I suppose KitKat wasn't enough

mohsinkhan35

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Currently in the process of installing Ubuntu, dual boot with KitKat. I wanna check it out and experience the new OS. Has anyone played around with it? Any tips?
This is what I love about Nexus devices and android in general. They support users in every way, there are no boundaries like in other OS and devices. I would hate to see Android being replaced by Google Chrome as it is such a closed end OS.

mohsinkhan35

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have not installed it, but I'm really curious why you would?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

I crave messing around with things lol so just out of boredom and curiosity, I decided to give it a go. But no seriously, I am a heavy ubuntu user, and I like what I see in desktop environment. I wanna see how Ubuntu performs on a mobile platform, in the process hopefully I can provide some useful feedback too.

And besides, It is a dual boot so with a simple reboot I can go back to KitKat

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I crave messing around with things lol so just out of boredom and curiosity, I decided to give it a go. But no seriously, I am a heavy ubuntu user, and I like what I see in desktop environment. I wanna see how Ubuntu performs on a mobile platform, in the process hopefully I can provide some useful feedback too.

And besides, It is a dual boot so with a simple reboot I can go back to KitKat

Please let us know what Ubuntu is like.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

mohsinkhan35

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Please let us know what Ubuntu is like.

Sure :) It is up and running as I type, I will try it out for few days, look into my crystal ball and come back for a write up on what future beholds :p.

First impression? Stay clear of it, as it is pulling-your-hair-out frustrating. But there is lots and lots of potential in this OS

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Sure :) It is up and running as I type, I will try it out for few days, look into my crystal ball and come back for a write up on what future beholds :p.

First impression? Stay clear of it, as it is pulling-your-hair-out frustrating. But there is lots and lots of potential in this OS

Lol, not ready for prime time yet? What does it do very differently? What sorts of swipe gestures does it support? (No apps yet either?)

mohsinkhan35

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Lol, not ready for prime time yet? What does it do very differently? What sorts of swipe gestures does it support? (No apps yet either?)

What works
- Network Phone calls, SMS, Camera and Wifi and Sound

What doesn't work
- Mobile Data (Although it can be enabled through patching)
- MMS
- APN, Network configuration
- Battery Optimization
- No Security features

The UI is very nice, it is based on gestures a la BlackBerry Z10. Swiping up down left or right from bezel. For desktop ubuntu users, the interface looks a lot like Unity (apps on a sidebar). Swiping from left brings all the "running" apps as well as shortcuts. You can pin apps to the sidebar.

I understand why you can dual boot because while it is nice to play around with it, it can't be your daily driver. As it doesn't let me use Mobile data and I don't have wifi at work, I can't comment on Browser and other apps. I will add few accounts to check the sync features.

For now, I am back to Android, reading up on Firefox OS and triple-booting. If I can easily switch back to android then these OS'es are here to stay.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
What works
- Network Phone calls, SMS, Camera and Wifi and Sound

What doesn't work
- Mobile Data (Although it can be enabled through patching)
- MMS
- APN, Network configuration
- Battery Optimization
- No Security features

The UI is very nice, it is based on gestures a la BlackBerry Z10. Swiping up down left or right from bezel. For desktop ubuntu users, the interface looks a lot like Unity (apps on a sidebar). Swiping from left brings all the "running" apps as well as shortcuts. You can pin apps to the sidebar.

I understand why you can dual boot because while it is nice to play around with it, it can't be your daily driver. As it doesn't let me use Mobile data and I don't have wifi at work, I can't comment on Browser and other apps. I will add few accounts to check the sync features.

For now, I am back to Android, reading up on Firefox OS and triple-booting. If I can easily switch back to android then these OS'es are here to stay.

Fascinating! :D:thumbup::beer: Thank you for the mini review!

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for giving us your impressions. I was also thinking of giving it a shot just out of curiosity. I think I'll wait awhile after reading your review.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Currently in the process of installing Ubuntu, dual boot with KitKat. I wanna check it out and experience the new OS. Has anyone played around with it? Any tips?
This is what I love about Nexus devices and android in general. They support users in every way, there are no boundaries like in other OS and devices. I would hate to see Android being replaced by Google Chrome as it is such a closed end OS.

I havent tried it but i know that I will go back to Android in just a day....

I have done this with my PC all the time... I go back to windows after just few days of ubuntu...

but now I have abandoned Windows

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I had very limited experience with Ubuntu on a desktop. So I also went for it, and put an Ubuntu rom on my N4 for the sake of experiment. It was like hitting a wall full speed because the UI is so completely different than Android or iOS. I played with it for a few hours, but could not see myself making a switch to Ubuntu. I did not dive too deep into Ubuntu, so I cannot criticize it, but is is soooo very different and "exotic". Although I guess that should you force yourself to adjust to the looks of it, you will probably be using it like any other OS.

mohsinkhan35

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I had very limited experience with Ubuntu on a desktop. So I also went for it, and put an Ubuntu rom on my N4 for the sake of experiment. It was like hitting a wall full speed because the UI is so completely different than Android or iOS. I played with it for a few hours, but could not see myself making a switch to Ubuntu. I did not dive too deep into Ubuntu, so I cannot criticize it, but is is soooo very different and "exotic". Although I guess that should you force yourself to adjust to the looks of it, you will probably be using it like any other OS.

Agreed. I had the experience of using Z10 for a while and I think that these "swipe" gestures are becoming more and more common. I believe iOS has implemented in some way as well. Not to say it is bad, but it definitely takes some time getting used to it.
Switching to Ubuntu now is just wasting your precious N4. But I can't wait till ubuntu is officially released, then we will see different distros and full community supported linux apps. :p Oh and you can switch back to Android with a restart. Clean magic trick haha

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays