GAPPS force-closing constantly after 4.4 KitKat update.

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm not exactly an Android novice, but I'm in a rut and can't seem to find a similar issue anywhere on the web in any of my regular spots. I received the OTA upgrade on my Nexus 4 to KitKat (from 4.3). It installed version KRT16S (discovered this from recovery mode). My phone is not rooted, the bootloader is locked.

When I first booted it normally, I got the following error immediately: "Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped." I clicked OK. It reappeared. Over and over. I couldn't use the interface at all. I assumed this might have had something to do with my cheeky attempt at forcing the upgrade early when a few days prior I had force stopped/cleared data for Google Services Framework. That didn't work, and the update came eventually, but with this error.

So I went into recovery mode and wiped data, performed factory reset, and wiped the cache partition. Maybe I jumped the gun because when I restarted the device, I was unable to get past the Welcome dialogue without the same error popping up over and over and over again, making it almost impossible to access any real interface. So I'm stuck without the phone able to enter USB debugging mode, and adb can't find it, and it's all a mess.

What can I do? I've actually tried everything I can think of...

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Re: kitkat upgrade made my phone unusable--not bricked?

I'm aware of my data being lost. everything is backed up anyway. however I can't figure out how to root or unlock the bootloader with wug's toolkit without turning on USB debugging mode. I can't even access the settings on the phone. any ideas?

Posted via Android Central App

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: kitkat upgrade made my phone unusable--not bricked?

Select the "my phone is bricked/soft boot" option in wugs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
where can I find this option? I'm combing the software.. feeling a bit dumb.

edit: ah I found it in back to stock. sorry

new issue. it won't proceed on an unlocked bootloader. and I can't unlock it without USB debugging as far as I know..

edit: somehow after errors it claims to have unlocked the bootloader...

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
To get your phone recognize, you need to connect your phone in fastboot mode (the bootloader menu) and install the adb/fastboot driver.
You can try official google driver or Universal Naked Driver (which required disabling driver signature checking first if you use Windows 8):
Google USB Driver | Android Developers
[ADB/FB/APX Driver] Universal Naked Driver 0.73 - xda-developers

I suggest you just learn to flash using command line. You need to setup adb and fastboot. You can follow the guide I posted from my previous post. Or for a faster way, get the prepackaged adb/fastboot from here: [TOOL]Minimal ADB and Fastboot [7-18-13] - xda-developers

Then use this short guide to flash: [TUTORIAL] Nexus 4 update to 4.4 KitKat without installing custom recovery - xda-developers

Just need to make sure to extract the factory image file to the same folder where adb.exe/fastoot.exe are located. Then while the phone is connected and in fastboot mdoe, type "fastboot devices" to see if the computer recognize your device. The flashing process is very easy, most of the difficulties involves installing the driver and getting adb/fastboot to recognize your device.

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
To get your phone recognize, you need to connect your phone in fastboot mode (the bootloader menu) and install the adb/fastboot driver.
You can try official google driver or Universal Naked Driver (which required disabling driver signature checking first if you use Windows 8):
Google USB Driver | Android Developers
[ADB/FB/APX Driver] Universal Naked Driver 0.73 - xda-developers

I suggest you just learn to flash using command line. You need to setup adb and fastboot. You can follow the guide I posted from my previous post. Or for a faster way, get the prepackaged adb/fastboot from here: [TOOL]Minimal ADB and Fastboot [7-18-13] - xda-developers

Then use this short guide to flash: [TUTORIAL] Nexus 4 update to 4.4 KitKat without installing custom recovery - xda-developers

Just need to make sure to extract the factory image file to the same folder where adb.exe/fastoot.exe are located. Then while the phone is connected and in fastboot mdoe, type "fastboot devices" to see if the computer recognize your device. The flashing process is very easy, most of the difficulties involves installing the driver and getting adb/fastboot to recognize your device.

hey just saw this. I fixed it earlier by unlocking the bootloader in fastboot with wug.. it gave me an error saying it hadn't worked, but then it reported that the bootloader was unlocked... I flashed with the bricked option and everything is as smooth as butter. thanks for your help everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney