Which VPN to Prevent Hacking?

lmvine

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I use wifi a lot from public spots and have recently read about VPN for hacking prevention. I tried Hideman & Hiddenninja (free versions) but both seemed to be very slow or not connect at all.

Has anyone used a VPN successfully with the N4 for hacking prevention, even a paid version?

Happy with the one you use?

Here is a link that discusses VPN for Android.
http://www.androidauthority.com/vpn-and-app-list-for-beginner-users-192672/2/

Last edited:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I use wifi a lot from public spots and have recently read about VPN for hacking prevention. I tried Hideman & Hiddenninja (free versions) but both seemed to be very slow or not connect at all.

Has anyone used a VPN successfully with the N4 for hacking prevention, even a paid version?

Happy with the one you use?

Here is a link that discusses VPN for Android.
How to use VPN on Android - Best VPN Android Apps!

A VPN will not prevent hacking, although it will make it harder. It all depends on how much you trust the company. There are many VPN providers that have support for Android and have there own proprietary Android app. If you are looking for a VPN, I consider looking at these.

PrivateInternetAccess (I am currently using this one)

Proxy.sh (used this one before PIA)

IVPN

You can use these on any device, like your PC, Phone, Tablet, where ever it is you need it.

For the love of all that is good, DO NOT USE HIDEMYASS.

Always check to see if the VPN keeps logs. If it does or you can't tell if they do, trash em. Both of these VPN's feature Military Grade Encryption (AES-256 bit encryption).

If I may ask, why are you worried about hacking? o_o

lmvine

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
While I don't want NSA to snoop (and I know VPN won't stop them), I am more concerned about a hacker on an open wifi at McDonalds or Starbucks, etc.

I have used Tunnel Bear to see Downton Abbey online (as a UK address) but am interested on opinions how secure it is from hackers?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
A VPN will not stop them, but it will slow them down. Do not use tunnel bear, or hidemyass, or spotflux, or hideman, or some random VPN from the play store. Most of them keep logs and are not to be trusted. Why would a hacker be at mcdonalds? And would you like me to list some more VPNs for you?

lmvine

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
A VPN will not stop them, but it will slow them down. Do not use tunnel bear, or hidemyass, or spotflux, or hideman, or some random VPN from the play store. Most of them keep logs and are not to be trusted. Why would a hacker be at mcdonalds? And would you like me to list some more VPNs for you?

McDonalds was only an example but also use in airports, etc that are open. As I said may be paranoid.
Good point on the logs. YES, would like to get some more VPN recommendations.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
McDonalds was only an example but also use in airports, etc that are open. As I said may be paranoid.
Good point on the logs. YES, would like to get some more VPN recommendations.

Alright. These are all VPNs that I have used and have heard good reviews from other people. One thing you should know is that you are trusting your data with a third party company. Some providers are there because they believe in internet privacy, while others don't give a hoot and are in it for the money.

AirVPN
https://airvpn.org

AirVPN was made by internet activists who believe in internet freedom. I have had good speeds with them and have had little to no drops in connection with them. The do not log and accept various currencies such as bitcoin. The use AES-256 bit military grade encryption for all connections. Downside is they only support 1 device at a time per account unless you pay a little more and people report of dropped connections.

Privateinternetaccess
https://privateinternetaccess.com/o...993&url=https://www.privateinternetaccess.com

This is my current vpn. PIA has always been a true believer in internet privacy and is one of the best vpns in the business. They have some of the cheapest prices I've ever seen and their service is top notch. They have servers in multiple locations around the U.S, Canada, Germany, Netherlands, Sweeden, Romania, and more. They use shared ip's to further increase anonymity and keep no logs. They have an easy to use client and have apps for android as well so you can have a vpn on your phone. They use 128 bit blowfish encryption but you can increase it to AES-256 bit encryption for free in their pc client. They have a dns leak proof feature so your real ip does not leak and a kill switch so that it kills all unencrypted data if the vpn connection drops. My speeds were fast. You won't even notice your connected to a vpn. That's how fast it is. PIA also supports the EFF. The downside is that is a U.S based company. The U.S does not have data retention laws, but as you know, the NSA is always watching. This has caused great controversy for PIA as to if they really do log. They insist that they have not complied with the NSA and that they rather shut down the business and relocate that to endanger customer privacy.

