Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

Default Nexus 4: Kernels for better battery life

I'm looking for a kernel to optimize my Nexus 4's battery life, any suggestions and recommendations?

Global Posts
    8,889 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Kernels for better battery life

Quote Originally Posted by mathiasjk View Post
    I'm looking for a kernel to optimize my Nexus 4's battery life, any suggestions and recommendations?
    Franco kernel might be worth looking into. Seems to improve standby time by quite a bit

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Default Re: Nexus 4: Kernels for better battery life

Yeah, definitely Franco Kernel...

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    8,432 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I have the Nexus 5 and use Franco, so definitely would recommend it if you are looking for something else.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Some of the true battery saving kernels like matr1x or faux are laggy or unoptimized. Franco has a great balance between smoothness and battery life. Us he is always thinking of ways to improve and the kernel is on the 203rd version.

If aren't familiar with installing kernels you can download Franco's free app which will let you download the kernel in the app.

It mostly is a set and forget kernel (pre optimized) but you can buy Franco's paid app or use the free trickstermod app to undervolt and adjust clock speeds.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

How many extra hours do you guys experience with it?

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

I'm thinking of going back to Stock 4.4.2 ROM from CyanogenMod 11 and rooting it. After that flashing the Franco kernal.

Can someone tell me if its possible to get the Expanded desktop mode like CyanogenMod 11 on a rooted 4.4.2 stock ROM?

Quote Originally Posted by 1210saad View Post
    I'm thinking of going back to Stock 4.4.2 ROM from CyanogenMod 11 and rooting it. After that flashing the Franco kernal.

Can someone tell me if its possible to get the Expanded desktop mode like CyanogenMod 11 on a rooted 4.4.2 stock ROM?

Search up xposed framework. And use the gravity box module. It is meant to add almost all the customizability from Roms to the stock rooted ROM. It has navbar, status bar, lock screen, quick tiles, pie controls, and yes expanded desktop.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gtanner00 View Post
    Search up xposed framework. And use the gravity box module. It is meant to add almost all the customizability from Roms to the stock rooted ROM. It has navbar, status bar, lock screen, quick tiles, pie controls, and yes expanded desktop.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk
    O ya I forgot about xposed framework.

Thanks.

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

Franco's Kernel is brilliant.

That being said, it really depends what you do to the device that'll end up saving you battery. Underclocking, undervolting, capping the suspend frequency and sleep inducing are all good ways of conserving battery.

Underclocking
    This is really just stopping your device at a maximum frequency, also you can limit the number of cores that go online by adjusting the high load threshold (you can do all this from the Franco app). For example if you're viewing a video from local storage you can cap the frequency at 800mhz (and at 2 cores by setting the high load threshold to a high number), instead of letting your N4 run all the way up to 1.5ghz (theoretically it'll draw the amount of processing power it requires but this is just a way to be safe ).

Undervolting
    The name says it all; supplying less power to the processor. Manufacturers tend to set higher power inputs to the processor to ensure fluidity, you can change that to improve battery life. I've undervolted my 384mhz to 725mV, and my 1512mhz to 1025mV and it runs fine. The battery life is marginally better.

Capping the Suspend frequency
    Setting a maximum processor speed when the screen is off. You can also do this from the Franco app, though setting a low number would result in noticeable delay in receiving push notifications. It works well if you listen to music a lot, or don't really use your phone to stay online all the time. (Mine is set to 594mhz and I receive pushes without a problem)

Sleep Inducing
    Paranoid Android (and some other ROMs) allow you to add a "Go To Sleep" button on your Quick Toggles pull-down, this puts the phone directly to deep sleep without the usual winding down period.

Hope this helped!

3.5hrs SOT with 50% battery left?
    check this: xda-developers - View Single Post - [KERNEL] *Matr1x* v12.5 | KK - 4.4

Quote Originally Posted by gtanner00 View Post
    Some of the true battery saving kernels like matr1x or faux are laggy or unoptimized...
    Strangely, what I experienced with matr1x is completely the opposite of that. It is one of the smoothest kernels I have ever tried and performance is great (but not greatest).
    I use Rastakat ROM tho.

Franco's is not far off...it's all down to optimization.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nexus 4: Kernels for better battery life-1390921378522.jpg  

All down to optimization (no overclocking)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nexus 4: Kernels for better battery life-1390924833920.jpg