Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By abraham the grey
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default GAPPS force-closing constantly after 4.4 KitKat update.

    Hi all,

    I'm not exactly an Android novice, but I'm in a rut and can't seem to find a similar issue anywhere on the web in any of my regular spots. I received the OTA upgrade on my Nexus 4 to KitKat (from 4.3). It installed version KRT16S (discovered this from recovery mode). My phone is not rooted, the bootloader is locked.

    When I first booted it normally, I got the following error immediately: "Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped." I clicked OK. It reappeared. Over and over. I couldn't use the interface at all. I assumed this might have had something to do with my cheeky attempt at forcing the upgrade early when a few days prior I had force stopped/cleared data for Google Services Framework. That didn't work, and the update came eventually, but with this error.

    So I went into recovery mode and wiped data, performed factory reset, and wiped the cache partition. Maybe I jumped the gun because when I restarted the device, I was unable to get past the Welcome dialogue without the same error popping up over and over and over again, making it almost impossible to access any real interface. So I'm stuck without the phone able to enter USB debugging mode, and adb can't find it, and it's all a mess.

    What can I do? I've actually tried everything I can think of...
  2. #2  
    Citizen Coyote's Avatar

    Posts
    880 Posts
    ROM
    KK 4.4.2

    Default Re: kitkat upgrade made my phone unusable--not bricked?

    Try WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit. It should be able to help you recover from this.

  3. #3  

    Default Re: kitkat upgrade made my phone unusable--not bricked?

    Unfortunately all your data is lost, because factory reset using stock recovery or within the phone will wipe everything. You can either use the tool kit above or use this guide to flash kitkat: [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Factory Image Restore
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: kitkat upgrade made my phone unusable--not bricked?

    I'm aware of my data being lost. everything is backed up anyway. however I can't figure out how to root or unlock the bootloader with wug's toolkit without turning on USB debugging mode. I can't even access the settings on the phone. any ideas?

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #5  

    Default Re: kitkat upgrade made my phone unusable--not bricked?

    Select the "my phone is bricked/soft boot" option in wugs.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    Select the "my phone is bricked/soft boot" option in wugs.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    where can I find this option? I'm combing the software.. feeling a bit dumb.

    edit: ah I found it in back to stock. sorry

    Posted via Android Central App
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abraham the grey View Post
    where can I find this option? I'm combing the software.. feeling a bit dumb.

    edit: ah I found it in back to stock. sorry

    Posted via Android Central App
    new issue. it won't proceed on an unlocked bootloader. and I can't unlock it without USB debugging as far as I know..

    edit: somehow after errors it claims to have unlocked the bootloader...

    Posted via Android Central App
  8. #8  

    Default Re: GAPPS force-closing constantly after 4.4 KitKat update.

    To get your phone recognize, you need to connect your phone in fastboot mode (the bootloader menu) and install the adb/fastboot driver.
    You can try official google driver or Universal Naked Driver (which required disabling driver signature checking first if you use Windows 8):



    I suggest you just learn to flash using command line. You need to setup adb and fastboot. You can follow the guide I posted from my previous post. Or for a faster way, get the prepackaged adb/fastboot from here:

    Then use this short guide to flash:

    Just need to make sure to extract the factory image file to the same folder where adb.exe/fastoot.exe are located. Then while the phone is connected and in fastboot mdoe, type "fastboot devices" to see if the computer recognize your device. The flashing process is very easy, most of the difficulties involves installing the driver and getting adb/fastboot to recognize your device.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: GAPPS force-closing constantly after 4.4 KitKat update.

    Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    To get your phone recognize, you need to connect your phone in fastboot mode (the bootloader menu) and install the adb/fastboot driver.
    You can try official google driver or Universal Naked Driver (which required disabling driver signature checking first if you use Windows 8):



    I suggest you just learn to flash using command line. You need to setup adb and fastboot. You can follow the guide I posted from my previous post. Or for a faster way, get the prepackaged adb/fastboot from here:

    Then use this short guide to flash:

    Just need to make sure to extract the factory image file to the same folder where adb.exe/fastoot.exe are located. Then while the phone is connected and in fastboot mdoe, type "fastboot devices" to see if the computer recognize your device. The flashing process is very easy, most of the difficulties involves installing the driver and getting adb/fastboot to recognize your device.
    hey just saw this. I fixed it earlier by unlocking the bootloader in fastboot with wug.. it gave me an error saying it hadn't worked, but then it reported that the bootloader was unlocked... I flashed with the bricked option and everything is as smooth as butter. thanks for your help everyone!

    Posted via Android Central App
    Citizen Coyote likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. update 4.3 did anyone get their update for the note 2 yet
    By zaydabarber in forum T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-12-2013, 04:21 PM
  2. I can't update my HTC One Google Edition to 4.4, I use TWRP
    By aaka3207 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-09-2013, 04:26 PM
  3. 4.3 Update Options
    By SleepNSnooze in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2013, 05:55 PM
  4. 4.3 update?
    By Whitney Victorine in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-05-2013, 02:54 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2013, 06:59 PM

Posting Permissions

B