1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to get LTE on my Nexus 4?

I have Tmobile $30 prepaid plan

Can someone tell me how to get LTE speeds in my Nexus4?

I am not interested with faster speeds, allI want is lower ping like 2 digits.

Please help.

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: How to get LTE on my Nexus 4?

I was under the impression that the Nexus 4 didn't offer LTE and that that was because of lack of an LTE capable radio.
    Live long and prosper.

Just need to flash one of the hybrid radios. Root is NOT required. Download the file, put it on your phone, boot up in custom recovery and flash the zip.

Check to make sure you have LTE/GSM selected in the *#*#INFO#*#* menu, and check APN settings.

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Very nice.
    Live long and prosper.

Doesn't matter if root isn't required, you still have to go through a lengthy process.

Follow this guide to unlock your bootloader and install TWRP recovery to your phone:
    [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root

Then follow instruction here as posted above:

You can get HSPA21+ on the Nexus 4...21Mbps is still pretty good

Posted via Motorola Xoom tablet

Quote Originally Posted by korab84 View Post
    You can get HSPA21+ on the Nexus 4...21Mbps is still pretty good

Posted via Motorola Xoom tablet
    Well if you are on T-Mobile you can get DC-HSDPA 42Mbps.

I will say the speed difference between T-Mobile LTE and DC-HSDPA is substantial - I finally got around to flashing the radio a couple weeks ago and it was well worth it. My building penetration is also noticeably better, though I wouldn't count on that because the LTE frequency is still pretty high (but going from no service to 1 bar at my desk was a huge improvement for me).
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by baileycmatt View Post
    I will say the speed difference between T-Mobile LTE and DC-HSDPA is substantial - I finally got around to flashing the radio a couple weeks ago and it was well worth it. My building penetration is also noticeably better, though I wouldn't count on that because the LTE frequency is still pretty high (but going from no service to 1 bar at my desk was a huge improvement for me).
    I don't want to mess up my phone, so can someone please post the instructions step by step?

Quote Originally Posted by misterno123 View Post
    I don't want to mess up my phone, so can someone please post the instructions step by step?
    I've alerady did:
    Root the phone, install custom recovery: [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root

Then download the two zip files from here to the phone and flash it with custom recovery, then factory reset the phone:

If you're not comfortable with doing this, then it's not for you.

Getting LTE radio isn't bug proof either. The Nexus 4 hardware is not capable of making calls using LTE, so you have to set it to LTE/GSM mode, but I can't figure out why my N4 won't automatically drop to GSM mode when there is an incoming calls so they go to the voicemail instead. LTE eats more battery as well. This doesn't affect everyone however, but after trying different roms and radios and settings I haven't solve the issue for my device.
    Last edited by someguy01234; 12-06-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

How much faster is your battery draining than before you Flashed it to work with LTE?

It should drain less not more without LTE. But I can't answer that since it differ for each person, depending on the kernel, rom, how good the HSPA signal compared to the LTE signal for that person and how the phone setup is and usage pattern.

The bottom line is LTE for now tends to use up a little more battery.

You will be hard pressed to get double digits ping with T-Mobile LTE by the way. I get it in the low 100ms. But it is acceptable for online fps.

Don't know why I'm reading so many inconsistencies in this post. All you do is flash the radio, reboot, use the code that was posted earlier to set to LTE/GSM, and that's it. No factory reset needed. All I did was flash it and I'm golden. I actually get data in my school now whereas before I could hardly get a signal, if ever. Battery life is also far BETTER on data, not worse which I've seen posted.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DeadpoolJunior View Post
    Don't know why I'm reading so many inconsistencies in this post. All you do is flash the radio, reboot, use the code that was posted earlier to set to LTE/GSM, and that's it. No factory reset needed. All I did was flash it and I'm golden. I actually get data in my school now whereas before I could hardly get a signal, if ever. Battery life is also far BETTER on data, not worse which I've seen posted.

Stop making assumptions. It's better for you since you get strong LTE signal, this is not true for everyone, it differs for each individual and coverage in that area. You could set LTE/GSM in the Phone info's menu, but for some people it may have issues with not sticking on reboots, reverting back to 3G, which is why the person who made the hybrid radio himself specifically made the flash zip to change the build prop and specifically state to do factory reset or edit the Settings Storage's database file to make sure the settings stick.

1. Flash EnableNexus4LTE.zip to "enable" LTE in the build.prop
    2. Flash one of these Hybrid Modem
    3. Use these instructions or full wipe your ROM

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    Stop making assumptions. It's better for you since you get strong LTE signal, this is not true for everyone, it differs for each individual and coverage in that area. You could set LTE/GSM in the Phone info's menu, but for some people it may have issues with not sticking on reboots, reverting back to 3G, which is why the person who made the hybrid radio himself specifically made the flash zip to change the build prop and specifically state to do factory reset or edit the Settings Storage's database file to make sure the settings stick.
    What assumptions did I make? Everything I stated is just in my experience. 4.5 years of college, never got reception in my union. Flashed this, now I do. Battery life is better, that's just the case for me. And when I flashed this radio, I just enabled LTE and I've been fine since. I don't know what assumption you're saying I made.

EDIT: maybe its the factory reset option. I didn't have to do it, but I suppose others might. Dunno why if its the same radio.

I'm thinking of trying this and will these instructions and files be the same on 4.3?

Quote Originally Posted by NexusGirlX View Post
    I'm thinking of trying this and will these instructions and files be the same on 4.3?
    Yes

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

It should drain less not more without LTE. But I can't answer that since it differ for each person, depending on the kernel, rom, how good the HSPA signal compared to the LTE signal for that person and how the phone setup is and usage pattern.

You will be hard pressed to get double digits ping with T-Mobile LTE by the way. I get it in the low 100ms. But it is acceptable for online fps.
    What should I do get low ping values?

I do not care about speed, I care about ping due to my business

Maybe change my carrier to Verizon or sth else?

How do you explain my low pings on two different phones on T-Mobile? Most people get these low pings from what I can tell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to get LTE on my Nexus 4?-photo-29.png   How to get LTE on my Nexus 4?-screenshot_2013-12-07-10-06-32.png  

Quote Originally Posted by NexusGirlX View Post
    How do you explain my low pings on two different phones on T-Mobile? Most people get these low pings from what I can tell.
    Then you are fortunate. It's depends on the cell tower you're connected to as well.

sent via tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by misterno123 View Post
    Maybe change my carrier to Verizon or sth else?
    Well with a nexus 4, not verizon I guess...

I decided I don't feel comfortable enabling LTE on my Nexus 4.