[fixed, updated and kept all data] How to update 4.4.3 with root/unlock/TWRP

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Updated June 11th, 2014 for 4.4.3

Hi,

I have the 4.4 update pending and ready to install in my 4.3 Nexus4. Back when I was on 4.2 and updated to 4.3, I had the common issue as many people, stuck on the boot animation forever. It was a major pain in the *** to recover my data and upgrade without having to factory reset/lose data etc (I managed in the end but don't wanna risk it again).

Is there any way I can proceed to 4.4 without losing anything and having the update just work normally?

(as the title says, my phone is rooted, unlocked and I have TWRP)

UPDATE:

Finally proceeded with the update, with the expected results: bricked device. After reboot and installing through TWRP, booting up showed me only a blank screen. Steps to fix it, mostly as described here from 4.2 to 4.3:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...fail-even-after-hard-reset-3.html#post2964040
Install latest TWRP
Download official 4.4.3 image https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#occamktu84l
Enter TWRP, wipe Dalvik cache, fix permissions. After this you get at least the loading animation, but stuck there forever.

Fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-mako-makoz30d.img
Fastboot reboot-bootloader

Fastboot flash radio radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1701.02.img

Unpack occam-ktu84l

Fastboot flash boot boot.img

Fastboot flash system system.img

Enter TWRP, wipe dalvik cache, fix permissions, reboot. Here it will ask if you want to install SuperSU, say yes (i had this in the root folder.. from the previous time, I guess TWRP detected it.. idk, you need to re-root the device after this major OS update).

After this, I get the new loading animation, then it asks me for encryption password (very good sign), then I get Update Android.. takes a couple minutes, then I'm back in the OS to enter my PIN and everything is there, all my data is there, all installed apps with their data are all there, home screen as before with all the shortcuts etc.. as if the update never failed.

~
V5xpNdV.png

Last edited:

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to update 4.4 with root/unlock/TWRP

You probably will likely get a softbrick if you apply the OTA through TWRP, unless you never modified your system, which you did with root.

You can flash an unofficial stock 4.4 rom using TWRP, it's pretty much identical to stock: [ROM] [KitKat][KRT16S] Nexus 4 4.4 stock (deodexed, rooted, busybox) - xda-developers (if you intend to use ART, get the odexed version).

Or you can flash factory image, http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...3923-guide-nexus-4-factory-image-restore.html,
but to avoid wiping your datas, do not use the command "fastboot erase userdata" and instead of "fastboot -w update image.zip", leave out the "-w" which means wipe.

Make a backup of your device and copy it to your PC first incase anything goes wrong.

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Is there no way to.. say.. "unroot/re-lock" etc the device as if it was never modified? and then re-do it after the update?

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

As long as your phone is still on stock rom with stock kernel the update should go through fine. I had TWRP and the OTA worked fine, all that I lost was root and recovery which takes about 2 seconds to put back on.

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

UPDATE:

Finally proceeded with the update, with the expected results: bricked device. After reboot and installing through TWRP, booting up showed me only a blank screen. Steps to fix it, mostly as described here from 4.2 to 4.3:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...fail-even-after-hard-reset-3.html#post2964040
Install latest TWRP
Download official 4.4 image https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images?hl=ja#occamkrt16s
Enter TWRP, wipe Dalvik cache, fix permissions. After this you get at least the loading animation, but stuck there forever.

Fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-mako-makoz20i

Fastboot flash radio radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1700.84

Unpack image-occam-krt16s.zip

Fastboot flash boot boot.img

Fastboot flash system system.img

Enter TWRP, wipe dalvik cache, fix permissions, reboot. Here it will ask if you want to install SuperSU, say yes (i had this in the root folder.. from the previous time, I guess TWRP detected it.. idk, you need to re-root the device after this major OS update).

After this, I get the new loading animation, then it asks me for encryption password (very good sign), then I get Update Android.. takes a couple minutes, then I'm back in the OS to enter my PIN and everything is there, all my data is there, all installed apps with their data are all there, home screen as before with all the shortcuts etc.. as if the update never failed.

~

View attachment 95944

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay