I want to try a Nexus phone what to do?

Dumb1

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I really want to try the Nexus line of phones. I currently own a S3 and like the phone it pulled me out of Apple brainwashing. However I would really like to drive a true google phone as the slow updates is my biggest complaint about the S3 (ATT). So to be honest I dont really want to drop 400.00 on a phone only to find I dont like it. I have found a Nexus 4 locally for under 200.00 so was thinking of buying it and trying it out. What would you do?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I really want to try the Nexus line of phones. I currently own a S3 and like the phone it pulled me out of Apple brainwashing. However I would really like to drive a true google phone as the slow updates is my biggest complaint about the S3 (ATT). So to be honest I dont really want to drop 400.00 on a phone only to find I dont like it. I have found a Nexus 4 locally for under 200.00 so was thinking of buying it and trying it out. What would you do?

if u r don't have intention of buying n5 for $400 buy a Moto G.. its pure Android for $179 for 8gb and $199 for 16 Gb

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Yeah given the existence of the Moto G the price of this Nexus ought to be heavily considered. What's the asking price?

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using AC Forums mobile app.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
No bad idea to get a Moto G (a lower-mid end device) if you already have an S3 (flagship device, despite not new), unless you have zero intention of ever using the camera on the Moto G at all, it lacks LTE as well.

It's still better to get a used Nexus 4 for the same price as a new Moto G, the N4 is more powerful and is a true Nexus with unlocked bootloader therefore offers more freedom. The Moto G do have one thing the N4 lacks which is USB OTG (plugging in a flashdrive to the phone).

What would you do?
I personally would stick with the S3 because I had it before (but the quadcore international version), but I guess the dualcore ATT version in term of performance it is not too bad compared to the N4. The hardware is fine, its just the Touchwiz bloat that slow it down. The S3 offer more storage than the N4 since it have microSD. With the N4, you are stuck with 12.95GB (the other 3GB is reserved for system). It also have a better camera and removable battery that last slightly longer than the N4. I would look into unlocking the S3 bootloader and install custom roms like CyanogenMod, which offer similar experience to stock Android.

The reason I chose the Nexusis because of the unlocked bootloaders, lots more developers for it and freedom to do what I want and always getting the latest Android version. But you get downsides like less storage, battery life and not the best camera. This aspect has been true for every Nexus phones I owned, they're not phones made to be the best and compete as flagship devices (although the N5 do have the fastest cpu when it was released, it lacks in some other aspects like speaker and camera), but are great values with bootloader and sim unlocked and more freedom.

However, if money isn't an issue, I would just go ahead and get a Nexus, but don't dismiss the Moto X as well, it have some unique features that even the Nexus 5 lacks.

There are lots of Nexus being sold on swappa.com as well.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The price is 200.00 in mint condition. Thanks for the advice so far lots to think over for sure.

Go for it. You should be able to sell your s3 and make most of that 200 back. If you don't end up liking the nexus you can sell it as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Dumb1

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't have LTE in my area so that isn't a deal breaker for me. This would be a temp phone because if I happen to like it I would upgrade to the 5 at some point. Most likely handing either my current s3 or N4 to my son.

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Production wise the N4 is an end of life device. If we assume continuity of Google's software strategy this points to the ceasing of updates soon. Look at the GNEX. I won't presume to state how important updates are to you but depending on how long the N4 is to be in service this could be an issue. Given the price and condition (mint) of the device I'd say it relegates the Moto G to a non starting position depending on the memory configuration of course.

Dumb1

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
the return policy for google play is 15 days? Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy the N5 and if I dont like it return it?

Last edited:

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
the return policy for google play is 15 days? Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy the N5 and if I dont like it return it?

Always buy the best phone you can afford. If you've got the money, get the n5.

oldtimer42

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I agree with benhmadison. If you need a new phone always buy the newest tech you can afford. This helps manage obsolescence. If you want to experiment then find a gently used N4 rather than a mint one for less money.

I have an N4 and a N7 and love them both. My N4 still runs great and is in perfect condition since I carry a Ballistic Case and a thin one and vary them based on when/where I'm going.

I would personally consider the Moto X but its cost is high and is not a pure Nexus. My short list currently is N5, Moto X and a distant 3rd HTC One GPE.

Dumb1

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have thought about rooting but I'm intimidated by it. I read so many threads with problems with this or that after rooting. If I could find a step by step for dummies i might just try it! I would be doing this on a macbook also.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You better off asking here: AT&T Galaxy S3 Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Rooting and installing custom rom are two different things. Rooting give you admin privilege. Installing custom rom replace the entire operating system, to do that you need to install custom recovery like TWRP. Rooting may cause you to lose your warranty. I suggest rooting first, but if you want a really fast phone, install custom recovery and install CyanogenMod11.

Just know that you have an ATT S3, it may use different firmware, packages, and roms version compared to T-Mobile/Verizon/international version of S3, so make sure you flash the ATT compatible version. For custom roms, the ATT S3 is referred to as "d2att".

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have thought about rooting but I'm intimidated by it. I read so many threads with problems with this or that after rooting. If I could find a step by step for dummies i might just try it! I would be doing this on a macbook also.

If you know someone with a Windows PC, and they will let you do it, then root and flash away. It isn't that bad, most of the time it is people not reading completely. If you look into it do as much research asn ask questions before borrowing the Win PC.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you are due for an upgrade, you can try through them.

Dumb1

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, from what I've read so far I may have screwed my self when I updated to 4.3? Also the original N4 price is lowered to 150.00 which is tempting me.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, from what I've read so far I may have screwed my self when I updated to 4.3? Also the original N4 price is lowered to 150.00 which is tempting me.

I would say give that a shot then.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Production wise the N4 is an end of life device. If we assume continuity of Google's software strategy this points to the ceasing of updates soon. Look at the GNEX. I won't presume to state how important updates are to you but depending on how long the N4 is to be in service this could be an issue.

The Galaxy Nexus has a Texas Instruments OMAP processor, which is why it isn't receiving official KitKat from Google. Texas Instruments isn't in the mobile game anymore. The Nexus 4 will likely receive support for a longer period of time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance