Recommended free space on 16gig nexus4

Manoj Bhaskaran

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
What is the amount of free space that i have to keep on my 16gb nexus 4 so that the phone runs smooth.. or being a high end device, is this irrelevant?

Posted via Android Central App

ohyeahar

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Irrelevant. As you near the capacity limit, you'll get a warning message. As long as you stay below the threshold of getting the warning message, you'll be fine.

Manoj Bhaskaran

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Irrelevant. As you near the capacity limit, you'll get a warning message. As long as you stay below the threshold of getting the warning message, you'll be fine.

Have you received a warning yet? Does the OS itself give a warning msg? i get less than 20% warnings from Clean master.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I had a couple of apps complain that I didn't have enough storage when trying to update. I have about 500MB of free storage.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The system handles memory pretty well. When you start to run short on memory a warning will pop-up telling you to clear up storage, which you'll need to either delete a few apps, clear app caches or transfer files form the internal sd card (whichever warning appears). If your device starts to run sluggish its because you have memory intensive apps or widgets running.

Manoj Bhaskaran

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
The system handles memory pretty well. When you start to run short on memory a warning will pop-up telling you to clear up storage, which you'll need to either delete a few apps, clear app caches or transfer files form the internal sd card (whichever warning appears). If your device starts to run sluggish its because you have memory intensive apps or widgets running.

Does the android os itself sends the user a low storage memory warning?

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
That might be those apps with size greater than 500mega.right?

Plague inc did that to me and it's only 70MB. Another app did it too but can't remember which one. My only app taking more than 150MB is Google music because of all the offline songs.

Updates always worked on second try.

Manoj Bhaskaran

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Plague inc did that to me and it's only 70MB. Another app did it too but can't remember which one. My only app taking more than 150MB is Google music because of all the offline songs.

Updates always worked on second try.

Why would something like this happen? any idea?

Eric Mazariegos

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
How you fill up a 16GB phone with purely apps is beyond me. I normally use just the google apps and social media and currently have 7 GB available...
Sounds like you may want to try out cloud storage options for photos, music, and files. Google Drive works great for storing any type of file on the cloud. They offer 15GB of free storage. For photos, Google+ has an auto backup feature that you turn on from within the app. For music, Play Music works great for storing your entire library on their servers. You stream your songs with an internet connection as opposed to storing any songs locally.
Hope that helps.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
How you fill up a 16GB phone with purely apps is beyond me. I normally use just the google apps and social media and currently have 7 GB available...
Sounds like you may want to try out cloud storage options for photos, music, and files. Google Drive works great for storing any type of file on the cloud. They offer 15GB of free storage. For photos, Google+ has an auto backup feature that you turn on from within the app. For music, Play Music works great for storing your entire library on their servers. You stream your songs with an internet connection as opposed to storing any songs locally.
Hope that helps.

I'm a big fan of cloud storage - I have a Chromebook and 100gb of storage on drive, all my pics are on G+, all my music in play music, etc.

I'm also a big fan of music, don't have unlimited data, and go through a lot of places with no or weak data connection (London underground, UK countryside). So I keep a bit of music on my device - about 8gb at the moment. I have around 500MB of podcasts, 700mb of photos - I think they get cached automatically, some offline languages for voice recognition, etc. In the end I wouldn't mind having 32GB of storage. But I think I'll manage until the next nexus comes out.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12