Data works on my Nexus 4, but voice and SMS don't.

iishotz21

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi I'm new here and I just got a nexus 4 off my friend. So I cut the sim and put it in but the data works but the text messaging and phone doesn't work it says mobile service unavailable. Hopefully I didn't put this in a wrong section please forgive if I did. So I'm wondering why my data works and nothing else does I tried the #4646 or something like that but it didn't work no matter what setting i used.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Did you reboot the phone after inserting the Sim card? It won't be properly recognized until you do.

If it still doesn't work after rebooting, then the card is not cut correctly or, God forbid, inserted upside down.

iishotz21

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I tried it still doesn't work it shows I have 4 bars with my carrier but only the data works. Its weird because if I cut it wrong they all shouldn't work

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I tried it still doesn't work it shows I have 4 bars with my carrier but only the data works. Its weird because if I cut it wrong they all shouldn't work
True, but the N4 really doesn't like cut SIMs... I would just request a new SIM from your carrier, they are usually free as a replacement.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Who is your carrier? Perhaps yours requires that you register the phone's IMEI.

The number you were looking for, by the way, is *#*#4636#*#*