Migrating over to a Nexus 4 from an LG G2x. Will I need to buy a new sim card for LTE?

zeth006

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So I've finally decided to ditch my clunky G2x for a used Nexus 4. I'm aware that recent OS updates by Google disable LTE support, which means I'll have to flash a ROM and/or flash older radio firmware to get LTE up and working. While my G2x used a regular sim card, I've noticed the N4 requires a micro sim. I've gotten a hold of instructions on how to cut my regular sim card down to size, but I've also just read elsewhere that older sim cards don't support LTE, only 3G and possibly HSPA+ 42mbps.

If I go through the proper steps to re-enable LTE on my N4, will I also need to buy a new sim card to get it working as well? Do T-Mobile stores offer micro sim cards free, or do I need to order a new one online? (Read on another forum where some dude said he just walked into a store and got one free...)

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I've always gotten my SIMs for free, but it seems to depend what store you go into and who serves you. I haven't heard anything about older SIM cards not supporting LTE, but I guess it's possible.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
So I've finally decided to ditch my clunky G2x for a used Nexus 4. I'm aware that recent OS updates by Google disable LTE support, which means I'll have to flash a ROM and/or flash older radio firmware to get LTE up and working. While my G2x used a regular sim card, I've noticed the N4 requires a micro sim. I've gotten a hold of instructions on how to cut my regular sim card down to size, but I've also just read elsewhere that older sim cards don't support LTE, only 3G and possibly HSPA+ 42mbps.

If I go through the proper steps to re-enable LTE on my N4, will I also need to buy a new sim card to get it working as well? Do T-Mobile stores offer micro sim cards free, or do I need to order a new one online? (Read on another forum where some dude said he just walked into a store and got one free...)

Since the LG G2 had LTE enabled, they must have given you an LTE compatible sim card so you should be fine. If not, T-Mobile can give you a new one.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to walk in the store and ask for a new one.

As for enabling LTE. You don't need to flash any rom, stock is fine.

You need to:
-unlock the bootloader using fastboot (check the guide threads in the root section)
-flash custom recovery like TWRP using fastboot
-download LTE enable package (try this or this), flash it using TWRP
-preferably factory reset your device using TWRP before rebooting, this make sure the 4G LTE settings sticks

When flashing the LTE enable package, it will add these three lines to the build.prop:
telephony.lteOnGsmDevice=1
ro.telephony.default_network=10
ro.ril.def.preferred.network=10

The preferred network set to 10 means Global mode, it allow the Nexus to automatically switch between 2G/3G/4G. The Nexus do not have hardware technology to make or receive called while connected to LTE. This Global mode will allow the phone automatically revert back to 3G when making or receiving calls. The phone can't do this if its set to an incorrect mode.

These build.prop changes only take effect after a factory reset. You can instead modified settings while in Android OS to change these values without modifying the build.prop, but you may run into issues where after rebooting the 4G settings doesn't stick and the phone revert to 3G, which is why its better to put the changes into the build.prop.

Afterward, for security, you can reflash stock recovery using fastboot, then relock the bootloader. Or leave it the way it is if you want to flash other things. However, unlocking the bootloader again require the phone to be completely wiped.

One thing to note, Google OTA updates will not work with a modified build.prop and radio, which is what the LTE enable package modified. So applying OTA updates will cause the phone to soft brick. To prevent this you need to restore the phone to stock before applying the update, you can use TWRP to make a backup image of the phone in its original state before flashing the LTE enable package.

What I would do after installing TWRP is:
-Create a backup image of the phone in its stock form, uncheck the "cache" and "data" partition from backing up so it won't save your user data.
-When you receive Google OTA update, boot back into TWRP, create another back up image.
-Use TWRP to restore your original stock backup, since you did not back up "data" partition for it, it will not overwrite your present apps and settings.
-Now there are two choices, you can either use fastboot to flash back the stock recovery.img, then boot into the phone and run the OTA update within the phone. Or if you downloaded that OTA update package in zip format, you can boot into TWRP and flash that OTA zip, provided that the TWRP version you are using at that moment is compatible with that latest OTA zip.

Last edited:

zeth006

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You should be able to walk in the store and ask for a new one.

As for enabling LTE. You don't need to flash any rom, stock is fine.

You need to:
-unlock the bootloader using fastboot (check the guide threads in the root section)
-flash custom recovery like TWRP using fastboot
-download LTE enable package (try this or this), flash it using TWRP
-preferably factory reset your device using TWRP before rebooting, this make sure the 4G LTE settings sticks

When flash the LTE enable package, it will add these three lines to the build.prop:
telephony.lteOnGsmDevice=1
ro.telephony.default_network=10
ro.ril.def.preferred.network=10

The preferred network set to 10 means Global mode, it allow the Nexus to automatically switch between 2G/3G/4G. The Nexus do not have hardware technology to make or receive called while connected to LTE. This Global mode will allow the phone automatically revert back to 3G when making or receiving calls. The phone can't do this if its set to an incorrect mode.

These build.prop changes only take effect after a factory reset. You can however, modified in device settings to change these values as well without modifying the build.prop, but you may run into issues where after rebooting the settings doesn't stick and the phone revert to 3G, which is why its better to put the changes into the build.prop.

Do you mean install TWRP or something similar (e.g. CWM)?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Do you mean use something like TWRP to build a recovery rom just in case things go south?

You should always make a backup in recovery whenever flashing something. It's just good to have something to fall back to in case of a bug or bad flash.

zeth006

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You should always make a backup in recovery whenever flashing something. It's just good to have something to fall back to in case of a bug or bad flash.

Ok. And what does he mean by:

"-preferably factory reset your device using TWRP before rebooting, this make sure the 4G LTE settings sticks"

Is he saying to use TWRP to factory reset the phone before performing a reboot after all the steps listed before it? (Sorry, last time I ever flashed something was on my G2x, I used CWM).

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Is he saying to use TWRP to factory reset the phone before performing a reboot after all the steps listed before it? (Sorry, last time I ever flashed something was on my G2x, I used CWM).

I'm not sure. Usually a factory reset in TWRP wipes the phone of it's current rom (but leaves the sd card untouched).

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure. Usually a factory reset in TWRP wipes the phone of it's current rom (but leaves the sd card untouched).
No it doesn't. Factory reset using custom recoveries only wipe /cache and the /data partition except for the /data/media folder, which is the phone's internal storage. However, if you do factory reset in Android OS or using stock recovery, it will wipe /data/media folder.

To wipe the rom / OS, you need to wipe /system partition.

I'm still here, you don't have to refer to me in third person.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
No it doesn't. Factory reset using custom recoveries only wipe /cache and the /data partition except for the /data/media folder, which is the phone's internal storage. However, if you do factory reset in Android OS or using stock recovery, it will wipe /data/media folder.

To wipe the rom / OS, you need to wipe /system partition.

Cool. :p