold onto the old version. Sigh, should have thought before i installed kitkat.

I think you can uninstall the Maps update using the Play Store. Load up Maps in the Play Store on your phone and check, should be a button reading "Uninstall Update" or similar.

I think you can uninstall the Maps update using the Play Store. Load up Maps in the Play Store on your phone and check, should be a button reading "Uninstall Update" or similar.
    No I'm pretty sure maps is part of the kitkat update as a system app. When I go to play my only option is to update it.

ROM
    Lollipop 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by dobiegillis View Post
    No I'm pretty sure maps is part of the kitkat update as a system app. When I go to play my only option is to update it.

Ah well, worth a shot. On the upside Google is constantly tinkering with Maps, hopefully they'll bring back the features you loved.