Proxy.sh
https://www.proxy.sh

Proxy.sh is a vpn located in Seychelles with a big dedication to privacy. They have cheap plans just like PIA and have nice apps for android and windows. They use AES-256 bit encryption. They do not log, but will so under one condition, that their service is not used to harm another human being. If they receive complaint of a certain shared ip that is causing trouble, then they will investigate. Recently, they announced that they were going to log on one server publicly in order to catch a stalker that was reported to them via a complaint. They were transparent about everything and even gave a public warning to the alleged hacker, stating that their "haven" does not belong to people who have the intent to harm others and that they would take legal action against the person if he or she would not stop. The person apologized and the logging stopped. If you will not harm another being with their service, then they will honor their word. They are one of the best vpns I've used and will use them again eventually. As of now, they handle problems like this differently. They are trying out new ways to solve problems without logging and have now created what is called a "warrant canary" on their home page. It is updated everyday by the senior system administrator to ensure the company has not been compromised. If they warrant canary is out of date, then users will know that they have been comprised by authorities and are logging. They do this for the safety and privacy of customers.

iPredator
https://www.ipredator.se

iPredator is a vpn from sweeden that has some correlation with thepiratebay, the famous torrent site. These guys are truely believers in privacy and do not log. While my experience was short with them, I had alright speeds with them. They were good, but not as good as I expected them to be. I believe they will become better over time and that they need to mature a little bit as a company before I try them again. I am about to try them again and will see how it goes!

IVPN
https://www.ivpn.net/

My experience was short with them, but they are excellent. Speeds are fast and they support a variety of devices. They are based in Malta, do not log, and are big believers in privacy. They are very transparent and have one of the best privacy policies I have ever seen on a VPN. They are partners with the EFF, a group that fights for internet freedom. Their speeds are really good and I've had a great experience with them. I would still be using their service, but they are a bit on the pricey side compared to others.

Those are the main ones you should stick with. If you want to know more, you can learn more here.

http://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-that-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2013-edition/

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

lmvine

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Went with PIA for a month trial. PC download was a little clunky but N4 was easy. Seems OK so far. Will upgade to yearly if all continues to go well.
wizzrah, thanks for your help.

Dr Rose

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Free VPN providers are more likely to log your activities and serve contextual ads while you're connected. They're also more likely to use your usage habits to tailor future ads to you, have fewer exit locations, and weak commitments to privacy so if logging and privacy are important to you, you may want to avoid them.
I personally used purevpn.com on my N4 and am very satisfied with the speed and the diversity of the servers and locations however I'm sure you can find many similar providers by do some googling.

lmvine

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
My one month trial with PIA went well so I opted for a year contract. Only downside is some sites don't recognize computer but a small inconvenience. Cool where they think you are in another state/country.

jacko101

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm a bit late to this party, but thought I'd join in!

Is there a reason why you say not to use Tunnel Bear? It says on their web site that they do not log and I've read other good things about them?

I've used them several times and been happy with the speeds and the app works a treat.

As for using a free wifi, wouldn't you recommend using one on a public wifi network? Just being on the wifi could pass your email passwords in plain text to anyone that's listening. And yes, that's a bit paranoid but if there's a way to encrpyt that data, surely it's beter to do so? (I know nothing is 100% secure, but it adds another layer!)

The PIA VPN solution does look good, but I like that Tunnel Bear gives you a free option for a decent amount of data, which is useful for me as I don't spend that long on public wifi anyway!

If I'm missing something with Tunnel Bear, please let me know as I've been recommending it to friends!

Cheers

Steve

watchadhoc

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Nice suggestions , wizzrah! Thank you for the list of VPN sites you've provided, I've tried most VPN recently and still looking for the best one for me. Most people bet on using HMA but why do you seem to hate it though?

Dr Rose

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Nowadays there are many reliable VPN provider in industry so in order to find the best one, go online and check out the reviews for different VPN services. Make a comparison of the features, costs, security, speed, bandwidth, server location and connectivity protocol. By doing your research beforehand, you can narrow down your options to two or three VPN service providers before making a final decision. However please note that VPN will protect you in many ways but there is more to it than just a VPN. For instance if you go to a compromised web site and allow it to run Java you will get hacked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze