Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By teleclimber
  • 1 Post By charlee08
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default ART on Nexus 4?

The Practical BBQ'r !

Default Re: ART on Nexus 4?

My galaxy Nexus is no longer supported by Google (BOOOO!) but I have been running CM11 (4.4 KitKat rom) on it. It's been really awesome. I also have experiemented with running ART rather then Dalvik, and have found ART does seem to improve battery life and reduce the freezing, lag, stutter, and random reboots I was experiencing on 4.3 (both factory stock and custom roms).

Try it out. The only downside is not all apps are coded to support ART so some may not work properly (or just simply not work at all - although I haven't run into that!) For me there have only been a few apps that don't play nicely with it (And it could be that I'm running a custom ROM - and nightlies at that!), or that I'm running ART (which CM specifically states that it is not officially supported by them)

Make a backup, switch to ART and see if you like it. Be aware that you will be asked to reboot your phone so the phone can recompile the apps in the new runtime. You only need to do this when switching from ART to Dalvik or Dalvik to ART. The switch to ART takes significantly longer for the initial boot and recompile but after that reboots seem to take about the same time.
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile

Global Posts
    11,261 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I don't see why ART wouldn't work. Give it a try and see if you can enable it and let us know what you think. As mentioned above, some Apps may not work and will force close if not supported.

I just enabled it last night. Took a long time to "optimize" the apps. And the very initial loading of an app after boot was a little slow.

However, now I'm flying! ART totally breathed new life into my device (it had gotten a bit sluggish with KitKat). Everything seems to work, including whatsapp. Task switching is much faster, as is hitting home and calling up apps. Everything feels slicker and faster. Give it a try, it's worth it.
    kart180 likes this.

I never did notice a difference in performance or battery life on ART.

Maybe there was one, but it was so small it wasn't really noticeable.

Posted via Android Central App
    kart180 likes this.

The biggest difference I noticed with ART was that my apps were 20% larger due to being stored pre-compiled, not worth the very minor if any speed boost for me.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzylumpkin View Post
    The biggest difference I noticed with ART was that my apps were 20% larger due to being stored pre-compiled, not worth the very minor if any speed boost for me.

Just curious to use it , can I revert back to dalvik safely ?
    KNOW NEXUS - KNOW ANDROID - KNOW JAILBREAK - KNOW IPHONE

Quote Originally Posted by sameer kapoor View Post
    Just curious to use it , can I revert back to dalvik safely ?
    Yes. If you have any problems with apps, switching back and forth between ART and Dalvik just uninstall and reinstall. Some apps may not run smoothly with ART. And prepare to wait about 15 to 30 minutes (depending on your number of installed apps) for the switch to finish.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

I thought ART was a step forward, but have no way to prove it.

I've never seen one iota of difference in performance on my Nexus 4 between Dalvik and ART. I have no idea what the shouting is all about, tbh. Certainly not on this device at least.

Yup, ART improved my battery life from Dalvik. Noticeable as hell for me when I did a fresh install of Kit Kat months back. Performance also got better and there's no app I couldn't run with it. Only downside was the increased size of some apps but no big deal depending on how many pics or music you store.

Nice step forward, but since I'm using Xposed framework now I'm back on Dalvik + Franco.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    1,997 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.1 Lollipop

I've been using ART for the past couple months since it's been available. The only thing I have noticed is that apps open much faster. Yes... it does increase the size of an app, but I have plenty of memory and have yet to be concerned about that. To ME... ART is worth using.
    Current Device: Nexus 6 & Nexus Player

Current Carrier: Sprint

When you do switch from Davik to Art make sure u connect to a power source. last time I did it without a power source it killed 35% of my battery from 100%

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk