Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Good battery saver app for N4 with 4.4?

As discussed in other threads on this forum, Juice Defender, Easy Battery Saver, and perhaps other battery saver apps are causing wifi issues with 4.4. Are there any battery saver apps that are effective and are working OK with Kit Kat 4.4?

Thanks,
    b

Default Re: Good battery saver app for N4 with 4.4?

I do not use any and I don''t like the idea of these apps having large amount of permissions on my phone as well.

This is how manage it manually:
    -Discover any wakelock issues and find ways to stop them, this is the main battery killer. Common things that can cause wakelock: facebook, Media Scanner, Google Play services. There are lots of discussion on the internet about these issues.
    -Use Widgetsoid or some form of quick toggle program that let you switch on and off things.
    -Switch off mobile data when you don't use it. Disable LTE if you can, since imo it eats up more battery.
    -For WiFi, go in WiFisetting and disable any background scanning.
    -Set GPS to use "battery saver mode", only switch on GPS when you navigate.
    -Disable the system's touch sound and vibration, keyboard sound and vibration.
    -Disable Google syncing, use your quick toggle app to toggle it when you need to sync. Disable sync for third party apps like Email as well if you can.
    -If you don't need Google Now, disable it.
    -Don't use auto brightness, it cause the sensor to be more active. Manually set the brightness.
    -Use the least amount of widgets as possible. No livewallpapers.

Lastly, don't allow programs to run the background that you don't desire. This is tricky since it tends to need root. But you can swipe them away from "recent apps" or change it's settings, disable push notifications (a lot of games have this). I know it's true Android is good at managing memory, but my rule of thumb has always been less background running apps the better.
    Last edited by someguy01234; 12-12-2013 at 07:33 PM.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the info. I had adequate battery life with 4.3, maybe it is true that 4.4 reduces battery life. With 4.4, I had to uninstall Easy Battery Saver to get wifi working, so I thought perhaps it was the lack of a battery saver app that was causing the battery drain. It seems to be internet browsing that makes the battery run down, even though I have the screen on low brightness.
    Thanked by:

Some people say they get better battery life with ART enabled, I haven't payed attention to the difference, but you can try that out.

The browser app you're using may make a difference, I'm using Naked Browser.

Quote Originally Posted by billdz View Post
    Thanks for the info. I had adequate battery life with 4.3, maybe it is true that 4.4 reduces battery life. With 4.4, I had to uninstall Easy Battery Saver to get wifi working, so I thought perhaps it was the lack of a battery saver app that was causing the battery drain. It seems to be internet browsing that makes the battery run down, even though I have the screen on low brightness.

Thanks again here, especially for the info on Easy Battery Saver. I began having WiFi problems with an N7 tablet as well [2012 model]. It seems Ok now with Easy Battery Saver uninstalled. Since the Du battery saver has worked well in my N4 phone, even with the 4.4 update, I'm trying that in the tablet as well.

Quote Originally Posted by billdz View Post
    As discussed in other threads on this forum, Juice Defender, Easy Battery Saver, and perhaps other battery saver apps are causing wifi issues with 4.4. Are there any battery saver apps that are effective and are working OK with Kit Kat 4.4?

Thanks,
    b
    there is only one app that can effectively save battery.... if u r rooted use Greenify
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

"Since the Du battery saver has worked well in my N4 phone, even with the 4.4 update, I'm trying that in the tablet as well."
    That's interesting, as the DU page on Facebook says that DU is not working with 4.4. I decided to give 2x Battery Saver a try, as it is claimed to work with 4.4. So far no problem with wifi, let's see if it helps with the battery.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I just experienced the wifi problem for the first time while using 2x battery saver. The app's page at the Play store says to see FAQ #11 if any wifi problems are experienced. FAQ #11 says:
    change WiFi sleep policy to "never sleep" by going to:
    For 2.x devices: Launcher > MENU > Settings > Wireless & networks > WiFi settings > MENU > Advanced > WiFi sleep policy > Never
    For 4.x devices: Launcher > Settings > Wi-Fi > MENU > Advanced > Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep > Always
    check the "Stay awake" option by going to: 2x Battery > Settings > Misc. power-saving options > Stay awake
    reboot the device after you change the settings
    After that, if you still have the same problem, please send us a log by going to: 2x Battery > Settings > App log > Email

I have changed the settings as suggested, now will see what happens. If no success, will try DU battery saver. From what I've seen, these battery saver apps appear to extend battery life primarily by shutting off wifi while the phone is asleep, so I'm skeptical.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Knock on wood, but 3 days now and all is OK, in fact even better than with 4.3, using 2x battery saver and the settings set forth in FAQ #11. So far no wifi issues and battery life is substantially better than it was with 4.3 and Easy Battery Saver. I'm no expert, but it seems that the battery saver apps shut off wifi when we are not using the phone, and that is the primary reason for extended battery life. I would like to try DU battery saver, it gets the best reviews at the Play store (the Facebook page says it is not compatible with 4.4, but Mike_47 says above in post #5 it is working for him) but at the moment 2x is working so well I want to leave the phone alone.