Battery care, once and for all - "Snake oil" or worthwhile procedure

Mike_47

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Both my battery app and Norelco electric shaver manual recommend discharging the battery in use to 20% about once per month... then charging up. Is this worthwhile or just like "snake oil" Thanks... ;)

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I think it recalibrates the software. Mine runs down to almost nothing on my last day off, when I'm at work it usually gets charged each night at around 50 %

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I find that burning incense while the battery is charging, and drinking a scotch on the rocks at the same time seems to help just as well.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Both my battery app and Norelco electric shaver manual recommend discharging the battery in use to 20% about once per month... then charging up. Is this worthwhile or just like "snake oil" Thanks... ;)
It's worthwhile--not for the "health" of the battery, but for the run-time calibration of the electronics it drives. As the battery ages, its run-time decreases. By occasionally running the device down until it shuts off on its own, the device's run-time is recalibrated.

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
With lithium ion, It's actually bad for battery if you discharge it all the way too much, ideally never let it go too low.

I believe the N4 is a LiPo battery but regardless..heed this advice. A huge portion of the Red Light Of Death issues happened when people let their phones discharge to zero. It really is not advised.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Ideally the device won't let it discharge to zero, but will shut down before it gets that far. And you do have to let it discharge to shutdown, occasionally, so the electronics know how much capacity the battery has.

My runtime just "magically" increased by about 20% by doing that. I had been consistently at 75-80% by the end of the workday. It started dropping, heading down to 60% or less, in the same time, last week. Looking at the consumers: There wasn't anything excessive going on. So I let it die, let it stay off for a couple hours, charged it back up, all in one go, and now it's back to 75-80% at the end of the workday.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power