1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 Screen Blacks Out: 4.4 KitKat

Nexus 4 screen blacks out. I cant disconnect from phone calls. Hitting the power button the screen reappears briefly before disappearing. While receiving or taking a call I have to repeatedly hit the power button to hit the disconnect button as it flashes up.

I have started the phone in SAFE mode. Still getting the problem. So it isn't an app.
    Reset to factory resets. Still getting the problem. So it isn't a setting.

This only started happening since 4.4 has been installed.

Is anyone else getting a similar problem? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Default Re: Nexus 4 Screen Blacks Out: 4.4 KitKat

Welcome to Android Central! Do you have a case or a screen protector on? They could be interfering with the proximity sensor, making the phone think that it's still up against your ear, and therefore keeping the screen blank. Maybe the 4.4 update messed around with the sensitivity of the proximity sensor. If you have a case or screen protector, see what happens if you take them off.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! Do you have a case or a screen protector on? They could be interfering with the proximity sensor, making the phone think that it's still up against your ear, and therefore keeping the screen blank. Maybe the 4.4 update messed around with the sensitivity of the proximity sensor. If you have a case or screen protector, see what happens if you take them off.
    Hi Diddy, wat d you mean case? do you mean the metal cases? because my bf loves to use metal cases

I mean any kind of case--the main thing would be if part of the case is too close to the proximity sensor (which is right next to the front-facing camera). If the case is right next to the sensor (or covering it), the sensor might confuse that part of the case for your ear.

I too, have a Nexus 4 that blacks out while I am on a call. I have no case, or screen protector on. I downloaded various apps and When I test the sensor it shows at 0.0 However, the light is working. An ideas? very frustrating!!!

Chad

mines always done it, I have to put my hand over the sensor then remove it, always have.

This has happened to me so many times that I thought it was a bug. Then I saw where the sensor was and realized that I was always triggering it somehow. No more issues for me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app