1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default External Hard Drive on Nexus 4

Is there any way to connect an external hard drive to a Nexus 4? I just want to have some music and movies stored which can be transferred to the Nexus 4 on the go. I've heard you can do this through otg but I heard that otg is not compatible with the nexus 4. Is there any other way to connect some sort of storage medium to the nexus 4?

Default Re: External Hard Drive on Nexus 4

You better of buying a Samsung with MicroSD or a Nexus 5 instead and use an app like this to mount the drive:

To get OTG on the N4 you need a custom kernel, and it doesn't output power so you need a specific Y cable to provide external power to your connected device. This is essentially what you'll have to lug around:

WiFi/Networked hard drive should work.

Why not just keep your media files in dropbox or drive then use a file manager to move them to internal storage?

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by DAVID ARGENTIERI View Post
    Why not just keep your media files in dropbox or drive then use a file manager to move them to internal storage?

I was assuming he's going to take a trek to the Amazon jungles where there isn't internet.

Quote Originally Posted by nigerianmahogany View Post
    Is there any way to connect an external hard drive to a Nexus 4? I just want to have some music and movies stored which can be transferred to the Nexus 4 on the go. I've heard you can do this through otg but I heard that otg is not compatible with the nexus 4. Is there any other way to connect some sort of storage medium to the nexus 4?
    You can use a split/Y OTG cable with an external battery, or check out the WiDrive from Kingston, expensive but cool.

If data isn't an issue though I'd use cloud services.